Flooded engine? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-06-2007, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
dgm5186
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Flooded engine?

Alright this may sound like a somewhat stupid question but I figured before I shelled out some money to get a tow truck, I'd ask my buddies on here.

Heres the problem, stupid me left indicator lights on for 6 hours during the day, went out and cranked it over. Started fine! Thank goodness I thought. I was parked on a steep rocky incline though and went to back up and stalled the darn thing after it was only running 2-3minutes. I was like oh darn, I'll just turn the key over and it should start up fine again. Noooope! It just cranks and cranks and cranks, battery gauge is dipping halfway into the orange and lower at this point so I decided to come in and post a quick question as to whether I maybe flooded my engine with gas or just needs a quick charge? I'm at school by the way so that's why I can't... really do anything about it! Thanks for the help.

~dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-06-2007, 02:22 PM
SonofSam02
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well, considering that you or someone you know has jumper cables, i would try that first. Its a hell of a lot cheaper than a tow truck. You may need a new battery though
post #3 of 14 Old 09-06-2007, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
dgm5186
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, well I just thought that if the engine could crank, it probably had enough power to start. However after searching endless pages through this forum. I tried a tip I saw which was to hold down the pedal to the floor therefor turning off the injectors and letting lots of air into the engine to clear it. Didn't work because the cranking really started to get slow so I know the battery is just tired at this point. Found one of my buddies who is gonna try and jump me. Thanks for the tip though, the battery is only a few months old and a good battery. I've left my headlights/indicators on for 6 hours while at class since I'm a retard, will come back and it will start up just fine.

~dan

post #4 of 14 Old 09-06-2007, 02:52 PM
NEPhillyJeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Hey you need to recharge the battery if it is only that old. I'm sure that you have heard of batteries having what they advertise as "cold" cranking amps and such. The thing with a batter is that you can have 12 Volts, but not enough kick (amps) behind it to start. So you could either put it on a charger or run it for a good while and you should be golden.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-06-2007, 03:42 PM
bamato

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah sometimes you have a dead cell on the battery. It's not flooded though. Hard to do that on FI engines.

/l , [____],
l---L--?lllllll?-
()_) ()_)----)_)
Mud is your Friend :)

Tread Lightly
Please help keep our trails clean for future generations to enjoy outdoor recreation as well!
post #6 of 14 Old 09-06-2007, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
dgm5186
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm flabbergasted, charged the battery fully from two other cars and would crank and crank and crank. No luck... had to get it towed to my mechanic!:-( Thank goodness for triple a. I really don't understand what happened... it ran, I stalled it, and now it won't run. Good grief...

~Dan
post #7 of 14 Old 09-06-2007, 07:35 PM
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

CPS sensor?

I don't know why, but whenever my Cherokee's battery drains, it'll start. It will turn over once every second or two, and on the 3rd or 4th turn fires without a hitch.

-Matt

White '94 YJ Sport
Green '94 XJ Sport - 57,000 Original miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-06-2007, 10:03 PM
SWAMPRNR
1994 YJ Wrangler 

How much fuel was in it ? I parked mine on a steep hill once with very little fuel in it and it wouldn't start till i rolled it to level ground

A Big Hammer Can Fix Anything....
post #9 of 14 Old 09-06-2007, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
dgm5186
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Full tank of gas... I think my Jeep breaks whenever I treat it to a completely full tank of gas... I'd think she'd like it full...
post #10 of 14 Old 09-07-2007, 05:27 AM
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgm5186
Full tank of gas... I think my Jeep breaks whenever I treat it to a completely full tank of gas... I'd think she'd like it full...

Any other conditions at the time?? What kind of angle, Nose down or nose up?? Could have disturbed the crud in the bottom of the tank and now your filter is clogged. Were you able to determine if you had spark or fuel???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
post #11 of 14 Old 09-07-2007, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
dgm5186
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The Jeep wasn't really even tipped in any one direction. If anything it was slanted towards the passenger side. Spark... well I tried to check for it but didn't have a spark plug wrench so I just removed one of the rubber boots off the distributor and held it up to that, wasn't sure if the spark would jump that far. Didn't see any so not sure. I am thinking it's something to do with the ignition system. I checked for fuel pressure and had it so what else could it really be ya know? Thanks for the help guys.

~Dan
post #12 of 14 Old 09-07-2007, 06:23 AM
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Thinking, you may still want to try and replace the batt to see what happens. If it is at a mechanic, have them test the ignition system including batt, alt and starter.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
post #13 of 14 Old 09-11-2007, 01:39 PM
NEPhillyJeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Lesson learn'd from this weekend...

have you checked all your wiring connections? This weekend I was doing a compression check on my rig and somehow knocked loose a connection on the right side of the engine. Well, I went to warm the engine up and it would just turn over and not start. So after throwing a wrench and taking another sip of coffee. I looked over the engine again and there sure enough was a connection that had come off. Sad, to say I can't rememeber what it went too, but more and more it sounds as though you have an electrical problem.

Good luck
post #14 of 14 Old 09-11-2007, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
dgm5186
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys for all the help... after 3 days of electrical testing and whatnot... my mechanic and I ruled out the computer fried somehow. It was not working very well and was spewing out a bunch of random codes. I'll have a new computer on friday I guess and we'll see how it works out.

~Dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.