Flywheel question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Flywheel question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
epettit
2013 JK Wrangler 

Flywheel question

I am swapping the BA10 out next weekend with a AX15 and am going to buy a new flywheel in my 87 YJ instead of having the old one resurfaced. Looking at the pictures on different auto parts websites the flywheel for a 87YJ looks to have some funny looking teeth if you will next to the ring gear????

Is that the correct one for my year model?? I have not pulled mine part to see if the one installed looks the same way. I did not want to buy the wrong one!!!!

Thanks in advance

Unread 01-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Always good to ask. The picture posted below I borrowed from Richmond88YJ, it is posted up in his BA10/5 to AX15 swap thread in the FAQ, also worth reading, so it is linked below.

Your flywheel should look like this:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/y...ite-up-312203/

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The inner ring in the pic is a reluctor ring. It is for a crank position sensor and isnt needed for the carbed 4.2L. I know there is differences with the starters between the ba 10/ax 15. I am not sure but you can do a search for it.

This thread explains how to google the forum and get through the thousands of post:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...oogle-1003734/
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
epettit
2013 JK Wrangler 

I did not think it would matter since the flywheel and ring gear will not change with the new flywheel since it will be the safer year as came out and the starter mounts from the front into the bell housing which I thought were interchangeable

Anyone????
Unread 01-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure. I seem to remember something about the Ford start but according to this thread you are ok:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...4-2-a-1026286/
Unread 01-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
trboxman

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I just did a BA10/5 to AX15 replacement this past July. That is not the flywheel that I have on my '87. That is a flywheel from an '88+. The reluctor ring notches, the square cutouts, are for a crank position sensor that wasn't used until later. The '87 doesn't have the reluctor ring notches. If you put that flywheel on an '87 you'll need to change your starter to match. The '87 starter will work just fine with an AX15 and the correct flywheel.

The '87 flywheel is the same as the '86 CJ flywheel.
Unread 01-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
epettit
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the head up. I better take a peek at mine with a borescope before I purchase one. I am trying to get all the parts on hand before I swap it due to it a daily driver.

As is sits today with the BA10 when you start the engine the starter is very loud as in what I can only explain as screechy. The prev owner had just replaced the starter..... I wonder if he got the correct one.
Unread 01-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
trboxman

1987 YJ Wrangler 

It's very common for the part houses to not correctly list the '87 specific parts, in most cases it's a part that would be the same on an '86 CJ. I bought my replacement flywheel from Napa, they had the part correctly listed.

You can run the '88 flywheel and '88 starter with no issues, it's just that you can't mismatch '87 and '88 parts.
Unread 01-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That was it. I knew there was something different.
Unread 01-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #10
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, the one in my post above is from an 88, I didn't think they changed style until they switched over to the 4.0 but will try to look at part numbers online. The picture below for comparison is from my 93 4.0

So for O'Reilley's online, I'm gonna have to cry foul. They list the same number (NFW2006) for the 87 as well as the 88, but then they had the same part number and same photo for YJ 6 cylinder flywheels all the way up to 93 where I just quit looking. I know this isn't right, and yes, you're going to have to physically see your flywheel before you can really be sure of what to get from the parts store. Sorry I couldn't break the code on this one.

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread 01-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I thought there was a change with going away from ford starters and the throw of it being different. I just remember reading it I never seen it myself.
Unread 01-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #12
trboxman

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, the early YJs had lots of transitional parts as they changed transmissions, transfer cases, starters, flywheels, v-belts to serpentine, etc. It can be a bit tough to nail down exactly what you need and how to make sure you get the right stuff from the parts houses.
Unread 01-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

If your 87 is a Wrangler stock you have a 258. Only fuel injected 4.0 for the Cherokee (pre 91 was a renix ) and not in till 91 did the Wrangler get a 4.0. Your 258 share a lot of the same parts as a CJ.
1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #14
Renegad87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I made this mistake when I rebuilt my engine. I bought a new flywheel 88-95 for my 87 and as people have said above a newer flywheel will work great with everything except the starter. You will need to purchase an 88-95 starter to match it. Not a big deal since the holes are the same. Only change is the wiring since the newer starter has a solenoid on it. Simple fix is to run a new wire from the old starter solenoid (mounted on the firewall) to the new one so the gear engages when the ignition is turned to start.

If you want I have pictures I can upload.

It's worth the switch since the gear reduction starter is so much smoother/quieter than the old ford model and draws less amps.
Renegad87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #15
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Send the pictures.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.