First Jeep...95 Wrangler YJ and I'm looking for tips... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > First Jeep...95 Wrangler YJ and I'm looking for tips...

Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!JK Front Axle Truss

Unread 04-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
rcincorporated
2004 TJ Wrangler 

First Jeep...95 Wrangler YJ and I'm looking for tips...

Looking for tips, guidance, advice..... Always wanted a jeep...now I have one and don't know where to start. I'm a mechanical novice and really need things dumbified and broken down for me.

rcincorporated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
aontkos
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you want to wheel with it, make sure you get a Posi-Lok for the front end.
aontkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
hondacr21
1995 YJ Wrangler 

anything particular you are wanting to know?
1995 Sahara, Borla header, Rear stretch 103" wheelbase, Sniper Fab Comp Corners with 3" flare, SOA with .75" SL, 2 1/2" Rancho lift on 37"s MTR's on 15x8 eagle alloys. JB4x4 steering bracket, M.O.R.E., 8.8 with limited slip and 4.10's, AA SYE, modified XJ front driveshaft, Superwinch EPi 9.0, homemade boatsides, 6 point cage.
hondacr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
Unii
1995 YJ Wrangler 

search search search... welcome
Unii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 09:50 PM   #5
91BoD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Did you steal my jeep? haha

1st get a lift and ditch the huge shackles, they just mess up everything. What's the eye to eye measurement of those? I'm currently saving my pennies for a good lift.
2nd anything currently wrong? jeeps are kinda a if it an't broke don't fix it unless your bored and want something else to break. =)

and yeah what uni said! I've spent way to much time searching around =)
Welcome and happy jeepin
91BoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 10:06 PM   #6
machinehead131
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aontkos View Post
Not necessary. Many other alternatives....

To the OP do your research and don't go off advice from just one person.

Thank you.
machinehead131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 10:10 PM   #7
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum man, congrats on the Jeep. I would change all of my fluids, plugs, etc. first. After driving your YJ for a bit the things that need to be looked at will become real apparent.
Mark4883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 10:24 PM   #8
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a tip, anything over 2.5 inches of suspension lift and you are highly advised to install a slip yoke/ cv driveshaft system, which is not cheap, then, consider if you want retain tires taller than 31's, you are dealing with a rear drive axle, a dana 35..which likes to break on special occasions. So, these are a few things to consider, an axle upgrade, and slip yoke over 2.5 inches of suspension lift, and re-gearing the axles too far beyond 31's. More opinions from Moonshine..
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #9
geusey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Best advice I would have is take it out and have some fun
even totally stock, these things are great vehicles, and when stuff breaks (and it WILL break), you get an excuse to upgrade.
Unread 04-11-2010, 10:55 PM   #10
newyj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

welcome, happy jeepin, read read read...........................

[url]http://www.cityprofile.com[/url]

[url]http://www.pgh-offroad.com[/url]
newyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 11:40 PM   #11
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Tie a surfboard to the top and have fun!!!

(I'll be there in 4 weeks! yeah baby! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 01:30 AM   #12
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aontkos View Post
Eff that. Swap in a one piece shaft from a TJ or XJ and call it good.

OP, read here...http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...s-here-580536/

Before you start spending money, read as much as possible and learn from our mistakes. Its alot cheaper that way. Don't worry about trying to go big right out of the gate. That jeep just might suprise you by how capabile it really is. The first thing I would do is remove the front and rear trackbars and the front sway bar. That alone will get you a decent amount of flex and greatly improve the ride and off road capabilities without sacrificing safety. If you search around, you probably see JoeDillards infamous blue trash can.

Take care of any issues it has, and drive it. when your not driving it, read about it.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 11:26 AM   #13
rcincorporated
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's leaning

Just had the rear end re-done and about to turn it in to have the brakes replaced...

Now it's LEANING. The shocks on the right are fully extended and compressed on the left....any ideas on why this might be?
Unread 04-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #14
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

As the old saying goes, if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Just enjoy the jeep for a while, drive it, wheel it and then decide what improvements you need to make it more capable for what you want to do with it. We have folkes on here that do extreme rock crawling and folks that just do mild trail rideing and everything in between, one size doesn't fit all. If you just want to hit a trail once in awhile, you don't need dana 60's, both ends locked with 35 inch tires. So it's important to decide what you want from your jeep for the kind of wheeling you intend to do so as not to throw alot of money at it needlesly. I think any jeep could benift from a 2.5" lift, a good set of 31" tires, at least 4:10 gears and a lsd like the detroit true trac in the rear. As you get more experience and decide you what to get more hard core, then you can modify from there. More than likely the sugestions I have made will serve you well and give you a capable jeep, while still being highway friendly and very enjoyable without spending an arm and a leg. Don't over think it, you can spend alot of money on a jeep for parts you may not need. Take some time to get a feel for your jeep, enjoy it and go from there.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 01:15 PM   #15
rcincorporated
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell View Post
As the old saying goes, if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Just enjoy the jeep for a while, drive it, wheel it and then decide what improvements you need to make it more capable for what you want to do with it. We have folkes on here that do extreme rock crawling and folks that just do mild trail rideing and everything in between, one size doesn't fit all. If you just want to hit a trail once in awhile, you don't need dana 60's, both ends locked with 35 inch tires. So it's important to decide what you want from your jeep for the kind of wheeling you intend to do so as not to throw alot of money at it needlesly. I think any jeep could benift from a 2.5" lift, a good set of 31" tires, at least 4:10 gears and a lsd like the detroit true trac in the rear. As you get more experience and decide you what to get more hard core, then you can modify from there. More than likely the sugestions I have made will serve you well and give you a capable jeep, while still being highway friendly and very enjoyable without spending an arm and a leg. Don't over think it, you can spend alot of money on a jeep for parts you may not need. Take some time to get a feel for your jeep, enjoy it and go from there.

Tags
new guy , wrangler yj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.