First jeep, just did soa - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > First jeep, just did soa

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #16
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
You had time to look at the pictures? I was more afraid of the zombie unibomber protecting his "preciouses" stuffed away in the chest freezer just out of sight.
No worries Nick. Doubt he had time to read up on the subject to properly "execute" the process.

jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #17
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Touché, John.
Unread 04-21-2013, 06:29 AM   #18
loumandeville

Hey guys thank you for all you... Interesting comments. Self diagnosed to slave cylinder pissing out the second I drive it after vacation, replaced it and now have 0 vibration, don't know how it makes sense but whatever. And it's really just my woods vehicle, slip yoke is on it's way, pitch is correct, was told by plenty of people that sway bar is unneeded, building longer rear t-bar today.
loumandeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #19
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loumandeville View Post
Hey guys thank you for all you... Interesting comments. Self diagnosed to slave cylinder pissing out the second I drive it after vacation, replaced it and now have 0 vibration, don't know how it makes sense but whatever. And it's really just my woods vehicle, slip yoke is on it's way, pitch is correct, was told by plenty of people that sway bar is unneeded, building longer rear t-bar today.
Ah...the old slave cylinder drive line vibration problem. Gets all of us. (Kidding. That's crazy that it seems to have fixed your problems)

It's cool that you're doing a traction bar and SYE. That will help.

Can't see where anybody has recommended a sway bar.

Curious to see pics of your SOA rig when you get back to it.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #20
loumandeville

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt

Ah...the old slave cylinder drive line vibration problem. Gets all of us. (Kidding. That's crazy that it seems to have fixed your problems)

It's cool that you're doing a traction bar and SYE. That will help.

Can't see where anybody has recommended a sway bar.

Curious to see pics of your SOA rig when you get back to it.
Yea I'm still not understanding how it fixed the vibration, unless something wasn't tight before. I'm new on the forum so I don't really know how to use it. I'm lookin for some tires as we speak, any recommendations.

image-2694134473.jpg   image-2859679470.jpg  
loumandeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #21
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm new on the forum so I don't really know how to use it.
Read more. Wrench less.
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #22
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

There is a saying in the military;

Good initiative, poor judgement.

Great on ya for jumpin in and doing some upgrades. Bad on ya for not properly researching.

This brings another little saying to mind, one my Dad taught me many years ago:

A Smart man learns from his mistake; a Wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

This exact phrase is why we all post on an internet forum, for others to laugh and learn from our mistakes. Every time I do something dumb (In regards to my Jeep) I post it. This way others can search and not make the same mistakes. If you search and ask questions, there is very little you can do without getting at least a little guidance from others who have gone before you.
Unread 04-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #23
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Track bar =/= Traction bar.

You don't need a longer track bar, you need a traction bar. Two different things. Traction bar is a term more commonly used in hot rods and drag cars. We off-roaders more often call it an anti-wrap bar. It is a bar connected at 3 points (2 at the axle, and one connected to a shackle, connected near/to transfer skid). This allows the bar to move with axle flex, but does not allow the axle to rotate.

You also need to do a LOT more to your rig to make it even remotely safe. Steering, rear drive line, brake lines, shocks, etc.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #24
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post

Track bar =/= Traction bar.

You don't need a longer track bar, you need a traction bar. Two different things. Traction bar is a term more commonly used in hot rods and drag cars. We off-roaders more often call it an anti-wrap bar. It is a bar connected at 3 points (2 at the axle, and one connected to a shackle, connected near/to transfer skid). This allows the bar to move with axle flex, but does not allow the axle to rotate.

You also need to do a LOT more to your rig to make it even remotely safe. Steering, rear drive line, brake lines, shocks, etc.
Not sure why we're still jumping this guy's ***. He never mentioned a track bar. He said "t-bar". He has also stated it's just a woods vehicle. He's upgrading the other stuff, getting new tires, SYE, etc.

I'm kind of curious to see the progress. If it's Offroad only, he wo.t have the limitations we have. (my wife has to be able to drive my jeep)
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #25
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermatt View Post
Not sure why we're still jumping this guy's ***. He never mentioned a track bar. He said "t-bar". He has also stated it's just a woods vehicle. He's upgrading the other stuff, getting new tires, SYE, etc.

I'm kind of curious to see the progress. If it's Offroad only, he wo.t have the limitations we have. (my wife has to be able to drive my jeep)
Extrapolating from his post, he was talking about a track bar. You wouldn't say I'm buidling a longer traction bar, since the Jeep never had one. His Jeep did have a track bar, which he stated in another earlier post that was too short.

Woods vehicle or not, without properly setting it up will lead the jeep to destroy itself (Hence the vibes felt from a stock drive train SOA)

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #26
Steve707
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Isn't bump steer a bigger issue when you're turning a lot or are driving on uneven surfaces? IE in the woods?
Steve707 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 11:35 PM   #27
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Turning is a relative issue when it comes to bumpsteer. Wait. "Relative" isn't the right word. "Involuntary". That's the one I'm thinking of.
Unread 04-24-2013, 03:06 AM   #28
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hahaha! Nice avatar

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.