Firing order - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Firing order

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 08-05-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
flpoorboy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Firing order

I just purchased a 93 wrangler.My first jeep.I decided to do a tune up.I Changed the plugs(NGK),wires,cap and button.Before I changed them all out I hade no noticable miss now t has a miss not steady but sparatic.The wires are not in the right order according to the manual and I think someone changed the direction of the distributor. the firing order as on it present is 142536.With #1 is facing engine block.Ive tried 153624 starting with the present #1 with no avail.It wouldnt even crank.Any help would be great.

flpoorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flpoorboy View Post
I just purchased a 93 wrangler.My first jeep.I decided to do a tune up.I Changed the plugs(NGK),wires,cap and button.Before I changed them all out I hade no noticable miss now t has a miss not steady but sparatic.The wires are not in the right order according to the manual and I think someone changed the direction of the distributor. the firing order as on it present is 142536.With #1 is facing engine block.Ive tried 153624 starting with the present #1 with no avail.It wouldnt even crank.Any help would be great.
I can help you out, but you have to fill out your profile first.....engine size is a big help and part of your profile.
Unread 08-05-2010, 07:52 AM   #3
nitecop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry to tell you 1-5-6-3-2-4 is the correct firing order,..for all straight sixes.
There are 2 different Top dead centers
One is of course 180 degrees out
The other is the compression stroke.
You can put your finger over and open spark plug hole as you crank the engine over you will feel the air push around you finger.
This is when you are on the compression stroke.

You Cannot change the rotation of the distribtor. It is what it is.(clockwise as viewed from the top)

You don't have to pull the distibtor no matter what. Yank all the plug wires off of it. Find the correct TDC for #1 now place the #1 plug wire on the cap in whever it lines up with the rotor. Now going in a clockwise roatation go
1-5-3-6-2-4 and you are done.
Project f-Xj F150/XJ Ford eXtreme jeep combo
06 6 Speed LJ my daily driver.
Colorado Jeep club memeber #505
nitecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flpoorboy View Post
Did you check for the firing order on the intake manifold? I don't think I've ever seen an engine that didn't have the FO cast into the OEM manifold, and (for the AMC sixes) it's usually found on the front end of the plenum as mounted.

Your 1993 YJ should have the 6-242 (since you give a six-cylinder firing order.) You can't change the direction of the distributor without having the camshaft reverse ground as well, and having the firing order wrong should still allow the engine to crank (it either won't catch at all, or act like the timing is way out.) If you didn't pull out the distributor, you can't have put it in the wrong way round - so we'll go ahead and rule that out.
Unread 08-05-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
Did you check for the firing order on the intake manifold? I don't think I've ever seen an engine that didn't have the FO cast into the OEM manifold, and (for the AMC sixes) it's usually found on the front end of the plenum as mounted.

Your 1993 YJ should have the 6-242 (since you give a six-cylinder firing order.) You can't change the direction of the distributor without having the camshaft reverse ground as well, and having the firing order wrong should still allow the engine to crank (it either won't catch at all, or act like the timing is way out.) If you didn't pull out the distributor, you can't have put it in the wrong way round - so we'll go ahead and rule that out.
There was a post once from somebody who had a timing issue and he had posted a picture when somebody noticed that his advance on the distributor was not pointing at number one cylinder. He was told to pull out the distributor and get it positioned right, but mine is off as well and runs fine, so I never adjusted it, but could this be an issue here for the OP? I have no idea why it wouldn't even crank though.
Unread 08-05-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
flpoorboy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks I ll try to find TDC and go from there.
Unread 08-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #7
SloppyJoseph
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The FO is on the engine. I had to look for it one time.
SloppyJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 09:38 AM   #8
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Regardless of where to find the firing order, this IS THE order for every jeep inline 6 motor: 1-5-6-3-2-4

As far as your current issue, top dead center is where you need to start.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 09:57 AM   #9
flpoorboy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

FIXXED!!!Thanks sooo much for all your help.It took a total of 5min once I understood the problem. (Hanks again guys.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.