A Firefighter's YJ Resto Thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > A Firefighter's YJ Resto Thread

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 03-19-2011, 01:30 AM   #31
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboyky View Post
Looks good Eric! Would really like for ya'll to join us for a ride soon!
Thanks Mitch! Let me get it all back together and we'll have to come meet up with y'all.

Unread 03-21-2011, 08:59 AM   #32
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Haven't been able to make much progress over the past week or so. The entire family has been sick at one point or another. Hopefully, everyone is now on the way back to normal! I did get the newly bent brake line run down the frame rail and the mount for the rear extended braided line mounted, but that was about all I could get done before heading back to the couch. Being sick SUCKS! I'm not 100% happy with the line right now and may redo it. I'll try to get some pics up in the next few days. As always, any comments/suggestions are welcome.
Unread 03-21-2011, 09:40 PM   #33
firefighterjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Glad y'all are feeling better. Bummer you had to sit out on trench class.

Matt texted me some pics the other day. He's been working on his axles to get them ready for installation (grinding, painting, brakes, etc). He's got the rear finished...still got the front to go. He also pulled the trigger on some new 33" BFG KM2s and some beadlocks. Gonna look good. Says he's already addicted!

Holler when you're ready to get that tub back on.
Unread 03-21-2011, 10:15 PM   #34
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighterjeep View Post
Glad y'all are feeling better. Bummer you had to sit out on trench class.

Matt texted me some pics the other day. He's been working on his axles to get them ready for installation (grinding, painting, brakes, etc). He's got the rear finished...still got the front to go. He also pulled the trigger on some new 33" BFG KM2s and some beadlocks. Gonna look good. Says he's already addicted!

Holler when you're ready to get that tub back on.
I had no doubt he'd hit hit hard from the beginning! Can't wait to check it out.
Unread 03-22-2011, 08:01 AM   #35
shalpin26
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looking great. Subscribing for future reference
shalpin26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2011, 08:30 AM   #36
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Shalpin!
Unread 03-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #37
Troy1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Very nice work so far. Im looking forward to following along. I too am about to replace the fuel tank crossmember on my YJ. I got a replacement from the dealer. ART didnt have one advertized at the time I bought it. Did you happen to get any installation instructions with the crossmember you got from ART? If so did it come with any meassurements to take befor cutting out the old one? I wouldnt mind having a look at them if you still have them. Im not sure if you can send me a PM or not so we can find a way to get the instructions. Thanks in advance.
Troy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2011, 10:33 PM   #38
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Troy1, ART did not send me any instructions for the crossmember. Before cutting the original out, I took a cutting wheel and CAREFULLY scored a very shallow line on the frame parallel with each plane of the old member. Essentially outlining it on the frame inners. I also took several frame width measurements at several locations in that area for future reference. Then I cut the bulk of the old member out, leaving about 1/4 inch on each side. I then carefully took each side the rest of the way down with a grinding wheel, being careful to leave my "scribe" marks I had made. Fit the new one in (it did require some grinding to fit exactly) against the scribe marks, and checked my measurements. Tacked in place and checked the fit of the fuel skid when fully mounted. When everything looked perfect, burned it in with .035 flux core at max juice and wire speed around 2 or 3 on my Lincoln Promig 140. I was sure to lay an inch or so before moving to the other end to avoid warping. 2 weeks later after prime/paint, the skid fit like a glove and the bolt holes were perfect. The faint scribe marks were close enough to be included in each weld. I weigh around 250 and have jumped on that new member and it is solid as possible. Have to give ART props for creating an exact match for this piece. Feel free to ask any questions while you do it if you think I could help!
Unread 03-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #39
Troy1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info. I too have taken measurments and made lines on the frame with a paint marker. I will also be welding in some 1" square tube for braces between the frame rails in front and behind the crossmember. I like that idea of making scribe marks with the cuttoff wheel, I may do that also.

Looking at your pictures it seems that you have welded the rear triangle sections that are attached to the frame to your crossmember. My original crossmember dont appear to have those welded to it but its in really bad shape. The replacement I bought dont have them attached to it. Can you remember if your original crossmember was welded in this same area?
Troy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2011, 11:47 AM   #40
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy1 View Post
Looking at your pictures it seems that you have welded the rear triangle sections that are attached to the frame to your crossmember. My original crossmember dont appear to have those welded to it but its in really bad shape. The replacement I bought dont have them attached to it. Can you remember if your original crossmember was welded in this same area?
Those gusset type angles from the rear edge to the frame were on my original crossmember and on the ART part as well. Those were welded up by ART. I only welded the member to the frame.
Unread 03-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #41
USAFStout88
1994 YJ Wrangler 

good work man cant wait to do mine

2004 TJ 2.5 RC spring lift with discos smittybilt xrc front and rear bumpers 10k winch incab control some other goodies

[QUOTE=KHoff90;12552955]Beer, blow, hookers and bacon[/QUOTE]
USAFStout88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2011, 12:12 PM   #42
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFStout88 View Post
good work man cant wait to do mine
Thanks! Preshadit it!

I just realized a whole page has gone by with NO PICS! THAT SUCKS! I gotta get back on my horse and get some posted up here so you all at least have something to look at instead of just reading my endless rambling....
Unread 03-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #43
firefighterjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You?....RAMBLE?!?!? 
Unread 03-23-2011, 01:58 PM   #44
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Unread 03-23-2011, 02:05 PM   #45
firefighterjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Haha!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.