First time off road yesterday.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > First time off road yesterday..

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 09-07-2003, 08:09 AM   #1
D4FS4

First time off road yesterday..

After a long time browsing here all day yesterday.. reading jeep stuff and looking at your awesome off-road pics (even the stocker ones) it was itching me to go try my jeep off-road too.. So I figured that Saturday evening was a great time since I had nothing better to do (except maybe things like laundry but that's what I call nothing better)

So I called one of my friend to come with me and we went to my hometown. It might not be the best place to go off-road but at least I do know the trails there very well and since it was getting late (we arrived at 8 PM) I didn't want to get lost somewhere in the woods..

So, when we finally entered the woods it was already pretty dark.. But since the weather had been pretty dry for weeks and the trails were quad trails I wasn't worrying at all.. It was going to be a smooth ride as I was intending to take it slowly and smoothly.. Oh yeah I'm driving a 92 YJ stock.. it's my daily drive and breaking it would put me in trouble so I'd prefer to keep it in one piece yet..

So like intended we followed the trails (quad trails so we had one wheel in the trail the other in the branches).. Bumped around had fun and we were enjoying the trip laughing at the way it was bouncing..

Then we met two persons walking in the woods at 9 PM holding full face helmets and covered in mud.. A man and a woman in their mid twenties that had their quad stuck in the mud and had just broke their winch trying to get out of there.. looking for help, there I was at the right place at the right moment...
Now I discovered a minute after that that both are fellow jeepers! They both have jacked YJs (the girl had a CJ-7 but sold it for a YJ) and have been into jeepin' for a while..
Now I just made two friends..

To reach the quad we had to cross a swamp.. ok not exactly a swamp but a pretty muddy place (it did swallow a quad afterall)
A lot of you would have crossed it without noticing it but I do have a stock YJ with worn-out tires so I stucked there.. (in fact I didn't I let the guy (JF) drive since he had a lot more experience than me at off-roading.. it took us at least an hour to manage to get my Jeep out of the mud (with the standard jack and wooden planks).. we finally made it.. made it to the quad.. A good thing is that the girl (the quad is hers) had all the hooks and ropes in it so it was already an easier task to pull it out.. We tied the quad to the Jeep and it did pulled it out easily.. Well not that easily since I was scared like hell that the rope would cut and the metal hook would be tossed in my windshield at 400 miles an hour...

Anyway we manage to pull it out.. now I just had to cross the place where I got stuck in the first place back.. I did got stuck again but that time we had to quad to pull us so I managed to get out easily.. But my muffler did receive a hit so tip of it is now shaped like a D with a 90 degrees rotation.. not like I cared anyway..
So they thanked me and gave me a place to contact them over the internet.. the man wanted to reward me for helping them so he promised me to go trailing with me on medium trails so I can get stuck for real and he will pull me out of it.. for what I remember his YJ is lifted and riding 35s so I guess he can pull me out easily...

To conclude this.. it was a great experience.. I made two friends and I can't wait to go really try it... The dumb part is that I was so excited about all of this that I totally forgot that I had a camera with me and I took no pictures of it...
Now I've got to find the time to wash the mud on and in my Jeep but that's not a priority right now

Last edited by D4FS4; 09-07-2003 at 08:24 AM..
D4FS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2003, 10:33 AM   #2
Moxley

Great story and you may wish to hurry up and replace those worn-out tires . As you now realize it's the tires that make all the difference in the world. You probably got stuck without bottoming out so the lack of a lift kit didn't come into play

Later,
Doug
[color=darkred][b]My Jeep:[/b][/color]
[url]http://members.myactv.net/~douglas.moxley/jeep.jpg[/url]

"A high IQ is like a Jeep; you will still get stuck, just farther from help"
Moxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2003, 10:49 AM   #3
D4FS4

Yup I know..
But winter is coming and I've got a new set of winter tires ready.. The joy of living into a northern country..
Not like I could afford a new set of tires anyway..
Unread 09-08-2003, 10:54 AM   #4
GoTopless

dont forget to SPRAY OFF YOUR ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to take mine to the shop cause i didnt and it cost me over $500

[B][SIZE=4][URL=http://groups.myspace.com/jeepforumcom][COLOR=white]Jeepforum on MYSPACE[/COLOR] [/URL] [/SIZE] [/B]
GoTopless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2003, 10:59 AM   #5
D4FS4

Yep that's noted don't worry..
Unread 09-08-2003, 11:01 AM   #6
Devious
Hobo

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTopless
dont forget to SPRAY OFF YOUR ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to take mine to the shop cause i didnt and it cost me over $500

$500!! wow. What was wrong with it?
Unread 09-09-2003, 12:02 AM   #7
fdeuce2x

Forgot camera.........DOH! Make sure you get to be the one behind the wheel next time it gets stuck.

Good story!

[COLOR=darkred]'95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed
[B]Black Jeep Club Member #40
Village Idiot #4[/B]
SOA, 33" BFG Mud Terrains
Custom Rock Sliders
Warn 8000# Winch[/COLOR]
[URL=http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=2622]Pics of my YJ (Black Dragon)[/URL]
fdeuce2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2003, 05:54 AM   #8
GoTopless

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykracker
$500!! wow. What was wrong with it?
Well i forget everything they did to it but i took it cause i had an antifreeze leak and i know they had to power wash the engine for like 2 hours cause i had mud caked on it They said they worked on it for 8 hours....my recipt is at my house so im not sure what all they did to it............

[B][SIZE=4][URL=http://groups.myspace.com/jeepforumcom][COLOR=white]Jeepforum on MYSPACE[/COLOR] [/URL] [/SIZE] [/B]
GoTopless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2003, 06:31 AM   #9
Bob K

Hey DF. Next time when you have the camera get me a picture of the twenty something year old girl who rides a quad and drives a CJ-7. Get me a bunch of pictures!
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2003, 06:40 AM   #10
D4FS4

Sure Bob K.. if I meet her again I sure will..
She did look very very cute.. she was kinda cuter covered in mud to the belly.. That was at first.. Because she eventually put a lot of mud in her face to prevent mosquito bites and she looked like she was having some facial camo..
Unread 09-09-2003, 05:39 PM   #11
bigred41

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4FS4
Sure Bob K.. if I meet her again I sure will..
She did look very very cute.. she was kinda cuter covered in mud to the belly.. That was at first.. Because she eventually put a lot of mud in her face to prevent mosquito bites and she looked like she was having some facial camo..
Sounds like my kind of girl, send those pix my way too!!!!
bigred41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2003, 11:03 PM   #12
mac1995

I've never been part of a forum before so I don't know how this will turn out. That was a great story. I've gone off roading a time or two but it was open fields so far. All the advice you were given will definately add to my first trail/ muddy terrain experience.
mac1995 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.