First time pulling transmission - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > First time pulling transmission

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-28-2014, 09:42 AM   #1
Rehtnug
1990 YJ Wrangler 

First time pulling transmission

I am about to pull the transmission to inspect and repair the clutch. I have the AX5

My question for those that have done this. Do I need to remove the transfer case shifter and mounting bracket in order to gain enough clearance to slide the transmission back to clear the input shaft of the engine?

Any help or advice would be great.

Its ready to come out. Only thing left is unbolting it from the block. Just want to check on this. My feeling is that it the bracket and shifter need to be removed from the tranmission and linkage disconnected from the transfer case.

Thanks for the Help!!!

Rehtnug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2014, 10:22 AM   #2
Deepsouth
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I always remove both shifters and remove the T- case from transmission as well. They can be left together but it's a long heavy assembly.Only 6 studs hold them together. I always bench press the T- case back in because it is an odd shape to jack up.
Deepsouth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2014, 10:29 AM   #3
Rehtnug
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks.
Unread 09-28-2014, 05:39 PM   #4
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Last time I did it, I left it all together and got my neighbor to help shove it all back in. He's a big boy. I didn't jack up the jeep at all, there's *just* enough room to wiggle the trans and t-case out from under it with the t-case shifter still on. I'll probably take the t-cas off the trans next time I have to do it simply because I'm getting older and weaker
Unread Yesterday, 12:05 PM   #5
jeep63

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I've done this on 3 jeeps in the past 2 years, and I always separate the tcase from the transmission, and remove the tcase linkage/shifter assembly. It is much easier this way.
jeep63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 06:22 PM   #6
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You can probably get by just pulling the shift boot ring in the cab, but I always pull the whole big trans hump cover plate. I've used that big hole to have a buddy use a strap from inside to help hoist it back, found it easier than using a jack under the trans. It's also makes it easier to get at the two top bolts of the t-case.
Unread Yesterday, 09:53 PM   #7
jagular7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

To put it back in, you have to align the snub of the input shaft into the pilot bearing and the splines of the input shaft with those of the clutch disc. Can be difficult to do while trying to level the trans and slide forward all at same time.

Take some 2-3" longer bolts that match the same threads as those on the side of the block (about 180* apart). Grind the head off and grind a slice across the shaft's face. These will help give you leverage to align the teeth and then the pilot as well as help slide the trans into position.
Before you put the trans back in, take the shifter and put into a gear. You can rotate the input shaft with the output shaft to get the teeth to align.
Anticipate fluid leakage with the tcase off the back. You can drain the trans before you pull it, but it won't all come out. To refill, pull the loosen the fill plug before reinstall. Once installed, tcase on back, before shifter is installed, pull the fill plug, pour fluid through shifter till it leaks out of the fill hole. Cleanup any spills, replace fill plug, shifter, tcase, rear ds. Check for tcase leaks once again. Put rear axle on jack stands. Start engine, go through gears (rear axle in air), check for leaks. If nothing, button things up - front ds, interior, and go for another street test under load.

It sounds bad, but not in reality. Make sure you use antiseize on those frame skid plate bolts. Have fun.

Jagular
Lnxa, KS
97 TJ SE lifted, locked and rubbered for fun
94 YJ SE stock, 225s, Trail Tested
jagular7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 01:10 AM   #8
Gausswave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

IIRC it's only 3 bolts ( 2 mounting and I pulled the shift lever of the T-case.) and will make it easier to remove.
Gausswave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 01:14 AM   #9
Gausswave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1991YJ View Post
Last time I did it, I left it all together and got my neighbor to help shove it all back in. He's a big boy. I didn't jack up the jeep at all, there's *just* enough room to wiggle the trans and t-case out from under it with the t-case shifter still on.
Sounds like a tight fit. I'm SOA on 33's and barely had enough room to clear the bell housing on the jack.
Gausswave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 04:29 PM   #10
Rehtnug
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the info guys. I have already removed the transmission shifter arm but had questions about the t case shifter. I now have it removed as well. Big opening in the top as well. It is all ready. Bell housing bolts are loose with the top two removed. Only four holding it on right now.

So my question is this. When seperating the t case from the tranny, is there going to be fluid that will leak out?

I am in the process of getting a transmission jack to help make this process easier and safer.

I like the idea of the cut off bolt to help with allignment when reinstalling. Great call!! Good advice.

I would also like to leave the tranny and t case together to avoid the steps of having to remate them. It is possible to remove all together right? (Thats what the Chilton says to do) LOL I understand it will be easier seperated. I just don't want to do that if I don't have to.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.