Flywheel - trigger teeth vs. without - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Flywheel - trigger teeth vs. without

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 04-26-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
fran87yj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Flywheel - trigger teeth vs. without

I just finished a tanny swap on my 87yj from the BA10/5 to the AX15. During the process I replaced my flywheel. Went to start the jeep and there is a loud grinding sound- metal on metal. Come to find out the flywheel I installed comes with or without tigger teeth for an 87. I had the flywheel without trigger teeth and installed the one with trigger teeth. The teeth are grinding on my starter.

What is the difference between the flywheels and is there a different starter I can buy to fit or do I need to take everything back off and replace the flywheel with the other one? They both come up for an 87yj, I am assuming there must be a starter that I can replace mine with.

Anyone know?

fran87yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I think what you got was a flywheel out of an injected (4.0) 6cyl. As such you should be able to get a starter out of a 4.0 cherokee

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
fran87yj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

thanks. I am sure I can replace my starter and solve my problem. I just need to figure out which one I need.
fran87yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There were 2 starter options on the 4.2. You probably have the larger one with the firewall mounted solenoid. Get one for a 4.0L. The one in my 89 4.2 was exactly the same as the one in the 92 4.0. Much smaller diameter starter with the solenoid mounted on the starter
Unread 05-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #5
johnnykind
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Wow exactly the opposite thing happened to me I had the flywheel with the trigger teeth and they sent me the one without, now I'm trying to find the right starter also...got the older style ford starter but it fits too tight the Bendix wont disengage from the flywheel...still trying to make it fit...let me know what happens with yours ...
johnnykind is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.