flywheel moves around and believe the torque converter is making a ticking noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > flywheel moves around and believe the torque converter is making a ticking noise

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Closed Thread
Unread 05-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
89CoolJeep

flywheel moves around and believe the torque converter is making a ticking noise

I have a 89 yj with the 258 and auto tranny. I got my motor redone and at first it was good. But know the flywheel moves all around and has a tick noise to it. I'm thinking my flex plate could be messed up or just the torque converter is making noise. Any ideas how to stop this

Unread 05-15-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The flex plate is probably cracked. Pull the bottom inspection cover off of the bottom of the bellhousing and take a look. Usually they crack right around the bolts for the torque converter. If so you gotta pull the trans and replace the flex plate. Oh and get new bolts too.
Unread 05-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
89CoolJeep

its a new flex plate if that makes any difference. Before I rebuilt the motor the one I took off was cracked ito like 10 different pieces. I know I have the skillz to do it, but I am worried its not that and just something dumb. Also kind of sounds like a slight exhaust leak but when I put my ear to it the noise is coming from where the motor meets the tranny
Unread 05-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
89CoolJeep

When the truck is cold it doesn't make the noise as much, but it appears to be getting loader. Anway to visually see what's wrong, I really hate this ticking noise
Unread 05-16-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
djsmith1174
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Were you able to check the torque of the torque converter bolts? There's also the possibility that one or more of the flexplate bolts have come loose. That's where I'd start. Of course, to get to the flexplate bolts you have to separate the engine and tranny and you can evaluate the flexplate condition at that time.
Unread 05-16-2010, 05:54 PM   #6
89CoolJeep

I am thinking since the fly wheel is not straight it is tapping against that very thin plate between motor and transmission. It's a plate with teeth but it is not solid. It has a weld every few inchs and i'm guessing when they replaced during my motor rebuild the guy didn't weld it straight. I believe my exhaust is slightly leaking at the headers, the gasket only lasted a few months. I cannot put my hand by the headers to find the leak so what is the eat way to find the leak, and If I do find it can I solve it without takin everything off. Since I have an auto the headers hit the shifter linkage that and the pipe that goes from exhaust to intake manifold, makes it a true pain In the *** to change the gasket
Closed Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.