First Jeep 87 YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > First Jeep 87 YJ

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 04-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
mdlk51
2005 LJ Wrangler 

First Jeep 87 YJ

My name is Justin, live in SC, Have always wanted one and finally found a good deal on one that needed a little work so jumped on it. Steering box was sheared off in an accident by PO and bent one of the already flat leaf springs. Was manual steering so went ahead and got it drivable first to see any other issues that came up and converted it to power steering thanks to so many helpful write-ups on here! Since the springs were flat and one bent was a good excuse to put a lift on it since I had to buy springs anyways. Read a bunch of mixed reviews on lifts to go with but decided to go with the rough country 4" because of the price and this will be a second vehicle/ mainly trail riding. Thankful for this site because there will be much to come in the future.

87 YJ 2.5L
4" RC shocks, springs

Want:
Front lockers
Any other suggestions from those of you who know

image-2070726495.jpg   image-4134136274.jpg   image-2105041796.jpg  
mdlk51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

looks good.

if it were mine, i would swap to a family roll bar. (i think they look better) i would put some steps on the sides also.

i have an 87 too but mine is a 6 cylinder

here is mine:

the reason i say the family bar is because you can better soft tops with that bar then the old cj style sport bar. i have a softopper on it right now and love it. and you see how the steps get used. my kids love to stand on them all the time. they hang their foot on it while we ride around town and when we go off roading, we usually have about 8 kids in the jeep and two or three stand on the steps as we slowly go up hills and stuff. they help for getting in when you are on a super steep incline also
Unread 04-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
mdlk51
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I am planning on getting some steps or making some, it is much harder to get in and out of now with the lift. I will look into the roll bar too never really paid much attention to there being different styles honestly.

Yours looks sharp too, I am getting into the whole Jeep thing pretty hard.

Have a couple other things to get done on it before I do much other accessory stuff, noticed I have a bad wheel bearing on one of the rears after I got the lift on ( I am assuming) and none of my gauges work right now either.
Unread 04-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

check for a ground issue on the gauges.
Unread 04-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
mdlk51
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I am hoping it will be something simple, there are a lot of wires unplugged and all where the radio was so going to start tracing them and will check for ground issues as well, is that a typical problem with these?

I am leaning more now toward a bent axle instead of bad wheel bearing because when lifted with a jack there is virtually no play in the wheel but when driving it (not far since I have noticed it just around the yard) it has a "wobble" side to side not to where it feels it will fall off but noticeable. I know the Dana 35 is not the strongest but which is more common or is it something else?
Unread 04-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Nice looking Joop.

Since you said the PO trashed a spring and the steering gear box in an accident, you could have a bent axle, or possibly the frame is bent. You may want to take it to a shop and have them check it out just to make sure.

There's a lot said about the YJ's, both good and bad, especially about the '87. Personally, I love my '87 WAY more than I did my '95. The roll bar debate is another strong one. I like the sport bar myself. Looks more classic. The family roll bar looks like a prison to me. I can get any top for the sport bar that was available for the CJ-7, which was made for many years, so top selection is not an issue.

While I agree with superj about steps making it easier to get in, I prefer rock slides. They're functional for both getting in and for protection on the trail. I've seen tube steps shredded from rocks on the trail.

Not so sure about superj taking 8 kids, plus 2-3 on the sides, up/down hills and such. Sounds more than a little bit dangerous to me. I once saw a girl fall out of the back of a minivan that was doing 3mph. She split her head open and was in the hospital for a week.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
MUDLYFE
Jeep Driver 87 YJ

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Good Looking Jeep, I have an 87 as well...
20130413_180728.jpg  
Remember. . . .A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
-- Author Unknown
MUDLYFE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

'87's unite!!!!!!!!!!

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
mdlk51
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Those are sharp too! I am pleased with it so far. I think I am going to take it to a shop to be looked at about the axle if that is what it is probably will look at upgrading to an 8.8 or d44, know there is a lot of debate about which one out there.

If I have the 2.5 i should have 4.10 gears right?
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #10
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yes. 4:10 in the 2.5

Unread 05-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #11
mdlk51
2005 LJ Wrangler 

That's what I thought I had read but wanted to make sure. Going to have a shop look at it and see exactly what it is, bearing or bent axle if axle is bent may look at upgrading the rear end probably with the 8.8 since already 4:10 gears.
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #12
sahara92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

What part of sc ya from ??
sahara92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:56 AM   #13
mdlk51
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm in North Augsta, right in between Augusta GA and Aiken,sc.
Unread 05-02-2013, 05:21 AM   #14
sahara92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

oh ok. I live in Florence myself, that's why I was curious

Good looking jeep BTW
sahara92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.