Time to do a little cutting. I started out just using a cutting wheel on a Dremel trying to be careful and only remove the weld on the perches, but that was taking TOO long. I changed the game plan to using a grinding wheel to remove most of the weld, then a 4.5" cutting wheel where I could. I then finished up with the Dremel cutting wheel and encouraged the remaining weld to break with a BFH and a steel rod to allow be to deliver the force to the underside of the perches.
While I was working on the perches, FFJeep worked on cleaning up the new spring plates a bit. I ordered them a while back, so they had a little bit of surface rust on them. He used the quarter here to show the thickness of these very strong plates.
My view from the recliner while he finished up grinding the tubes smooth after removing the perches. Who says good help is hard to find?!?!?!?
Good Job FFJeep!!!
New yoke flange and 12 pt. bolts waiting for the install. I got this with the 1330 u-joint option.
8.8 hanging in u-bolts waiting to position the perches. I used the reference marks I made earlier and found their center point. From that, I measured outward 5/8" and made a second mark. Using that mark as a new center point, I measured out 1.25" each way to create two new reference marks which the 2.5" wide perches would sit between and center the axle under the Jeep.
After getting the axle centered under the Jeep and snugging up the u-bolts (which will have to be swapped because they are too "deep" and we wouldn't have had enough thread to fully torque them to spec) I used a straight edge and a piece of string to aim the pinion nut directly at the TC rear output yoke nut. Then using an angle finder to determine that angle, I dropped the pinion 2 degrees and tacked the perches in that position. I also located my Currie lower shock mounts where I wanted them and tacked them as well. I placed those at 90 degrees to the bottom of the axle tube and then rotated them up approx. 5 degrees to keep them from acting like shovels in the mud/dirt, while still clearing the bottom of the axle tubes.
We pulled the 8.8 back out and cleaned it up a bit more and then loaded it into my truck. I'll drop it by the welding shop in the morning to have the axle tubes welded to the diff housing and the welds on the perches and shock mounts finished while he is at it. I didn't trust myself to properly weld the tubes to the housing.
I'll go ahead and tack the brake line tabs and anything else after getting it back and setting it up.
This is where she sits tonight. You'll notice FFJeep went ahead and pulled my light bar while I was cleaning up the 8.8. I have another project in mind in that area.
Trust me, the pic above does not accurately depict the work we got done today. That floor was a wreck while we were working. I just can't stand to leave a dirty work area when I'm done for the day.
For anyone who thinks I am working FirefighterJeep too hard, this is how he rolls when working on an 8.8 installation. Can't blame him, it was a good idea!
Thanks again for reading! I'll have more when I get the axle back and finish that up before heading on to the high steer project in the next week or so. As always, any comments or questions are VERY welcome!!!