A Firefighter's YJ Resto Thread - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > A Firefighter's YJ Resto Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 04-06-2011, 11:00 PM   #91
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Made it by to pick up the 8.8 at the welding shop. He did a good job on it. Said it took him quite a bit of time to go slow with the diff housing. I jokingly asked if I was able to spin a tube, could I come back and chew him out about it. He laughed and guaranteed I couldn't spin a tube on it now. He told me about several pulling trucks he has welded the tubes for, one of which he says is pushing 500 hp, and none have broken or cracked a weld yet. I went ahead and had him do the perches and shock mounts while he had it. I'll take care of any brackets for brake lines and the traction bar.

Anyway, I'm hopin' to get back at it over the next few days and get it cleaned up, painted, and installed. I also have the 8.8 kit from ECGS, so replacing all the old original components will be much easier.

After unloading it from the truck, I went ahead and swapped the D35 vent fitting with the 8.8 fitting so I will be able to use the extended stainless brake line designed for the Jeep axle I already added to the rear.

Ford fitting on the left, D35 on the right...

D35 fitting added to the 8.8...

That's it for today.....thanks again for taking time to check out my project.

Unread 04-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #92
firefighterjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Did you get the calipers ironed out today?
Unread 04-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #93
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighterjeep View Post
Did you get the calipers ironed out today?
Yeah, wasn't much ironing, just swapping. Done in literally a minute. Thanks again for the info while I was stuck in the world of no interweb access. I was pretty sure I was backward.
Unread 04-10-2011, 09:00 PM   #94
firefighterjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Glad I could help. FINALLY got the hard top off. We took the bike for a short spin to Bdubs for supper....she purrred like a kitten. Then took her back to finish up reinstalling the soft top hardware.
Unread 04-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #95
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Glad I could help. FINALLY got the hard top off. We took the bike for a short spin to Bdubs for supper....she purrred like a kitten. Then took her back to finish up reinstalling the soft top hardware.
Cool. Bout time you blew the dust off of her.
Unread 04-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #96
firefighterjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, yeah...I hear ya.

How far did you get with the axle today?
Unread 04-10-2011, 10:00 PM   #97
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

So it's been while since I've been able to make time to work on the axle swap. I was able to get quite a bit done last night and a couple of hours today. The other day, I had some trouble removing the crosspin to get the c-clips off and yank the axle shafts. When I removed the retainer bolt, I didn't look at it closely or I would have realized it had sheared off at the end of the threads. Being my first time doing this, when I backed it out, I thought it was supposed to be only a short bolt. I found out the hard way that there was a much longer section left in the carrier. After some mild "encouragement" with a drift/hammer, I heard metal land in the pumpkin and the bar gave way a bit finally. I held the bar centered and rotated the carrier to find this.....

Fortunately, I did not break the entire "channel" out, but hate that I didn't pay close enough attention to what was going on. I didn't want to go the route of putting a new carrier in because I plan to re-gear and add an ARB in the not so distant future so I tried to come up with a solution. I hope it works! If not, I guess I'll find out the hard way and the re-gear and ARB may have to be hurried up a bit. I found a new retaining bolt at NAPA for $4.99. It was actually on the shelf out in the store.

This one was just a bit shorter than the original even though this was the actual matching part number I found on multiple exploded diagrams of the 8.8 diff. Since it didn't reach into the remaining part of the carrier channel I broke, I decided to drop a small tack at the point where the crosspin meets the carrier. I believe it will hold well and should the time come to remove it again for service, the small tack weld will be easily removed. After doing this, I rotated the carrier to make sure the small weld wound not interfere with anything else, especially when it passes the pinion gear.

I'm sure some will flame me for this fix, but that is what I came up with to suit my needs for now and I guess I'll see if it works out the way I think it will. As brittle as I've read the retaining bolts are, my fix may prove to be more secure than the original.
Unread 04-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #98
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah, yeah...I hear ya.

How far did you get with the axle today?
Done. Posting now...
Unread 04-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #99
firefighterjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter315 View Post
Done. Posting now...
Then I'll just shut up and wait..........
Unread 04-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #100
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

After working on that crappy surprise, I got on to the e-brake shoes. Again, this was my first time dealing with drum style brakes, so I had to take time to figure out how everything worked before tearing them apart and putting the new shoes on. I actually left one side intact while I did the other completely so I would have something to reference if I happened to forget how it went back together. It wasn't that bad, and while the first took me thirty minutes or so, I was able to get the second done in about ten minutes. That doesn't include the time I took to clean up and paint the dust shields and axle ends.

Primed...

New shoes installed...

Evidently this is the foreman. Sitting down on the job...(local stray that comes to visit when I am there working)

The other side went about the same, just quicker.

I went ahead and finished cleaning up the axle and got a coat of primer and paint on it. Went with the same black I used for the frame.

Unread 04-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #101
lclark2074
1990 YJ Wrangler 

wow iam jules of no rust good luck grate bild
Unread 04-10-2011, 10:56 PM   #102
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If anyone is following along, you probably noticed the photos above don't exactly follow the "repairs" I had to make to the carrier. I actually put the axle shafts back in last night and left the cross pin in without the retaining bolt to keep the spider gears and shafts/c-clips in place. I finished my carrier project today before working on the brake lines/calipers.

I actually put the rotors/pads/calipers on last night before leaving because the paint was pretty much dry at both axle ends. I did have to swap the calipers side to side today after looking at them and realizing I had installed them with the bleeder screws on the bottom. I figured that since air travels up, I probably should have installed them with the bleeders on the top. A quick call to FFJeep since I don't have interweb access at the station and he checked here on JF for me and let me know that I should have indeed installed with the bleeders on top. A quick two minute swap, and I was on to working on the hard lines. I bought the 8.8 kit from ECGS that included new rotors, brake pads, e-brake shoes, hard lines, and braided stainless flex lines. It also includes new e-brake cables to meet up with the YJ cable at the frame.

Frame to axle extended brake line included with the Crown set I installed a couple of weeks ago.

Brake lines and hardware from ECGS....

Driver side done. I attached the new mounting tab to the back of the spring perch where the OEM lines had been attached with a different fitting. I wire-wheeled the paint off the perch end and welded these on rather than using self tappers to hold them.

For the passenger side, I chose to weld the mounting tab to the perch there as well. The hard line for this side that was in the kit was not going to be long enough, so I used some 3/16 line that I had left over from the earlier repair along the frame and bent/double flared a longer stainless line for this side. I followed the factory path and used the OEM tabs when possible along the tube.

Before finishing today, I primed and painted the perch ends I welded to and also the retaining tab on the top of the diff housing.

I didn't paint the diff cover because I have a new RuffStuff on it's way...

After getting this under the Heep FINALLY, I'll go measure for the DS and get it ordered. Probably going to go with a Tatton. Other than the DS and some new shocks, this is the next project on the list.....

Thanks again for reading about my little project. As always, I appreciate any comments, ideas, or feedback!!!
Unread 04-10-2011, 11:00 PM   #103
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclark2074 View Post
wow iam jules of no rust good luck grate bild
Thanks! One of the biggest reasons I got this YJ was the lack of rust. When I see some of the other projects and incredible work that goes into them by some true miracle workers on here, I feel very fortunate to only have the little bit of frame rot I did have!
Unread 04-10-2011, 11:01 PM   #104
firefighterjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Looks great! I see Stripes approved of my shop stool. Did you go ahead and slide the axle under or are you waiting for help?
Unread 04-10-2011, 11:07 PM   #105
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Looks great! I see Stripes approved of my shop stool. Did you go ahead and slide the axle under or are you waiting for help?
Thanks brutha! It is still on the stands. I was getting ready to put under, but I had a couple of kiddos telling me it was time for supper. I need to swap out those u-bolts anyway. Gonna call L-ville 4WD tomorrow to see what they will do about that. Also going to try and pick up the crankcase vent tube if I can find one. The million errands keep adding up! I'll let ya know when I get back at it this week.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.