First time Jeep YJ Owner (TIRES?? STARTER??) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > First time Jeep YJ Owner (TIRES?? STARTER??)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTruc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 06-05-2002, 07:31 PM   #1
dentonre

First time Jeep YJ Owner (TIRES?? STARTER??)

I just bought a 1994 Wrangler. I really do not know much about them, but I do know I want to put bigger tires on it. How big can I go without installing a suspension lift?

ALSO...

I had a friend set up his Ram to where the engine would not start unless the High Beams bar was pulled toward you. I'm guessing it's some sort of bypass, but I really don't know much about that either. Let me know if you have any idea how I would go about doing that to my Jeep.

Please reply if you can help. Thanks!

dentonre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2002, 08:29 PM   #2
St.LJustin

The question about the tires is always asked by new members so some of our less gracious members can become a little agitated with that so I'll answer your question before a cranky member(s) goes off on you. Before my lift, I had 30 inch tires and that is the largest tire size without a lift. It's probably only an inch larger than the factory tires and it might rub a little when turning all the way. As for the starting thing. I'm not quite sure how that can be done. Sounds like a good idea but I could see someone that you wanted to maybe move your car or pick it up for you not being able to start it. Just a suggestion, use the search provided by Jeep Forum for questions like the tire question. It can turn up all kinds of good info from past threads. Welcome and happy Jeepin.

Member #5 of the Black Jeep Club
St.LJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2002, 09:57 PM   #3
BzJeep
2001 WJ 

Well, you could buy a 1-2" Body lift (they run under 100 bucks) They can be annoying to install the first time from what I've read. They will give you more flex under the body and you don't need to buy new springs. I imagin you could get a 31 or maybe even a 32 at the very biggest with a body lift. Also the wider you go the more steering bumps you'll have.

[b]Green Jeep Club Member #16[/b]
[url]http://www.cardomain.com/id/bzjeep[/url]
BzJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2002, 10:14 PM   #4
MusicMaverick
2010 JK Wrangler 

I was able to put 31" tires on my stock 92'. I have no rubbing at all in turns. This is because I have after market offset rims with less backspacing. (Lemme know if you dont know what that means, I didnt at first either)stock backspacing is 4.5" I have 3.75". The only rubbing I have is on the rear fender flares, and its only under heavy flex or a bad bump, not too bad and livable. I defiently recommend getting offset rims, because thats what really makes the tires look bigger. I saw someone with 31" on stock rims and it didnt look any bigger. You want them to stick out mroe to give it a wider look.

Past vehicles:
1992 YJ
1997 TJ
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2002, 08:31 AM   #5
FastX

I drove my YJ for six years stock. The biggest tires on stock rims is 30".
FastX is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.