Ford 302 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ford 302

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-12-2002, 05:14 PM   #1
Josh Burrito

Ford 302

My teacher just sold me a ford 302 out of his F-150. He said he can give me the transmission too if I want it, but will it fit my Jeep? If not, what tranny will I need to buy?
Are there any other mods I need to make?

Josh Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2002, 05:39 PM   #2
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

The 302 will fit in there like it was made for it! There are many trans options and I'm not an expert here - (I run the NV4500)
Perhaps this will be some help:
Jeep trans

Advance Adaptors is another place that will have info on making stuff work.
Unread 02-12-2002, 06:24 PM   #3
Josh Burrito

Thanks for your reply... Are you using a ford 302? How do you know it fits so great? do you know if the ford tranny will work? if not which tranny should I buy?

Does anyone have any other useful information?
Unread 02-14-2002, 02:08 AM   #4
87JeepWrangler

Josh Burrito,
i havent done a swap yet, but i plan on it very shortly. anyway, i have done a TON of reading, and agree that that engine will fit well with an adaptor. as for the tranny, what are you looking for in a tranny, and what tranny did he sell you? ford trans's work good in jeeps because ford xfer case's use a drivers side drop for the front driveshaft. going with a ford drivetrain in a jeep allows for easy conversions because you dont need to buy expensive conversions from chevy(or other) to jeep xfer cases.

although there is still a lot of work involved, you may save money by going with a ford drivetrain.

things you will still need to do with ford drivetrain:
1. purchase a conversion engine mount
2. purchase a new(custom) exhaust system
3. purchase new(custom) driveshafts for front and back.
4. adapt for new clutch linkage(if manual trans)
5. new radiator(big enough for new engine)
6. some other odds and ends to finish things up, like carb. linkage, etc.

i hope i helped a little without too much jibber jabber. if you still want more info(from a not quite expert... me) feel free to ask.
Unread 02-14-2002, 02:11 AM   #5
87JeepWrangler

PS...
i am a moron.... do you have a cj, wrangler, other? the info i gave you applies to a wrangler, but not necessarily a cj.

disregard what i said if you have a cj, your front driveshaft will be on the passenger side if you have a stock cj
Unread 02-15-2002, 05:21 PM   #6
NOVA Jeeper56

hey rob do you have any suggestions on what engine i should get and drivtrain that will fit the best but also work the best and for the right cost?? does anyone?? (looking at 302's, and 305's)
NOVA Jeeper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2002, 08:35 PM   #7
Josh Burrito

Yes, I can get the whole sha-bang from my teacher.. 302, tranny, transfercase, and maybe axles.... If I were to use the complete ford drivetrain, I would need custom driveshafts, right? Also, would the shifter holes line up? It is a 92 wrangler.

Can you give me some prices on some of the crap I will need to buy? Im starting to price out the whole project...
Unread 02-16-2002, 02:22 AM   #8
87JeepWrangler

well, im no expert. especially on ford stuff, but i think both a 302 and a 305 would both work well. personally i love chevy engines, but like i said before, chevy transfer cases cant be used in post 87 jeeps due to the front pumpkin being on the driver side. i have also read a lot about the ease of which a ford trans can be adapted to a chevy engine. this is why i am chosing that setup.

for me, the "right cost" is going to involve me buying a used trans and xfer, but i think i can afford a new engine. so that will be the route i am taking. for you, you may be able to afford all new, or maybe only all used. basically there are ways to adapt almost anything you can find. especially if you can pull an entire working drivetrain from an existing vehicle. that may be the best way to go, because it can be done so inexpensively. well, once again, i hope i helped a little without too much talk.
Unread 02-17-2002, 04:01 PM   #9
Josh Burrito

Any other suggestions?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.