A Firefighter's YJ Resto Thread - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > A Firefighter's YJ Resto Thread

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #76
firefighterjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'll definitely be there Monday.

Unread 04-03-2011, 12:28 AM   #77
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I decided today that I wanted to clean up the fenders a bit before putting them back on. Figured now was as good a time as any with them off. I pretty much just focused on the interior wheel wells for now and will take care of the rest later. After a good scrub down, I got a new coat of primer/paint on them.

Driver side. All in all, pretty decent shape to start with I guess.

I ended up using 3 light primer coats and 3 color coats followed by 2 or 3 clear. The passenger side didn't have anything different or exciting compared to the driver side, so I'll just throw a before/after pic in here.

I'll get these back on Sunday or Monday and get everything mounted back to them. Then I hope to get to tearing that old 35 out.
Unread 04-03-2011, 12:39 AM   #78
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Speakin' of paint. I mentioned in an earlier post that I chose to use the oil based enamel that we put on the steel workbenches around the firehouses. I grabbed a pic today of one of those benches to show how it holds up to severe beating.

I painted this bench two years ago and it often gets beat on by quick vent saws (picture chain saw on steroids) as I do routine maintenance, hydraulic rescue tools, vent fans, and any other work I need to do around this station. It also has held up well to many different puddles of different oils and gasoline. I did leave a nice circle on it with a small brake fluid leak that I didn't notice until it was to late, but what paint doesn't that crap eat through?!?!? Anyway, here is how it looked today after two years of regular abuse.

I guess we'll see how well it holds up to the abuse a Jeep frame takes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Unread 04-03-2011, 06:42 AM   #79
GRYDE001
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter315 View Post
Speakin' of paint. I mentioned in an earlier post that I chose to use the oil based enamel that we put on the steel workbenches around the firehouses. I grabbed a pic today of one of those benches to show how it holds up to severe beating.

I painted this bench two years ago and it often gets beat on by quick vent saws (picture chain saw on steroids) as I do routine maintenance, hydraulic rescue tools, vent fans, and any other work I need to do around this station. It also has held up well to many different puddles of different oils and gasoline. I did leave a nice circle on it with a small brake fluid leak that I didn't notice until it was to late, but what paint doesn't that crap eat through?!?!? Anyway, here is how it looked today after two years of regular abuse.

I guess we'll see how well it holds up to the abuse a Jeep frame takes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Is this the same Rustoleum oil based enamel that everyone is using with the "$50 rolled on paint method" ??
Unread 04-03-2011, 08:17 AM   #80
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

GRYDE, I read some of those roll on paint threads a couple of years ago, but don't remember what paint was used. This is the Rustoleum Professional oil based enamel that comes in the bright silver can. I rolled both the bench you see and my frame with those small sponge trim rollers. It lays a nice even coat without all the brush marks. Both were stripped all the way down and primed well before putting on two coats with about 1 hr between each one. The rattle can version works well, but would take 5 or 6 coats to get the same level of protection. For body application I would think it may need to be thinned a bit first. Maybe some painters will chime in with some accurate info on that.

Thanks for reading & the question!
Unread 04-03-2011, 07:00 PM   #81
honda250ex
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good so far man, keep up the good work, and I like the user name " firefighter" are you paid or volunteer ?
Unread 04-04-2011, 09:01 AM   #82
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda250ex View Post
Looks good so far man, keep up the good work, and I like the user name " firefighter" are you paid or volunteer ?
Thanks! I am a volunteer FF/EMT with the largest department here in my home county. I worked full-time in the fire service for 4 years, but decided I couldn't justify ignoring my earning potential any more. I am a registered nurse and had left that for the fire service......and around a 70% pay cut. Now I still get to do all the fun stuff and don't have to deal with the politics of it. Our department has a paid chief and office staff along with around 70 volunteers. We operate 5 houses and pretty function just like a full time department with duty crews just about every day of the week. I MUCH prefer being a volunteer in the fire service compared to my time doing it as a full-time job. Although, I think I work more hours now than I did then.
Unread 04-04-2011, 11:21 PM   #83
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I was finally able to find some time over the last day or two to get some work done. I went ahead and got the fenders back on and everything under the hood is now where it is supposed to go. I'm happy to start working on the other projects I have been waiting to do. Ignore the wiring on those bumper lights, I wrapped those around the lights during the tear down. I will rewire all of my lights and add on crap later during this project.

I did have one casualty....from what I read, I'll probably have to find this crankcase breather tube at the wonderful dealership.

While I was finishing up under the hood, my brother from another mother, FirefighterJeep, was working on pulling the rat's nest of wiring from the dash. I got tired of the tons of wiring that much of which had no use.

He also pulled the old factory speakers from behind the dash. I believe he told me they weren't even wired, but if they had been, they are so dry rotted and torn, they wouldn't have done anything.

It was around 0100 by the time we got to this point, so we called it a night and planned to hit it again Monday morning.
Unread 04-05-2011, 12:07 AM   #84
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Today, we got started on the 8.8 install. I spent quite a bit of time carefully cutting the stock Ford spring perches off so I could try and reuse them. We got the D35 yanked pretty quick and were able to disconnect the e-brake cable intact so whoever I sell or give the axle to can have the option of using the stock cables and brake hardware.

I was able to find the 8.8 spring plates on eBay for 19 bucks a set shipped. They were from a fabricator who is no longer going to make them and was clearing out his stock. Picked up a set for FirefighterJeep too for his installation just down the road. These plates are very beefy and very well made.

8.8 waiting for it's turn to be a part of something much cooler than the Exploder it came from.

Before cutting the perches off, I made reference marks to transfer the original position around to the top side of the tubes for my SOA application. I then used a Dremel cutting wheel to lightly score the tubes as a reference to use when locating the perches for the YJ springs.

Unread 04-05-2011, 12:13 AM   #85
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Time to do a little cutting. I started out just using a cutting wheel on a Dremel trying to be careful and only remove the weld on the perches, but that was taking TOO long. I changed the game plan to using a grinding wheel to remove most of the weld, then a 4.5" cutting wheel where I could. I then finished up with the Dremel cutting wheel and encouraged the remaining weld to break with a BFH and a steel rod to allow be to deliver the force to the underside of the perches.

While I was working on the perches, FFJeep worked on cleaning up the new spring plates a bit. I ordered them a while back, so they had a little bit of surface rust on them. He used the quarter here to show the thickness of these very strong plates.

My view from the recliner while he finished up grinding the tubes smooth after removing the perches. Who says good help is hard to find?!?!?!?

Good Job FFJeep!!!

New yoke flange and 12 pt. bolts waiting for the install. I got this with the 1330 u-joint option.

8.8 hanging in u-bolts waiting to position the perches. I used the reference marks I made earlier and found their center point. From that, I measured outward 5/8" and made a second mark. Using that mark as a new center point, I measured out 1.25" each way to create two new reference marks which the 2.5" wide perches would sit between and center the axle under the Jeep.

After getting the axle centered under the Jeep and snugging up the u-bolts (which will have to be swapped because they are too "deep" and we wouldn't have had enough thread to fully torque them to spec) I used a straight edge and a piece of string to aim the pinion nut directly at the TC rear output yoke nut. Then using an angle finder to determine that angle, I dropped the pinion 2 degrees and tacked the perches in that position. I also located my Currie lower shock mounts where I wanted them and tacked them as well. I placed those at 90 degrees to the bottom of the axle tube and then rotated them up approx. 5 degrees to keep them from acting like shovels in the mud/dirt, while still clearing the bottom of the axle tubes.

We pulled the 8.8 back out and cleaned it up a bit more and then loaded it into my truck. I'll drop it by the welding shop in the morning to have the axle tubes welded to the diff housing and the welds on the perches and shock mounts finished while he is at it. I didn't trust myself to properly weld the tubes to the housing. I'll go ahead and tack the brake line tabs and anything else after getting it back and setting it up.

This is where she sits tonight. You'll notice FFJeep went ahead and pulled my light bar while I was cleaning up the 8.8. I have another project in mind in that area.

Trust me, the pic above does not accurately depict the work we got done today. That floor was a wreck while we were working. I just can't stand to leave a dirty work area when I'm done for the day.

For anyone who thinks I am working FirefighterJeep too hard, this is how he rolls when working on an 8.8 installation. Can't blame him, it was a good idea!

Thanks again for reading! I'll have more when I get the axle back and finish that up before heading on to the high steer project in the next week or so. As always, any comments or questions are VERY welcome!!!
Unread 04-05-2011, 09:03 AM   #86
firefighterjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hey, maybe I just didn't want to catch you laid back in that recliner while I did all the work again!!

BTW, is it just me....or are you realizing the effects of our slight oversight in not wearing dust masks while doing all that grinding?
Unread 04-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #87
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

For your speakers in the dash to prevent mud and debris from getting into them put a fine mesh cloth over the face of the speaker. You'll be glad you did. Great work!
Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 03:58 PM   #88
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighterjeep View Post
BTW, is it just me....or are you realizing the effects of our slight oversight in not wearing dust masks while doing all that grinding?
I'm pretty much dealing with that several times a week since starting this work, so I'm just used to it now. I'm sure when I have my dept. physical this year, they will tell me my heavy metal content is through the roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flajeeper1 View Post
For your speakers in the dash to prevent mud and debris from getting into them put a fine mesh cloth over the face of the speaker. You'll be glad you did. Great work!
That's a good idea! I don't know what I'll put back in there yet. I haven't looked around to see what is available in that weird size. Any ideas? I wonder if I could find some marine speakers in a size that would work in there?

I dropped the 8.8 off at the welding shop today and should have it back tomorrow afternoon if I can make time to get by and pick it up. The guy doing the work told me he has built pulling trucks for years and has welded many tubes to the diff housing. He said it does take some time to deal with the heat sink effect from the housing. I'm looking forward to getting it back and all the new parts on it so we can get it installed and DS ordered.
Unread 04-05-2011, 07:10 PM   #89
slashway
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Great thread so far FireFighter, really enjoy reading what you've done so far and can't wait to see where you take it! And it's nice to see someone else who considers themselves relatively green in this work diving so deep.

Quote:
That's a good idea! I don't know what I'll put back in there yet. I haven't looked around to see what is available in that weird size. Any ideas? I wonder if I could find some marine speakers in a size that would work in there?
I'm sure it's pretty low on your Jeep to-do list, but I read a post somewhere, I think it was on here, about someone using some marine speakers in place of those in-dash kickers a while back. And I know I keep folding the corner in Quadratec's catalog on a set of replacements... Hope that helps.
slashway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #90
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Slashway! I'm trying to get it close to right in most cases. Are the speakers you've been looking at in QTec marine grade? I'll have to go take a look at the catalog and see what they've got. I'm focused on main components right now, but don't mind picking up other items here and there in the process. Thanks for taking time to read my thread!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.