Flowmaster 40 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Flowmaster 40

Old Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble Fairleads

Unread 09-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
Chase0808
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Flowmaster 40

I recently purchased a flowmaster 40 off of Craigslist. It looks great and I ant wait to get it on. It is a dual exhaust and I didn't want to make mine a dual. I was wondering if there is a way to change the muffler into a single instead of dual. Will there be back pressure problems?

Sent from my YJ

Chase0808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
SoNova
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Chase0808, I will probably get torn apart for this answer but I did the same thing on my YJ. My muffler rusted off and the day I cut it off a friend gave me a flowmaster 40 that he cut off of his truck. Being broke and in need of a muffler I welded it on. The length was almost the same as stock but the inlet and out tubes on the 40 were considerably larger. I just pie cut the muffler openings and reduced them down then welded the pies up then welded the muffler on. Then I just welded a plate over the second opening and off I went. As far as the backpressure goes I am not an expert but I will tell you I have run it that way for around 6 or 7 years and haven't noticed any problems. It looks kind of back woods redneck, but I was in a hard spot and I did it for the cost of a couple feet of welding wire, besides looks (especially underneath) don't make my jeep perform any different. I just used what I had to get it back on the road, plus it sounds better than the stock muffler and everyone knows sound adds horsepower right?
SoNova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:52 AM   #3
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

my flowmaster sounds great too. no idea on anything about it because it was hanging underneath and not hooked up when i bought the jeep but a local shop welded it up nice and pretty and its been that way for years now. cover the opening like mentioned above and ride
Unread 09-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNova View Post
...and everyone knows sound adds horsepower right?
Same principle as swag stickers....
Unread 09-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #5
Chase0808
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Would I be able to use something like this to turn the dual exhaust into a single without negatively affecting anything?

image-2794670632.jpg

Sent from my YJ
Chase0808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

you could as long as you can get the inlets/outlets in a size to match your current pipe & muffler

only potential problem I see is that USUALLY that type of pipe is intended as a traditional Y-pipe... 2 pipes going in and a single outlet. in that case, the outlet is usually the same size (or more likely larger) than each of the inlets.... your situation I imagine would be reversed.

check Summit or Jegs for the best selection of sizes on that

Good luck
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.