First Jeep (YJ) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > First Jeep (YJ)

Ruffstuff 10 year saleBDS 4-1/2" Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep Wrangler YJRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-27-2015, 07:29 PM   #1
eneyekay
1994 YJ Wrangler 

First Jeep (YJ)

Whats up, this is kinda like my introduction post/ with a couple questions

I got my first wrangler a month or two ago and am in the process of rebuilding it. Ive been building drift cars (240sx's) since I got my license but recently have wanted to build something that wasn't a 240 and completely different than anything im used to. So basically its a 94 YJ with the inline 6 and a 5spd. the previous owner got it in 2012 with intents to fix it up and kinda lost interest or whatever so its been sitting. since I got it ive cut out and repaired all rust, rhino linered the floors, done all my basic new car maintenance, installed some new fender flares, & Painted gave the whole thing a fresh paint job with a sick cement gray (Same color of the trd FJ cruiser).

My whole plan with this thing is to build something that is pretty much bullet proof in the woods, but wont lose any drivability on the street. the car already has an unknown brand 2.5" lift and I installed some RC shocks ( old ones were totally blown out) my long term goal is id like to go up to a 4" lift on some 33s and swap in a ford 8.8 with a locker but as for right now im good with my height.
but first on my list I need to address the brakes and steering. my brake booster is broken and the price difference between the ABS & non ABS booster is crazy so I will be deleting ABS this weekend (witch is just one less thing to go wrong IMO) but my tie rods are shot so while im under it I wanted to address them.

so ive been doing a lot of research and haven't been able to find the answer im looking for im looking for a beefier tie rod that can withstand more abuse than the OEM one. (Im really big on overkill when I build a car) everything ive found online has the drag link attaching to the tie rod. (Rustys & extereme terrain? ) ive read that causes death wobble at high speeds. so I want to keep everything in the stock locations. any input would be great.

eneyekay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2015, 09:33 AM   #2
rustisexpected
1990 YJ Wrangler 

First off Please fill out your profile. And welcome to the forum.

There is no such thing as bulletproof, the eventuality of finding an obstacle that will break even the most well built rig is too high. The more offroad capable you build a rig the less road friendly its going to become. That being said, the plan you have laid out sounds like a good dual purpose set up. But is not going to do onroad or offroad to any level of greatness. Please do not mistake this as negative information, it is just information.

I would personally look for a "D2" code 8.8 this will give you 4:10 gears and an lsd. The lsd can be rebuilt with a heavy pack for around $60. If you get this particular 8.8 it can be mated with a 4cly manual trans yj dana 30 and the gears will match. The gear swap and lsd will save you money over doing the gears and locker down the road. Check out the link. http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...le_codes.shtml

As far as the steering is concerned... There are a number of companys making heavy duty steering kits. The only way to get beefier is to increase tubing size and wall thickness. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/w...pgrade-521301/
Unread 10-28-2015, 09:49 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Please fill out the profile x2. Its difficult to assist peeps without knowing what you are dealing with.

Death wobble has nothing to do with the drag links design. It happens when the vehicle is lifted and the suspension angles are changed. The linkage needs to be parallel and when lifting the angles need to be modified to return them to the correct angles using a few different methods.

The 8.8 is a great recommendation. The D35 is a high fail. The LSD will give you better traction, disks will give you more stopping power, and thicker axles way more durability.

Before changing the booster you should look at the dual diaphragm booster from the 95 along with the master cylinder. Its a much better design.

To get more info on these and out of the forum use google this way to search here. It is a much better method and will give you much more power to get the info you need:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...oogle-1003734/
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.