First Time Installing a Lift Kit... Tips and Suggestions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > First Time Installing a Lift Kit... Tips and Suggestions

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-10-2014, 09:41 PM   #1
scott45217
1990 YJ Wrangler 

First Time Installing a Lift Kit... Tips and Suggestions

Im putting a Skyjacker 2.5" lift kit on my YJ, any tips or suggestions to make the job easier. It's my first time doing suspension work, besides installing my own shocks.

scott45217 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2014, 10:18 PM   #2
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Inventory all parts being installed and make sure they match what is supposed to be in the kit. Take pictures and measurements before and after. Spray down all fasteners you will be removing with PB blaster several times a day for several days before you begin the job. Do one side of one axle at a time. Lay out all the pieces to install alongside each corner in the proper orientation and with the proper fasteners/washers, etc. Take notes, follow the instructions, as questions. Take more photos, take more notes. Don't break out the beer until you are done with your job. Consider putting antisieze/grease on all fasteners. Final torque all fasteners to specification once the Jeep is on its own weight, sitting on the tires. Don't take risks, work in a flat area, don't substitute bricks for jackstands.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2014, 08:06 AM   #3
pushead

Big hammer and a good sawzall. Cut every thing off you can vs trying too unbolt it unless you need the bolt.
Unread 06-11-2014, 10:49 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Cut and torch. The spring bolts inbed themselves into the bushing. Cut x2.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2014, 12:30 PM   #5
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Get one end up in the air with jack stands under the frame. I doubled up the jack stands just to be safe. At that point you only need one good floor jack to lift an axle end off the spring.

If you've got a good kit, it goes in pretty easy.

I recommend ALL new fasteners, which you will want to source before you begin. You won't find it on a weekend around town.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2014, 12:32 PM   #6
SeniorVerde
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Soak & spray any bolts you need to turn with WD-40 or PB blaster now. Even if you don't plan on lifting the jeep for a week.
SeniorVerde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2014, 01:29 PM   #7
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
Get one end up in the air with jack stands under the frame. I doubled up the jack stands just to be safe. At that point you only need one good floor jack to lift an axle end off the spring.

I recommend ALL new fasteners, which you will want to source before you begin. You won't find it on a weekend around town.

Now I see why you sport that towbar in your avvy......Hides the hideous blue oval.

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2014, 02:56 PM   #8
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post

Death by YJ !! That looks scary !!
Unread 06-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #9
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile_Homie View Post
Now I see why you sport that towbar in your avvy......Hides the hideous blue oval.
Sharp eye. Most people don't even notice it.
Unread 06-12-2014, 07:40 AM   #10
Jake16JA
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just finished mine up last week, I bought a replacement spring eye bolt package which saved a bunch of time since you can cut all the old stuff out. I guessing that Massachusetts has the same rust problem as Michigan making it not worth the time to try to break anything loose. When I did mine I didn't realize how important removing the track bar was for lining up the leaf center eye bolts which led to a lot of frustration.
Jake16JA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2014, 11:14 AM   #11
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiebob View Post
Death by YJ !! That looks scary !!
It wasn't really. Rock solid support. But I guess it does look scary in the pics.

Tags
kit , lift , skyjacker , tips , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.