Flat leaf springs /87- YJ HELP ! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Flat leaf springs /87- YJ HELP !

Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andAdvance Adapters SYE KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-17-2013, 11:49 PM   #1
weeper

Flat leaf springs /87- YJ HELP !

Here's what I've Got ..
1987 YJ,, 6cyl ,,-5 speed BX-15 (swap) Hard Top w/full doors,,Winch,,running 31's x 10.5 w/1" spacers,, ,Garvin Roof-Rack to be added!

All this on Stock ,! flat as pan cake leaf springs! Will only be running sand,light woods ,,hard top/ rack will stay on forever ,, 31's is big enough for me !
Now my Question !
I have a full set of (Suspension Systems) Superlift 01-540R-6 & 01-540F-6
3.5 Lift I think? are they going to be to much for me ? I want to avoid doing brake lines & anything elsa!
Or should I take 1-or-2 leafs from the super pack and add or replace to my old pack ? Yes I know I'm a real DA when it comes to springs ! but I'm old !

Thanking You for any & all help!
Weepers.

weeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 12:04 AM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Honestly, messing around with leaf spring packs can not only change the ride height as planned but also the ride quality and spring integrity which can result in inversion. Your best bet is to evaluate how these springs feel vs what they look like. The springs were pancake flat from the flapjack factory back when your jeep was new so that's not news to anyone. Clearing 31's? That'll take one of 12,650 combinations of lifting the jeep via springs, shackles, body lift (strongly recommended 1" only) and by cutting. I think my math is about correct on it. And pics of the rims? You may have an opportunity to ditch the spacers and move forward on this project.
Unread 02-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
weeper

Thanks for your reply, Not to concerned about looks, more concerned about all the added weight on flat leaf springs and I have No $$'s in the super lift springs! Just like to use what I've got !

Thanks again.
Weeper
weeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

There are a lot of ways to go about it. Using the stock springs and adding leaves from a s-10 spring is a popular form of bastard pack. If you've got the time to expirament, I say go for it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.