Float Bowl Vent Hose identification- Weber install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Float Bowl Vent Hose identification- Weber install

New Product Release: Flowmaster CA Legal Direct-Fit CatalyPartsHubDirect: Hella LED Lighting, HID Xenon, Headlamps, Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic Halog

Unread 06-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
Wranglin88yJ42
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Float Bowl Vent Hose identification- Weber install

So I know there are 100 posts on the Weber upgrade, but I cannot find anything that helps me to identify the FLOAT BOWL VENT HOSE.

I'm putting the Weber K551-38 into a 1988 Sahara 4.2.

Can someone please take a look at the picture of my Carter at the below link and tell me which is the FLOAT BOWL VENT HOSE? If you can identify the other labeled hoses, that would also be a great help. Many thanks!

http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/Wr...f0527.jpg.html

Wranglin88yJ42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

can't open link at work.

i didn;t think weber had vents hoses for the bowl
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
Wranglin88yJ42
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The Weber 38 has a float bowl vent hose fitting to the left of the fuel supply inlet (sort of points at the grill of the jeep). Unless there is something unique to 1988 4.2L's, the Weber 38 has the fitting for the float bowl vent hose and specifies to connect it in the "installation guide."

Not sure why the link won't work, it just goes right to photobucket when I click.

Thanks for any and all feedback, new to the Jeep community and could use a little help on this one.
Unread 06-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

My work blocks photobucket. I can look now

What is that carb off of? Numbe 4 is the solenoid that bumps your idle up when you turn the ac on. That tiny little hose at number 3 looks like it goes to the cruise control or to something like that, maybe the distributor though. The bowl vent would go the filter housing, I would imagine. Not all carbs have that so its not important. The other hose, no idea.

Got anothe view? Lik from th overhead showing the whole bay? That sure looks like a stock carb from another manufacturer vehicle.
Unread 06-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You sure that's not a stock carb made by weber? Like a stock replacement for the carter?
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
Wranglin88yJ42
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry for the delay, I work nights once in a while. Here is a photo of the engine bay:
http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/Wr...247e8.jpg.html
You can see where the carb used to sit at 1 o'clock from the fuel fiter.

I also included one shot of the carb where you can see the back, which wasn't visible before:
http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/Wr...tml?sort=3&o=1

Last I included a few pictures of the carb fully removed, in case that helps:
http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/Wr...b8dce.jpg.html
http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/Wr...405c9.jpg.html
http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/Wr...cb96b.jpg.html

You were correct, this is not the original Carter. I assumed it was since the rig only has 90K orig. on it, but once removed I can see that it says "UREMCO Remanufactured" on one side and "Carter-Weber 273" on the other. If you have any advice or knowledge as to what connections are important/relevant to the Weber K551-38 and which connections get plugged up/unused by the new Weber, that would be greatly appreciated.

First time doing a carb swap, want to make sure I'm doing it correct. Many thanks.
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

do you have emissions or visual inspections of the engine in your area? that will decide what you need and what you don;t need?

a different weber, like a 32/36, a 34, or a 38 won;t have the bowl vent. my 32/36 and my 34 didn;t have it. all the 38s didn;t have them in the pictures.
Unread 10-02-2013, 02:14 AM   #8
fabin4130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wranglin88yJ42 View Post
So I know there are 100 posts on the Weber upgrade, but I cannot find anything that helps me to identify the FLOAT BOWL VENT HOSE.

I'm putting the Weber K551-38 into a 1988 Sahara 4.2.

Can someone please take a look at the picture of my Carter at the below link and tell me which is the FLOAT BOWL VENT HOSE? If you can identify the other labeled hoses, that would also be a great help. Many thanks!

http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/Wr...f0527.jpg.html
Start by throwing everything that is conected to the original carb in the garbage. get down to a bare intake plug all necessary vacuum ports find a key on hot wire a you vacuum advance hose and a plug to fit over the float bowl vent hose thing you don't need it.
fabin4130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.