flywheel/starter question... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > flywheel/starter question...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 10-23-2006, 08:17 PM   #1
BillR
2005 LJ Wrangler 

flywheel/starter question...

I'm in the process of swapping engines. My YJ is an '89, and the "new" engine is an '85. Both are from manual trannies.
I got the starter with the CJ engine, and it's a large starter with the "hump" on the side and only one terminal. The starter from the YJ is a two-piece unit with the bendix mounted on the outside and 3 wires total going to it.
The flywheel from the CJ engine is just under 1.5" wide, with the ring gear beginning about 1/2" from the seperator plate between the block and bellhousing. The flywheel from the YJ engine is under 1 1/4" wide, with the ring gear beginning on the inside edge of the 'wheel right next to the block/plate. The YJ 'wheel also has the slots cut for the CPS, even though mine's a carb unit.
1. Why the differences in the flywheels as far as size? Balance?
2. Can the YJ flywheel be swapped over to the CJ engine OR can the CJ starter somehow be made to work in the YJ?
TIA!

Unread 10-23-2006, 08:24 PM   #2
lah2420
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've got an 87 Wrangler with a 75 block in it. I used the 87 flywheel and starter.
lah2420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2006, 09:01 PM   #3
koeingsyj

Did you try fitting it. The starter will probably work. As for the flywheels I really have no idea. I know when I swapped my 87 for and 89 engine the flywheels and starter were different. Couldnt really figure that one out.
koeingsyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2006, 09:09 PM   #4
BillR
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koeingsyj
Did you try fitting it. The starter will probably work. As for the flywheels I really have no idea. I know when I swapped my 87 for and 89 engine the flywheels and starter were different. Couldnt really figure that one out.
The YJ starter won't work on the CJ flywheel. The throw of the bendix is shorter on the YJ starter, hence the reason for the different location of the ring gear.
Unread 10-24-2006, 07:32 AM   #5
BillR
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lah2420
I've got an 87 Wrangler with a 75 block in it. I used the 87 flywheel and starter.
This would be the easiest way as long as I'm not messing up the engine's balance...
Unread 05-04-2011, 11:02 PM   #6
johnnykind
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I know this is an old post but did anyone ever figure out if the cj style starter will work in the yj I rebuilt the motor and got a new flywheel but they sent me the early 87 more like the cj style with out the CPS ring...tried the old starter first obviously that didn't work so I tried the cj starter and it fits but its really tight the Bendix wont disengage from the flywheel. will a better starter from Napa work or do I just have to pull the tranny and put the old flywheel back on ??? really don't want to pull that tranny !!!
johnnykind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.