Flowkooler install story - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Flowkooler install story

Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-31-2010, 07:49 AM   #1
70sElvis
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Flowkooler install story

I finally got around to installing the troubling Flowkooler waterpump. I say troubling because I had to go round and round until I got the correct pump. Mostly my own fault (with a little assistance from 4wd.com). HINT: Always make sure you know which way your water-pump turns. Some turn clockwise and some turn counter-clockwise. Pump went on fine but when I want to bolt on the pulley on front of the pump, luckily I tried turning the pulley on the shaft before bolting it up. I heard a little metal scraping sound as I turned it. After looking at the two water pumps, I saw where the original water pump had a flat water inlet. The flowkooler had a round inlet. I at first thought about grinding a little off of the inlet but then I remembered how much it had been bored out for more water flow. I ended up sticking four small washers between the pulley and the shaft(one on each bolt). This moved the pulley just enough not to scrap but not enough to cause anything to be out of line with the belt.
Also make sure you check your lower hose to make sure it has a spring in it. It is recommended in the install instructions. Since this pump is supposed to increase water pressure, I made sure I checke dall of my hoses (including heater hoses) and tightened all of the clamps. Fired her up and success. I let the engine come to normal operating temperature with no leaks. I noticed it was about 20 degrees cooler than normal which helped my electric fan to stop cycling as much.

70sElvis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 09:52 AM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Nice. Thanks for sharing.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I can share my experience with Flowkooler. I bought one almost 2 years ago through 4wheelparts store. It arrived, they called me. I opened the box at home. Mine came with 2 gaskets. Reason being was you have to move the pump a little further away from the engine block because the pump blades had a plate pop riveted over it to capture more water apparently. Problem I had was even with the extra gasket, the rivets were still hitting the exterior wall of the piston cast on the block when I tightened the pump bolts down, and spun the pump shaft. What I had to do was literally bend the blades of the pump a little closer to the pump housing, just to get that little extra clearance away from the engine block. That was frustrating as I was pressed for time and did not have time to just return it, and I would have if I had time. I ran that pump for almost a year. I did like it, and liked the concept. It moves more volume of water through the engine at lower rpms. The bearing proved to be strong. What happened was it started leaking from the doubled gaskets. Gaskets are not made to be doubled up like that. I had a factory new waterpump, so I just replaced it with that. I still have to Flowkooler pump on the shelf, just sitting there with the pop rivets and circular sheet metal shroud secured to the blades. It is an interesting concept, but a design flaw imo in how they made mine. I don't know if they improved the design or not on the ones they are selling now. I would hope so. I would buy another one if that is the case, if not, they can keep it.

Last edited by moonshinefuel; 04-01-2010 at 12:02 AM..
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 07:37 AM   #4
70sElvis
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Bummer! Luckily I did not have an issue with the pump fitting too close in the engine block. I was able to use just one of the gaskets.
Unread 04-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe they addressed the problem then. That's good. Are they using the pop rivets and circular sheet metal fabrication design on top of the pump blades?
Unread 04-01-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
70sElvis
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It had the circular sheet of metal but I am going to be honest, I dont think it had rivets. It may have actually been made onto the blade. I wish now that I had paid more attention to that.
Unread 04-01-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That sounds much better if they have that new design. You probably would have noticed the rivets. It stands out, it did for me anyways.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.