First jeep build on a budget - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > First jeep build on a budget

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Evap SkidRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
yjripper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

First jeep build on a budget

I have just purchased my first jeep. a 1990 Yj 4.2. i want to build a capable rig but still road worthy. But being a college student i really cant afford to be dumping a bunch of cash in it right now

i was thinking a 4 inch rough country suspension lift
maybe 1 inch shackles and 34" interco tsl's

what else should i consider and does this sound like a decent setup

Thanks for the advice

yjripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
93jeepREDSOX
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Are you considering changing gears or beefing up your rear axle, with the 34's who knows what will happen to it. Mine blew up with 33's and just driving on the street.
1993 YJ 4" RE lift, 1/2" shackles, AA SYE Kit, 33x12.50 Trxus M/T, Warn bumbers front and rear, Warn M8000 winch, 4 Hella fog lights, Magnaflow cat, flowmaster muffler with no tailpipe, herced tub, tj flares

HOW BOUT THEM REDSOX

My Rigrator score 535RRv1.0 BOA 25
93jeepREDSOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
yjripper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i can get a ford 8.8 pretty cheap but i would need to swap out the 4 lugs for 5 lugs
i was gonna run on stocks until i break and eventually try the axle swap
Unread 02-18-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
beachedjeepyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I would research mods before you go out and get them and know what your jeep can take. With that much lift you will probably need a sye and cv driveshaft another 600$ or you might be able to get by on the t-case drop without drive line vibrations. Id recommend 33s at most for the stock axles the d35 can be weak might not be your case though, your also going to need new wheels or get backspace your current ones so you dont rub. Also depending on your current gears your jeep is going to be a dog with those tires without a gear change.

Starting to sound like a bunch of money right? Id start out with a smaller lift and tires if your tight on cash, a 2.5 inch lift can get you by on 31s and stock wheels with capability. You can get TJ flairs for more tire clearance too if you want.

Another good mod would be replace the stock carter carb if you still have it with a mc2100/2150, can be put together for less than 100$ and is a big improvement. I have an install link by me in my sig, very easy swap.

Oh and welcome to this forum, be prepared to spend most of your time here and under your jeep. Good choice on getting a yj!

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/motorcraft-carb-swap-961766/[/url]

Last edited by beachedjeepyj; 02-18-2010 at 08:39 PM..
beachedjeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
yjripper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

the guy i bought my jeep from said he has used the 4" rc and doesnt really have any problems. but i still have a couple of months before i start the build so i want to make sure i know everything i can
thanks for the advice
Unread 02-18-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
Blazin Den
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If your on a budget you might want to go with a RC 2.5, a 1 inch body lift, TJ flares, and mabe some trimming and you can fit 33s pretty good. If you dont like the body lift you can do like 5/8 boom shackles. With 4 inch you get into mabe needing an sye, and 34 tsl you would prob need to regear and step up the axles.
95 White YJ 2.5L/AX-5 Stock on 31s. Ground Pounder Fab (BESRK) Front Bumper, Herculined Interior, Windshield/Front Bumper Mounted Lights, Uniden PRO 520XL Cb,Hidden Hitch Trailer Hitch, Bestop Supertop, Modified CJ7 Hardtop and CJ7 Twist Handle Full Doors (winter)
Blazin Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 08:37 PM   #7
beachedjeepyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah just lurk around the forum a bit and you will be surprised on how much use full info you will find. I started out 3 months ago when i bought my yj not knowing much and know i understand pretty much everything in my jeep. Mostly from running into problems haha.

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/motorcraft-carb-swap-961766/[/url]
beachedjeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4.2 , budget , first jeep , interco , suspension

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.