First Build 1991 Renegade to NORMAL YJ. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > First Build 1991 Renegade to NORMAL YJ.

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday Sa

Unread 01-11-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
ParkerJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

First Build 1991 Renegade to NORMAL YJ.

Hi everyone!
I just finished my very first Jeep Wrangler rebuild and figured I'd share the pictures with everyone. First off I'd like to state that I am an amateur mechanic at best and without the big help of friends and family none of this would have came together. This was a huge labor of love taking near 10 months to finish just due to time constraints and learning curve (law school, work, wife, kid etc)

I bought this Jeep for 2000 and it was my first wrangler ever. I always wanted to own one and couldn't pass up the the deal however, the renegade body kit is horribly ugly! And so began my first Wrangler rebuild...Enjoy

ParkerJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
ParkerJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Here are the original Jeep when I bought it. Looks good eh? Looks as all wrangler users have come to find out can be deceiving!

Unread 01-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
ParkerJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

After removing all the body "armor" of the renegade kit we found all the fun and then some of body rust! The body and frame on this thing was a nightmare! I didn't think to take any photos of allll the rot but here is a photo of the frame and body upon seperating them. Notice all the fun holes left behind by the awesome renegade body kit!

Unread 01-11-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
ParkerJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

After the body and frame were seperate we started to attack the frame first. Luckly the frame was relatively solid. There was only two bad spots (both under the radiator). After a good sanding I painted the frame a firehouse red to work with the black.

I also as you can see put on new gaskets, cleaned up and painted the transmission and engine. What you also don't see is brake, fuel and emergency lines. As exspected, every line was rusted out to the point of no return and would need replaced!

Unread 01-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #5
ParkerJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

After getting all the lines and frame in order it was time to start on the body. I started as a novice welder and after this project feel like an expert lol. A fun fact about Renegade Jeeps is how much they utterly DESTORY the Jeep itself to put on the plastic body kit. I had to completly fabricate new fenders as they were cut out to have the kit put on.

The backend and tailgate were also rusted to no return and needed to be fabricated as well.

Also upon inspection of the tailgate it seems someone had wrecked into the back of it. So I had to cut it open, rehammer it straight, weld it close and fix the holes in it! *note to self, buy a new one next time
Unread 01-11-2012, 11:32 PM   #6
ParkerJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Next phase of attack was all the rust on the body, FLOOR PANS and support brackets. What a nightmare! Those renegade kits held water perfectly to rust a jeep out!

In this photo you see a ton of mig welds...that's where Jeep had drilled holes to hold the renegade body kit on!

Unread 01-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
ParkerJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Once all the holes and rust were removed it was time for some preventative action! Time to undercoat that body!

Upon further decision I added an extra layer of primer just to be safe! Note my father in law spraying on the undercoat. You can also see were the floor pans had to be replaced.

Unread 01-11-2012, 11:39 PM   #8
ParkerJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Now it was time to put the body back on the frame after all the lines had been replaced and everything painted and sealed!

New front brakes and with body on the frame.

New Warrior skid plate since OBV the original was rusted away.

Unread 01-11-2012, 11:40 PM   #9
ParkerJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Once the body was on we threw on rhino lining on the inside of the tub as well to insure that this body would avoid rust best as possible!

Unread 01-11-2012, 11:41 PM   #10
ParkerJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I forgot to mention that we also installed a 2" body lift while putting the body back on as well as new body mounts and rear brakes.
Unread 01-11-2012, 11:43 PM   #11
SnowYJ
1988 MJ Comanche 

Wow man, thats some good well you did! Awesomemseeing it come back to life. On a side note, you may want to cut down or replace that 2" bl with a 1"
Unread 01-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #12
ParkerJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

So at this point it was time to the roll this bad boy into the garage for body work! Wouldn't you want to cruise this bad boy downtown haha.

O yeah, forgot this fun...
Unread 01-11-2012, 11:45 PM   #13
ParkerJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006JWRU View Post
Wow man, thats some good well you did! Awesomemseeing it come back to life. On a side note, you may want to cut down or replace that 2" bl with a 1"
Was debating it after I put on my lift but without that body lift I couldn't fit my 31s haha. Thanks on the compliment!
Unread 01-11-2012, 11:48 PM   #14
ParkerJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

At this point I filled in all the errors, dents, etc and began the body work process. 100000 hours later of sanding the jeep was ready to be primed.

Old renegade door prior to priming.

New primed door

Primed and ready to go.

Unread 01-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #15
ParkerJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

This thing needed sooo much sanding and body work but the outcome was fantastic!
Post Painting:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.