Flooding issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Flooding issues

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 10-06-2013, 12:14 AM   #1
mangomankw
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Flooding issues

I have 1990 wrangler 2.5cyl. and it is flooding out when I try to start it. I know very little about engines however my friend is a certified mechanic that works on Jeeps a lot and we are both stumped. So here is what is going on. The Jeep started giving me trouble when I tried to start it. You could smell gas without even hitting the gas. When driving and changing gears it would try to shut off on me like it was flooded. We have changed the following parts: The computer, the dist cap and rotor, plugs, the position sensor, Map sensor, new fuel injector, we rebuilt the part that pushes on the butterfly (sorry don't know the name), fuel filter, new fuel pressure reg ( the new spring would not fit in the old space so we used the old spring and new diaphragm, new coil, and the part the coil plugs into ( again don't know the name), checked the relay. The 2 plugs closest to the dash would be wet with gas, and the compression was at 120 in all 4 cylinders. Maybe some things I forgot. At this point the injector is spraying less fuel but drips fuel in the throttle body to the point that there is fuel puddling in the bottom. When you turn it over there is the initial spray of fuel then a dribble of fuel until you take out the key or relay. Ok there you have it feel free to ask any questions and if I can't answer I will ask my friend Thanks

mangomankw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Your injector is bad. It says its new but if anything is coming out of the injector before it starts your injector is bad. You also need to read the fuel pressure. it should be at 15 psi. The pressure test will tell you a bunch of things. Go through this thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...start-1496037/
Use the links to get to Shaefs threads.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
mangomankw
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Que very much having another sent to me
Unread 10-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Do the fuel pressure test both before and after. There are other issues that might be going on. You replaced the regulator then you need to adjust the pressure.
Unread 10-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
mangomankw
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ok got new injector in will check fuel pressure. It starts when cold but rough and runs good once going however when it reaches temp it dies on me. Was told it could be the head does that make any sense?
Unread 10-21-2013, 04:55 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Fuel pressure test. Like I said there might be something else going on. The fuel pressure test will show it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.