flexing all day long! ( not suspension either) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > flexing all day long! ( not suspension either)

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-12-2013, 12:20 AM   #1
stuckparatroope
1990 YJ Wrangler 

flexing all day long! ( not suspension either)

So I have searched every forum I can think of for days and still yet to find a solution. Bought jeep with bad flex plate(999)...replaced it, broke another within 30 miles. alignment is perfect, even put in new dowel pins, no crank walk, input shaft play. Dropped trans and found that it broke identical to the first one. Scratched my head for a day or two, and bought a new torque converter, went to install new tc and found that it would wobble left, right, up, down about 1/4" either direction when fully seated. It did hit the inspection plate but not until maybe the last 10 miles before it broke again. Having the tranny rebuild done now, but I'm not sure if that was even the cause. 100,000 miles on the motor and its tight, runs smooth. I have seen lots of threads with people with same issue but it is either never resolved or it's something that I have already ruled out...any help!!?

"If a trail breaks your jeep....this is a formal insult, grounds for retaliation from the jeep gods in the form of a motor swap, bigger lift kit, bigger tires, and a grudge run at it....break out your cameras boys...and, WATCH THIS!!!!" - last words before the demise of my favorite jeep!

Last edited by stuckparatroope; 03-12-2013 at 12:43 AM..
stuckparatroope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2013, 03:24 AM   #2
stuckparatroope
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Bump
"If a trail breaks your jeep....this is a formal insult, grounds for retaliation from the jeep gods in the form of a motor swap, bigger lift kit, bigger tires, and a grudge run at it....break out your cameras boys...and, WATCH THIS!!!!" - last words before the demise of my favorite jeep!
Unread 03-12-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Are you saying that the TC wobbled when (A) bolted to the flex plate or (B) when you put it on the input shaft?

(A) bent flex plate or crank

(B) bent input shaft/ bad bearings
Unread 03-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
lobukjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Where is the break?Around the perimeter of the mounting holes?
Unread 03-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
stuckparatroope
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The break is right around the center of the flexplate around the bolt pattern. The tc was wobbling on the input shaft, almost like the shaft was too small??? The crank runs true to best of my knowledge, couldn't find anything to suggest it was engine related, I know you really aren't supposed to..., but I started the Heep with the torque converter unbolted to see if the flexplate ran true, and it was, so I'm thinking it was maybe a compounding problem with the tc. And the trans input/ stator support shaft play, got a great deal on the rebuild and I wanted a shift kit in it anyways, so I'm about to just put it back together once the trans is done and see what happens to it.
Unread 03-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckparatroope View Post
The break is right around the center of the flexplate around the bolt pattern. The tc was wobbling on the input shaft, almost like the shaft was too small??? The crank runs true to best of my knowledge, couldn't find anything to suggest it was engine related, I know you really aren't supposed to..., but I started the Heep with the torque converter unbolted to see if the flexplate ran true, and it was, so I'm thinking it was maybe a compounding problem with the tc. And the trans input/ stator support shaft play, got a great deal on the rebuild and I wanted a shift kit in it anyways, so I'm about to just put it back together once the trans is done and see what happens to it.
Sounds like you got it figured out.
Unread 03-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #7
stuckparatroope
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I really hope this is the end of it...tranny has been dropped twice and I'm getting some strange looks from my neighbors... especially when my wife crawls out from under my jeep with me....in carhartts(..mine)....covered in grease, and we are both cussing and scratching our heads lol. I have been using my powers of deductions to figure this one out! Is there ANYTHING else ANYONE knows about that causes this?! Thanks for the help guys
Unread 03-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #8
stuckparatroope
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I just saw that some people had a spacer ring behind the flex;pate.... any suggestions if this is necessary?...I don't have one..
Unread 03-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
lobukjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You better make sure its supposed to have one..if you move that flex plate in or out in correlation to the starter it can effect the engagement of starter..which could chew up your ring gear...
Unread 03-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #10
stuckparatroope
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I agree, I know that some motors have some tc slop until bolted up, and the crankshaft holds it on the lip...I'm asking because I have heard that some of the 4.2's had them...I have seen a few on the 4.0's but maybe I just have never really noticed....anyone had their 4.2 apart lately?
Unread 03-13-2013, 12:06 AM   #11
stuckparatroope
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Bump
Unread 03-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #12
Yarz
1990 YJ Wrangler 

my 4.2 and 999 combo had that spacer. I took it apart without paying a lot of attention, so I can't confirm if it went in front of or behind the flexplate

not sure on the tc slop you mentioned either

1990 White YJ TBI350, SM465, NP231, SOA, RE 1.5" SOA springs, Ford 8.8, D30, 4.10's, JBConversions SYE, XJ shaft, Bilstein 5150s, jb4x4 steering, MORE SS brakelines, 35x12.50 15 MT's, '95 YJ Brake Booster, '78 Grand Marquis MC, ZJ Prop. Valve
Yarz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #13
stuckparatroope
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure it goes on the outside, problem is.... I can't find a replacement! Anyone know where I can get another? Thanks
Unread 03-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #14
OKwranglerYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If the 4.0 and the 4.2 have the same spacer, I have one you can have.
OKwranglerYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #15
stuckparatroope
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That would be awesome, I'm gonna do some research and see if I can find out if they are interchangeable

Tags
4.2 , flexplate , transmission help , transmission issue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.