JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   First Gen 4Runner rear springs for YJ front stretch (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/first-gen-4runner-rear-springs-yj-front-stretch-1482523/)

soonermatt 02-21-2013 02:25 PM

First Gen 4Runner rear springs for YJ front stretch

I would like to stretch my front ~5 inches. I considered using Waggy/XJ bastard packs but the Waggy springs are getting near impossible to find.

I read that the 4 runner rear springs are 47" (1 inch shorter than the Waggy fronts) and ~20" from one eye (3 inches more offset than Waggy). They are 1/8" narrower than waggy springs which is acceptable.

This would be perfect for my build; especially if I can hack an XJ spring as a military wrap like I did on my rear. They are probably pretty easy to find in junkyards as well.

I've done much searching but have not found a definitive thread on this. Does anyone have any experience with this?

For background, you can see these Toyota springs in the truck section: http://littlekeylime.com/MrN/mrnimages/leaf_springs.png

Carlos14 02-22-2013 07:08 AM

This is definitely an interesting idea. I'm in to see where it goes.

skyj 02-22-2013 08:41 AM

I know there was a guy on here that runs toyota springs his jeep is orange if I remeber correctly. Its worth a shot you could be our ginney pig sooner:laugh: or try out the mazda truck springs like we discussed in another thread. do you have any plans for steering with these springs? do a search on Pirate may be able to turn something up.

soonermatt 02-22-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyj (Post 15015299)
I know there was a guy on here that runs toyota springs his jeep is orange if I remeber correctly. Its worth a shot you could be our ginney pig sooner:laugh: or try out the mazda truck springs like we discussed in another thread. do you have any plans for steering with these springs? do a search on Pirate may be able to turn something up.

Yeah I actually found out about these on Pirate. The Mazda trucks seemed a little more hard to find although I won't be picky. All I really need is a good main leaf ~48" long and I'll use $7 XJ springs for the majority of stuff.

I'm going Asto box, full shock hoops, high steer and 5" stretch via Toyota springs is my current plan. I *might* even be able to keep stock drag link initially.

b_a_mech 02-22-2013 09:03 AM

some good data to hold on to there....:highfive:
watching :eyebulge:

CDW_327 04-27-2013 09:35 PM

Has anyone tried the Toyota rear springs yet? They seem like a really good option to get 5-6" of stretch and not kill departure angles. I wounder what kind of lift they would give on a YJ SUA. I might have to give em a try.

soonermatt 04-28-2013 08:26 PM

I never followed up on this. I could not find the Toyota springs.

I did find some 48" Isuzu Rodeo springs and bastard packed in some XJ mains as secondary. I did a 5.5" front stretch. The slightly thinner Rodeo springs, only being a 5-pack and the flat XJ springs in the middle was flexy but not too wobbly. I'm very pleased.

CDW_327 04-29-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soonermatt
I never followed up on this. I could not find the Toyota springs.

I did find some 48" Isuzu Rodeo springs and bastard packed in some XJ mains as secondary. I did a 5.5" front stretch. The slightly thinner Rodeo springs, only being a 5-pack and the flat XJ springs in the middle was flexy but not too wobbly. I'm very pleased.

I found some Yota stock replacement springs on JC Whitney for like $120 a piece. The only thing that worries me about them is I don't know what the spring rate is on em and how much lift they would give on a YJ or how soft/hard they would ride.

I like your Rodeo leafs, you said they are very soft? There 48" so they could be bolted into the stock rear mounts. How exactly did you build your Rodeo pack? (What leafs...)

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

The time now is 12:07 AM.