Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Fitment issue with new gas tank and gas tank skid

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  drum03 
#1 ·
I just purchased these replacement parts for my 95 YJ:

• Warrior Products factory replacement gas tank skid
  • MTS replacement 20 gallon polyethylene gas tank

When I place the gas tank into the skid the tank does not fully seat on the bottom of the skid. I noticed that the new tank's edges have smaller blends than the factory tank. The squarer edges of the tank are contacting the skid's radiused surfaces causing a 1/2" gap in between the tank and skid.

At this point, I was pondering setting some rubber spacers in between the tank and skid, so the tank is stabalized and resting on a flat surface rather than the bottom corners of the tank.

What do you guys think? Has anyone encountered this issue with the replacement YJ tank?

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

See less See more
#3 ·
Does this skid plate come with the stabilizing straps like the original? Without straps, the tank will move & chafe which will eventually wear holes into the tank. With the straps, you shouldn't need any rubber spacers, alternatively, you could use some foam, but that would permanently fix the tank to the skid plate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.