Ford 8.8 lug nut failure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ford 8.8 lug nut failure

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 05-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
manicjester3
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ford 8.8 lug nut failure

So, I don't post a lot on here, but I figured I would share a little bit of insight that I learned the hard way.

First, a little background: I bought an 8.8 out of a 97 explorer with 247k miles on it for $100 from a yard. I installed it and got my Jeep back on the road this past weekend and drove around all weekend around town to make sure everything was alright. I got about 100 miles before one of my 35" tires decided it wanted to go faster and pass me. Luckily, I was going about 20mph and slowing down on a dirt backroad, so no one was around and no one/nothing got hurt (except my TJ flare). I found all the lugnuts had backed off. I grabbed the tire and my jack, put it back on with the one lugnut I found and one from each of the other wheels and tightened the crap out of it. When I checked the rest of the lugnuts on the other wheels, a couple on the other side rear wheel were starting to back off too. I tightened all of them and couldn't figure out why this happened, the same tires stayed on my dana 35 just fine.

I was talking to a buddy about it and the only thing we could think of is that most, if not all, Explorers came with aluminum wheels which have a thicker mounting surface than steel wheels like I have. The thicker wheel, coupled with dissimilar metals, created corrosion on the closest threads over the course of 247k miles and I was able to torque the lug nuts without them actually seating.

Just some food for thought for anyone doing an 8.8 swap. Could be a freak occurance, or it may be common. Learn from my mistakes, and make sure the studs are clean all the way to the base.

manicjester3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
Krochus
1991 YJ Wrangler 

What wheels do you have?

posted via IPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
"Jeep Wave threads, it's a newb thing, you wouldn't understand!"
Krochus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
manicjester3
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Not positive. They are 15x10 steel wheels that look kind of like Cragar Soft 8s.
Unread 05-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

They shouldn't have backed off. I know if you don't tighten then in a star pattern the lugnuts might not seat well and give a false sense of being tight until the wheels start moving. I have a trashed stud on my 8.8 since I got it and I have never had a problem.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #5
Castr8r
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Torque'em down to 110-120ft-lbs, drive it 40-50 miles and retorque. Check torque every day until it stabilizes, then check fairly frequently. I changed my wheels and tires before going to Moab and checked them every day after wheeling. I always found some that were slightly backed off. They will set eventually and not need to be checked so frequently. BTW; I got my *** dropped several years ago when a newly installed wheeel came off at about 25 mph.

I've done bodywork useing a winch, a tree, a prybar, and a BFH!

Now, my wild oats have turned to prune juice and all-bran...
Castr8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2011, 11:08 PM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I had a wheel decide to pass me in my f150 going 55 in the rain. It was a '95 so I believe it was a full size 8.8. Freak occurrence on my part as well. I'll be installing new studs when I finally get around to tackling the 8.8 that's been in the shop waiting for install.
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 12:12 AM   #7
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Happens with D35 too. You should always torque the lugnuts and then torque again after driving. Had this happen on my YJ when I swapped to 31s last summer. Thankfully I had the top off and it was nice and sunny. Something was making a funny noise, I thought I was going to be replacing a u-joint soon. Got out and checked and my right rear tire only had two lugs left and they were both loose. The noise I was hearing was the rim wobbling around on the studs. All of the other three were a touch loose. This was in the middle of the week after swapping wheels/tires on the weekend.

Not sure if this was because I went from steel stockers to some aluminum wheels with the 31s, all I know is my dad always told me to re-check them, and now I will never forget again.
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 12:37 AM   #8
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

were you running wheel spacers? very common occurrence when spacers are used is for lugs to loosen.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 01:22 AM   #9
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5 View Post
were you running wheel spacers? very common occurrence when spacers are used is for lugs to loosen.
why?
Unread 05-04-2011, 01:24 AM   #10
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

did you use a torque wrench or did you do the "white knuckle-red face" technique? i only ask because you mention, "tighten the crap out of them."
Unread 05-04-2011, 02:06 AM   #11
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castr8r View Post
Torque'em down to 110-120ft-lbs, drive it 40-50 miles and retorque. Check torque every day until it stabilizes, then check fairly frequently. I changed my wheels and tires before going to Moab and checked them every day after wheeling. I always found some that were slightly backed off. They will set eventually and not need to be checked so frequently. BTW; I got my *** dropped several years ago when a newly installed wheeel came off at about 25 mph.
some cheaper spacers have been known to need the above process to be more common place, that is why i ask. i have never used spacers nor do i intend to (anything over 1/2" is illegal in PA). however there a few threads with just the OP's scenario starting the thread with a pic of a broken and beaten spacer. i'm not demonizing the use of them i am simply trying to diagnose the cause of such a failure, and since i have read it has happened to others i thought i would ask the OP if he was using then at the time.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ti...ilure-1054227/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wh...riving-212196/

like i said not demonizing them, properly installing a quality spacer might not have failed in either of these instances but just showing that it does happen.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 07:13 AM   #12
manicjester3
1994 YJ Wrangler 

No spacers or anything. I ended up replacing the studs that the wheel fell off on and chasing the ones on the other side with a die. Everything is torqued and I drove it 50 miles to work no problem. I will check the torque before I leave.

When I said I tightened the crap out of them, it was on the side of the road without a torque wrench or anything. The threads were really chewed up at the bottom and I had to put a lot of force on them to get the lugnuts to chew new threads.

This was really just meant as an FYI so other people don't make a dumb mistake like me. I usually keep a harbor freight torque wrench in my car for just such an occasion, but I needed my 3/4 socket for something else and forgot to put it back.
Unread 05-04-2011, 07:58 AM   #13
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Problem is not axle specific.

It is common when the wheels are not torqued and then retorqued properly.
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.