Ford 8.8 Axle Swap - Replace Diff Bearings? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ford 8.8 Axle Swap - Replace Diff Bearings?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ford 8.8 Axle Swap - Replace Diff Bearings?

On Friday I picked up an 8.8 with 4L10 gears to swap out the Dana 35. It came out of an explorer with 135K miles. Should I replace any of the following?

carrier bearings
pinion bearings
pinion seal
axle bearings
axle seals

If you put the shims back in the same locations the contact pattern would not change, correct?

<<< has done a couple of axles before and will have to do the Dana 30 anyway.

Unread 02-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I would leave it alone unless it's leaking at the seals. If not then there is probably nothing wrong with the bearings.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Unread 02-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The bearings are hard to get out anyhow,so as Canman said...

If you put the shims exactly where the came from, the pattern should be the same.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I plan on welding the tubes and housing and have been told it is best to do that on an empty housing.

Is that the consensus?
Unread 02-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I welded my tubes in small stages. An inch or 2 at a time, never letting it get hot. took a 1/2 hour or so but no worries. Did it with full, less lube(no cover on it)diff.
Used a stick welder, 240 volt, and nickel rods. (had to rent the welder as my 120v wire welder was not able to do it right)
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Used a stick welder, 240 volt, and nickel rods.
Any issues with the welds cracking? I used .045 solid MIG wire (ER70s?) on the last 8.8 I built, but I have been thinking about using nickel with my DC stick machine on my next build. I never had issues with the .045 welds, but I ended up selling the Jeep so I have no idea what the long term results have been welding on the pumpkin.
jason280 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Before I got my welder my friend helped me weld mine up. He used a a 120 amp Miller I believe, I know it was small. He did 3 separate welds on the tube/housing on each side and everything turned out great. I've beat on my 8.8 pretty good and everything looks fine a year later.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #9
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

After spending half a day searching and reading there are many opinions on how to correctly weld the tube to housing joint. Tubes are steel and housing is cast steel. Here are some recommendations.

- MIG w/standard wire
- MIG with some special wire
- preheat it before welding
- no need to preheat
- 7018 stick weld it
- high nickle stick weld it
- JB weld it ( just kidding)

Some say use a fixture to prevent warping. Some say they have never used a fixture and never had a problem. I have to weld spring perches and shock mounts on anyway and if it gets warped I'll take it somewhere and get it straightened.

Some say take the thing apart before you weld anything to prevent heat or scale from damaging the bearings.

I'm confused.
Unread 02-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #10
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

As long as the housing isnt glowing bright red just go for it bro ! I even left my junkyard brake pads and spraypainted rotors on mine. Made it bolt up, made the brakes work and drove it. If it aint broke dont fix it

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #11
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I used 7018 rod, tacked the perches then welded a little on each and moved around to keep the heat down. probably didn't need to but better safe than sorry. one thing in your post, pretty sure that IF you do manage to warp it you can't straighten it.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.