Flat Olive Drab Paint - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Flat Olive Drab Paint

ECGS American Made Stub ShaftsDisc Brake Kits from ECGSSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 03-24-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
Deserteagle2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Flat Olive Drab Paint

Does anyone know what brand makes the toughest olive drab paint, that won't get destroyed by sunlight fast? Thanks

Deserteagle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
lurkeryj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

if your just going to rattle can it, id probably say krylon camo
lurkeryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
Matt_vs_YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

This stuff looks pretty tough. You should try it and let me know how it works before I spend the bucks.
Matt_vs_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2008, 05:03 PM   #4
4x4dap
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i just used the rustoleum dark forest camo paint, i put on 3 layers of matte clear afterward too. that should help protect it.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Dapper31...76220738175746
4 Angry squirrels keep ticking. 2.5in skyjacker, stock 4:10's 29's bfg mt and a whole lot of mud.
4x4dap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2008, 05:20 PM   #5
instg8tor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Aervoe paint is holding up to abuse on my jeep. I live on the rainy west coast and haven't had a problem with the paint. I used about 10 spray cans.

this pic is after quite a few trips

The paint isn't flat but a semi-gloss for better water repulsion.

http://www.aervoe.com/productcart/pc...=3&idproduct=4
Unread 03-24-2008, 05:22 PM   #6
DeclarationDay
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I painted mine with Krylon Fusion olive drab. So far so good, but it's only been three months.
Unread 03-24-2008, 05:40 PM   #7
RKBA
2002 TJ Wrangler 

military drab was actually semi-gloss, or more correctly "lusterless." That finish really holds up better to fading and abuse than an ultraflat rattle can.

For a really nice military look at a low cost try this home brew:

1 quart Hunter Green Gloss Rustoleum
1 quart Rusty Metal Red Primer Rustoleum
10% Acetone as thinner
Mix well

You can shoot that through a cheapie Harbor Freight spray gun and it self levels very nicely with just a touch of orange peel. The color/finish works out to be a dark leathery-olive green semi-gloss and is easily obtained at any hardware store. You can readily reproduce touch up by using pint cans in the same proportions.
RKBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2008, 06:48 PM   #8
Deserteagle2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

What about semi gloss or satin finish Olive Drab? I saw satin at Miejers today
Unread 03-24-2008, 07:13 PM   #9
DeclarationDay
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBA View Post
military drab was actually semi-gloss, or more correctly "lusterless." That finish really holds up better to fading and abuse than an ultraflat rattle can.

For a really nice military look at a low cost try this home brew:

1 quart Hunter Green Gloss Rustoleum
1 quart Rusty Metal Red Primer Rustoleum
10% Acetone as thinner
Mix well

You can shoot that through a cheapie Harbor Freight spray gun and it self levels very nicely with just a touch of orange peel. The color/finish works out to be a dark leathery-olive green semi-gloss and is easily obtained at any hardware store. You can readily reproduce touch up by using pint cans in the same proportions.
I have a paint gun and compressor, but for $40, no paint mixing and no equipment set-up, the Krylon Fusion can't be beat. If it only holds up six months, oh well; there goes another $40, one roll of tape, one newspaper, one afternoon and one six pack of beer.

Not knocking your method at all, it's just a matter of how much $$ and effort you want to put in. I'm sure the results of your method are superior.

As for me, my Jeep's not a show car, so the easier, the better. Thanks for the info in case I change my mind.
Unread 03-24-2008, 07:56 PM   #10
RKBA
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclarationDay View Post
I have a paint gun and compressor, but for $40, no paint mixing and no equipment set-up, the Krylon Fusion can't be beat. If it only holds up six months, oh well; there goes another $40, one roll of tape, one newspaper, one afternoon and one six pack of beer.

Not knocking your method at all, it's just a matter of how much $$ and effort you want to put in. I'm sure the results of your method are superior.

As for me, my Jeep's not a show car, so the easier, the better. Thanks for the info in case I change my mind.
I hear ya, sometimes the spray bomb is just plain fun.

Seriously, it costs about the same as a case of rattle bombs as it would to shoot the Rustoleum. Cleaning your gun is the only drawback but the quality and finish are far superior.
RKBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2008, 08:21 PM   #11
Deserteagle2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well I think I'm probably going to go with a semi gloss finish of olive drab other than flat, becuase everything sticks on flat paint. Also I heard it holds road salt and I live in Michigan so that wouldn't be to good.
RKBA do you have any pics of your "custom paint"?
Unread 03-24-2008, 08:28 PM   #12
Turner
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Not knockin ya but an even cheaper way is hit up the army surplus stores. you can usually get a gallon for 17-19 bucks...
1970 Ford Bronco302, dana 30, 9", 3 on the tree, show stopper.
Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2008, 08:36 PM   #13
Deserteagle2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner View Post
Not knockin ya but an even cheaper way is hit up the army surplus stores. you can usually get a gallon for 17-19 bucks...
Ya I heard that from some friends but how does it hold up, they said that it isn't the actual paint the army uses.
Unread 03-24-2008, 09:27 PM   #14
magsnubby
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a couple paint sources:

http://www.armyjeepparts.com/order_p...1.htm#shipping

http://www.willysjeepparts.com/Military_Paint.htm
'94 YJ. Mostly stock. 4.0, 5 speed, Flowmaster Super 44, RE 4" lift, 5" RE greasable shackels, 2" BL, 1" MML, SYE & CV driveline, 35.12.50X15 BFG MT's, TJ seats, Tuffy console and glove box, Viper alarm, Best Top bikini top. Super 30 kit, front ARB locker, 4:56's, Smittybuilt XRC8 winch, Smittybuilt SRC bumper, Trail Gear rear bumper/tire carrier. KC Daylighters & KC fog lights. 8.8 with 4:56's
magsnubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2008, 09:54 PM   #15
Turner
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i know some cats that have bought it about 4 years ago and it still looks great. he got some scratches in it but just touched it up so it still looks great. next time i see him i'll snap some pics. and i may be wrong but i thought that it actually is the paint. its overstock and they send it off if they dont use it within so long... Thats what my marine roomate told me... but not 110% sure
1970 Ford Bronco302, dana 30, 9", 3 on the tree, show stopper.
Turner is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.