Flexplate,Trans,Starter Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Flexplate,Trans,Starter Questions

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-07-2010, 06:37 AM   #1
SkullTripper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Flexplate,Trans,Starter Questions

Ok I'll make a list...I explain a bit before I ask questions so you can see what I'm lookin for

I have a 4.0 swap and I think the stock transmission and the stock flexplate I've been lead to believe that... it is not possible to even crank my Jeep with this combo because of the CPS but my Jeep starts fine (kinda) it'll start but it has a good bit of chatter I just bought a new 4.2 starter still makes the noise I also bought a new flexplate( 4.2 ) because the old one has rust and cracks around the bolt holes (no missing teeth) SOOOO onto my questions

1.Should I install the new 4.2 Flexplate or do I need to buy a 4.0 flexplate?
2.How can I tell what transmission I have in my Jeep?
3.Does this mean I have a hesko (or other brand) CPS kit?

I'l leave it here for the time being

[COLOR="Lime"][B]My 1987 Jeep Wrangler Build..[/B][/COLOR]
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/z-o-r-v-87yj-build-slow-978747/[/url]
SkullTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
SkullTripper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Unread 04-07-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
BadAddetude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I don't really follow your description of the setup you've got, but I know about the 4.0 auto situation.

The 4.0 needs the tone ring that is attached to the 4.0 flex plate, so the computer can figue the timing advance/retard via the CPS. You will also need an auto (TF999) that can accept a CPS, or I also hear that older 909/727's can be modified to accept one.

Determining if you have a HESCO relocated CPS: Look at your crank dampener pulley. If it has grooves/notches in it, and a little, round black thing mounted along the oil pan on the drivers side, then yes, you got lucky. It'll look like this:

An '87 YJ stock had, if I recall, a TF 727 trans with either a NP205/231 t-case. Im sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
1995 YJ: 4.0, 700R4, 231 C/J case, TeraFlex SS SYE/CV shaft, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 136 Amp Alternator, Trans Cooler, Pavement Ends Flip-top/H-T, 2'' BDS Suspension Lift, MORE 5/8' Greasables, Sony GT-210 Xplode Head.

Under the Knife! See the build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/badaddetudes-build-project-hrp-602142/
BadAddetude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
SkullTripper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well I'm pretty sure my flexplate is 4.2 the holes in the front look the same as the one I bought I'll check tmrw and see whats up

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.