Flex help!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Flex help!!!

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Flex help!!!

Ok this should be an interesting thread. I have this yj BUILT for the mud, but I've recently found that flexing your rig is fun and addicting! This rig has zero flexing abilities(no da right). Here's my set up..full size axles 456 gr,Rubi4'' soa, 2''bl, cross over steer, quick release swaybar, less than 1'' shackle ft, less than 1'' boomarang shackle rear, sye, with wfo torque arm. I was thinking of removing the 2''bl and adding tube fenders and cutting the rear(less than compcut). BUT I STILL have the flexing problem though.

My front left tire can come up only 15''-18'' (this is a good guesstimate)before the left rear tire comes off the ground. The right rear is not even close to eating the fender either.

I'm still going to use this rig in the mud, but I'm want flexing capabilities similiar to most of you guys. I would like this rig to be versatile.

I blame all of you for this by the way.

My question is how can I flex more with the gear I already have? Is there a way?

Unread 06-14-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
brockmarzullo
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Check your bump stops. You might be hitting the axle on them and it is limiting how much travel your springs will actually do.

Brock
brockmarzullo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

BROCKMARZULLO..Good thought but I have already removed all of them. Also when flexing my shocks look like they still have a few inches of travel.
Unread 06-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
dadstoy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

what are your shackles torqued to? Retorque to about 45ftlbs or so.
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2011, 10:13 PM   #5
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
what are your shackles torqued to? Retorque to about 45ftlbs or so.
I know for fact they're tighter than that.. I'll change that tomorrow. Thanks
Unread 06-15-2011, 12:17 AM   #6
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

your two biggest issues will be your springs and shocks. the 4" springs are big flex limiters. with that much arch they just dont like to flatten as easily as a 2" set. this is not the biggest issue as we all know that compression is nice but droop is where you really gain advantageous flex. again the high arch will debilitate you as the spring is, by design, at the end of its droop potential at near ride hight. anyone who says their 5" springs are flex monsters need to see what a lot of very capable leaf sprung vehicles can do.
if you are using stock shock mounting then you are wasting the potential a good soa has. in a jeep these, particularly the rear, are the biggest flex hinderances. rework these to allow for the longest shock possible. as you relive your suspension to move you will find more and more little things that hinder flex. the simple orientation of your shock eyes can cause premature binding. they need to be mounted with the eye perpendicular to the axle tubing. this is 90* from stock. every little thing helps. undo the spring clamps and this will let the leaves separate during droop. make sure our e-brake cable isnt hanging you up. a slightly longer then stock shackle also helps. i like them no more then an 1" longer. make sure your shackle move freely by hand. do not loosen them to 45ft/lbs. this is wrong. if they do not move freely at factory spec then they are designed wrong. rework them until they are right.
....and you are going to have to cut some of that sheet metal. 40s just wont fit into the wheel wells period. if you have space between your tire and body at full compression then that is waisted space.
Unread 06-15-2011, 10:27 PM   #7
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
your two biggest issues will be your springs and shocks. the 4" springs are big flex limiters. with that much arch they just dont like to flatten as easily as a 2" set. this is not the biggest issue as we all know that compression is nice but droop is where you really gain advantageous flex. again the high arch will debilitate you as the spring is, by design, at the end of its droop potential at near ride hight. anyone who says their 5" springs are flex monsters need to see what a lot of very capable leaf sprung vehicles can do.
if you are using stock shock mounting then you are wasting the potential a good soa has. in a jeep these, particularly the rear, are the biggest flex hinderances. rework these to allow for the longest shock possible. as you relive your suspension to move you will find more and more little things that hinder flex. the simple orientation of your shock eyes can cause premature binding. they need to be mounted with the eye perpendicular to the axle tubing. this is 90* from stock. every little thing helps. undo the spring clamps and this will let the leaves separate during droop. make sure our e-brake cable isnt hanging you up. a slightly longer then stock shackle also helps. i like them no more then an 1" longer. make sure your shackle move freely by hand. do not loosen them to 45ft/lbs. this is wrong. if they do not move freely at factory spec then they are designed wrong. rework them until they are right.
....and you are going to have to cut some of that sheet metal. 40s just wont fit into the wheel wells period. if you have space between your tire and body at full compression then that is waisted space.
Thanks for the help FRATIS..I called the guys at WFO today and they said the same thing. That the 4''rubi was the issue. So I'm bout to order a BDS 2'' leaf set and a set of boomarang shackles for the front. So I should be flexing nicely afterwards.
Unread 08-11-2011, 06:47 PM   #8
YJ-95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Try to do some flix without shock first
YJ-95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 07:09 PM   #9
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ-95 View Post
Try to do some flix without shock first
thats not the issue,Its that RE 4''lift springs have so much arch that they are too stiff to flex like the softer2''lift springs.
Unread 08-11-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
zman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you have trac bars installed they will limit flex. I'm guessing you already have those removed though. As mentioned, I bet your leafs are to stiff based on what you have said so far. Guys that have the good flex are usually SOA and 0-2" leafs. If you leafs are new get out wheeling more and flex them. One they are broke in it will ride better and give more flex.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.