first yj. weber carb help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > first yj. weber carb help

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 02-03-2013, 05:55 AM   #1
jr4x4
1996 ZJ 

first yj. weber carb help

hey whats up?? new to the yj side of the forum. i just got a 1990 4.2 automatic yj. i just put on a weber 34 carb ( 34 i think). jeep is not nuttered. ive been searching all night. im ready to snap!!! my weber only has like 2-3 vacuum ports on it. 1 small one in back at bottom of carb, 1 big one in front left corner just above fuel & then the one in the adaptor plate. now my vac advance is hooked to the port coming out of intake base for carb teed with brake booster. the big one in front is hooked to canister
.& i was told the little one in the back of carb goes to 4wd vac . but there is 3 vac ports on axle vac. eather way it starts right up and idles great. but if i give any throttle its fluttering,sputtering, like its clogged and need to be blown out. so i tried flooring it to see if she cleared out but nope. sorry so confusing.. i tried changing timing but that did nothing. the auto choke was taken off & used for manual choke. but plates are open & not clogging engine. there is no cat. si that is not restricted. i heard with this carb i should now rip out canister cto thing wit 5 nopples. & all that is this true.. thank you in advance.

jr4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

The little one on the back supplies the vac for the 4 wheel but it should only plug into one port somewhere on the firewall look for a red (original) tube. Best I got.
cad-vaccum1.jpg   cad-vacuum2.jpg   cad-vacuummotorlines.jpg  

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

whether you think you have or not you've effectively "nuttered" your vehicle. The stock carter carb was computer controlled. Once you removed that the computer really isn't doing anything for your vehicle and your ignition will be off, plus all the emissions stuff will not work correctly. to understand what the carter was doing go here http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm
You can now decide if you really want to keep the weber and remove everything and properly set up your ignition, or go back to stock. You also will need to set up your vacuum advance and vacuum lines to make sure there are no leaks and you have the ports either used or properly capped. the port above the fuel is ported vacuum, the others sound like manifold vacuum. I'd recommend using manifold vacuum for your distributor, which is what is sounds like you are using
Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
jr4x4
1996 ZJ 

ok than you.. i got it running smooth. starts right up. but i have like no power when taking off and going through the gears. very slowwww. iv been playing around with idle mix & what not & its reving pretty smooth now. just has no umfff.. im thinking maybe adjusting kickdown cable. i now its only a 4.2 but man it has very slow pickup. ive got vacuum advance to the port right under choke teed with 4wd &-the gas bowl vent to canister- & man-vac to pcv. now i now the canister is out of the picture. so do i cap the bowl vent?? something has to give me back some power... again thank you. sorry for the confusion. im searching my ars off & coming up empty.
jr4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.