Ford 8.8 locker and gear ratios - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ford 8.8 locker and gear ratios

Up to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer PurchaseFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 06-04-2002, 11:25 AM   #1
bighair

Ford 8.8 locker and gear ratios

Hey guy's,

Lockers replace all the spider gears in the carrier. do you somehow put your spider gears into the locker? reuse them, or does the locker completely replace the gears? and you no longer need the gears?

If you put your spider gears into the locker, I'm looking for a 4.10 ration for a Ford 8.8".. I curently have 3.55 but they do not match with my front.

Please help

Thanks

Unread 06-04-2002, 11:40 AM   #2
moabster
2011 WK 

Hi,
The spider gears and carrier are replaced when you put in the locker. The gear ratio refers to the Ring and pinion gears. The Ring gear bolts onto the Carrier and the pinion connects to the drive shaft. Here is a URL that explains how it works pretty well:
<a href="http://www.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm" target="_blank">How stuff works - differentials</a>

Some of the links from this site have pretty good diagrams as well.
Bullet Proof Front and Rear Bumpers and Tow bar
moabster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2002, 06:06 AM   #3
bighair

Thansk Moabster.

it's all good now.. hehe now I have to find a R & P 4.10 ratio for a ford 8.8.. no yards around here want to separate the gears from the axles. hehe
Unread 06-05-2002, 09:35 AM   #4
Prime Lord

Location: Chesapeake, VA (My office is just hell w/ florescent lighting)
I wouldnt buy used gears but thats just me....Summit racing sells Ford Motorsport 4.10's for the 8.8. They run about $170. Those are the ones I would get. Being a Ford guy, I can tell you that they know what they're doing when it comes to this stuff.

As far as the locker....If you get a powertrax (lock-rite or no-slip) it just replaces the spiders. If you get an ARB, Ox, or Detroit it replaces EVERYTHING including the carrier.
[url="http://community.webshots.com/album/37357975IlmeHK"]'92 YJ Islander[/url], 4.0, 5-speed. 1" Daystar Body Lift, 31x10.50 Goodyear MT/R's, CJ Style (87-91) Roll Bar, ARB Safari Snorkel, K&N Panel Filter, Dynomax SuperTurbo Catback. Still hunting for TJ Sahara flares!!!

[url="http://community.webshots.com/album/37557247daBfyQ"]'87 Mustang T-Top GT[/url], Maximum Motorsports: Rear LCA's, 4-point K-Member brace, & Std Length Subframe Connectors, FRPP 'C' Springs, Mac Pro-Chamber, Chrome BBK equal length shorties, B&M Ripper w/ leather cobra knob.
Prime Lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.