First Build 1991 Renegade to NORMAL YJ. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > First Build 1991 Renegade to NORMAL YJ.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #16
ParkerJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Putting the dash in was ugh at best but it was starting to come together! Yes I did put a new carpet in and I know most of you don't haha but this is a daily driver for myself and my wife.

We didn't want to buy new rims just yet as its January and living in Pittsburgh would just mean they would get ruined so we improvised with the old scratched up ones.

Before:

After:

ParkerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #17
ParkerJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Last it was time to get tires.

My son helping pick out good tires

Unread 01-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #18
ParkerJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

And the final product!

Dirty and wet inside my work! Sorry for only one picture, I will post more!

There is a ton of extras I did to it at the end and tomorrow when its not raining/snowing I will get more pictures to show the finished deal as well as the extras. The steps are custom by using the old renegade side step support (the only plus of the kit) I was able to put diamond plate around it and make a better looking side step. I also put diamond plate on the front to cover the gab between the grill and front bumper. The front and rear bumpers are from 4wd hardware. I will post more pictures tomorrow.

Thanks for looking and if you have any questions please ask! I look forward to posting more and more on these forums!
Unread 01-11-2012, 11:03 PM   #19
ParkerJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I forgot to mention, all of the following were replaced: (not shown in pictures)

Windshield
Windshield Frame
All the Gaskets.
Exhaust (pacesetter installed)
Master Cylinder
Brake Vacuum.
Prop. Regulator
Cold Air Intake (Ram Air)
Door Handles
Inside Door Handles
Stereo
Wiper Motor
Brake Lines
Fuel Lines
Gas Skid Plate
Headers (banks)
Body Mounts
All Seals.
Fender support bracket (had to build it)
Front and Rear Brakes
and so much more lol
Unread 01-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #20
ParkerJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Total Cost of the restore was 2,000 for the jeep and 2,000 for parts but bringing a dead jeep back to life is priceless.
Unread 01-11-2012, 11:26 PM   #21
rulppa

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerJ View Post
Next phase of attack was all the rust on the body, FLOOR PANS and support brackets. What a nightmare! Those renegade kits held water perfectly to rust a jeep out!

In this photo you see a ton of mig welds...that's where Jeep had drilled holes to hold the renegade body kit on!

I was having ***** time when i welded mine, to keep that original JEEP side molding/text there too Did you hide it completely?

Good job and pretty fast too
rulppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 11:36 PM   #22
ParkerJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I had to hammer the jeep text in So its completely hidden. You know how prone that spot is to rust and how much fun it is to fix! Did your rust make it into the supports? Rebuilding those was a nightmare! Thanks for the compliment! rulppa, your Jeep has to be one of the best YJs I've ever seen, well done!
Unread 01-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #23
liftedyj91

1991 YJ Wrangler 

what products did you use to paint the jeep and how bout the under coating? it dosnt look like it was in too bad of shape! mine was in much worse condition. the frame aswell good job it looks great!
Unread 01-15-2012, 05:48 AM   #24
xeroid81
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I tip my hat to you sir on a job well done! I wish I had the energy to undertake a project like that. My mind is young but the body is getting old to do that kind of labor. The results of a "labor of love" speaks for itself. Great job!
xeroid81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #25
ParkerJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftedyj91 View Post
what products did you use to paint the jeep and how bout the under coating? it dosnt look like it was in too bad of shape! mine was in much worse condition. the frame aswell good job it looks great!
Thanks! Its omni paint products for the entire project, even the primer, catalyst and flex. My undercoating was krown and on top is a rhino lining/truck bedding. That renegade body kit hid alot of the rust but as soon as we removed it all the rust made itself known. My frame only had 2 rust holes both under the radiator support.
Unread 01-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #26
ParkerJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeroid81 View Post
I tip my hat to you sir on a job well done! I wish I had the energy to undertake a project like that. My mind is young but the body is getting old to do that kind of labor. The results of a "labor of love" speaks for itself. Great job!
Thank you! In hind sight though my love grew to resentment several times haha. While I love the jeep I'm now wishing I would have had bought a new tub and avoided the months of body work. Plus now driving it I'm paranoid beyond belief of someone hitting me and baby it way to much for a jeep. I can only imagine what I'll be like when I finish it and start trail blazing. Yikes!
Unread 01-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #27
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice job mate. Personally I love my Renegade kit, but each to there own. I guess I am a little lucky as I live in the middle east and rust is not such a problem out here!
Great work though, I really need to learn how to weld, and get a house with a garage, and have time.... Maybe later eh? he he
Unread 02-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #28
ParkerJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymartin View Post
Nice job mate. Personally I love my Renegade kit, but each to there own. I guess I am a little lucky as I live in the middle east and rust is not such a problem out here!
Great work though, I really need to learn how to weld, and get a house with a garage, and have time.... Maybe later eh? he he
Man I wish I had all those sand dunes to hit like you do, seriously jealous!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.