A Firefighter's YJ Resto Thread - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > A Firefighter's YJ Resto Thread

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-20-2011, 11:11 PM   #151
firefighter315
I got a brain sneeze....

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighterjeep View Post
Copy that. You also said something about maybe having the pipe bent a tad to clear, but that was before you took 'er for a rattle-free test ride.
That was if I take the route we discussed. I'll have a little curve put in there as long as it doesn't take it right up against the heat shield. I'll poke around with it and see where I'll end up going. I just want to get that gigantor muffler outta there at some point.

Unread 05-20-2011, 11:18 PM   #152
firefighterjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I hear ya on the "made for the YJ muffler". (Still calling BS on that one) Hey, there's always the coat-hanger option to hold it up!
Unread 05-20-2011, 11:28 PM   #153
firefighter315
I got a brain sneeze....

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I think the "YJ" fit on that one referenced the input/output diameters and offset only! Certainly not the body size of that thing.

I might see if I can have the muffler shop drop two sets of opposing 20-30 deg or so bends in a section for me to give me a little "hump" over that cross member if it gets to rattling.
Unread 05-20-2011, 11:35 PM   #154
firefighterjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, anything you have to mount off kilter at 45 degrees ain't model specific.
Unread 05-22-2011, 11:17 PM   #155
firefighter315
I got a brain sneeze....

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I found some time to get back to working on the gate re-do. I went with a little Bondo to correct any imperfections after grinding and sanding the welds down.

You can see here on the first area, after removing the excess Bondo before it cured, there were very few areas that needed or accepted any fill of any depth.

After block sanding with 60 grit, followed by 130, I decided to use a little glazing compound to fill any pin holes or sanding marks in the Bondo. I am more confident in how it will perform this time because the areas it filled were nearly invisible to the naked eye and therefore very very shallow.

After final block sanding and prepping for primer/paint.

First coat of primer down.

Second coat of primer.

And, third coat.

Primer coat wet sanded with 800 grit paper.

First coat of color down.

Second layer.

Third.....

Fourth and final color layer.

Topped with two or three coats of clear. I'll wait a week or so to allow the clear coat to harden well before buffing it out and waxing it.
Unread 05-22-2011, 11:41 PM   #156
firefighter315
I got a brain sneeze....

1994 YJ Wrangler 

While waiting for time between coats, I decided to go ahead and get my exhaust hooked back up. When I did the rear frame repair, I chose not to put the rear hanger back because I kind of figured I would do something different. Mine was in poor condition and most fixes work marginally at best. I chose to chop the tail pipe and angle it a bit like several others have done. When I bought this Jeep, the PO had done the same thing, but left the down turn right over the rear axle. I didn't like the idea of heating the axle housing any more than it got already, so I tried to angle it in a way that didn't directly heat any one area more than necessary. We'll see how it works.

I used the tail pipe section that I bought several years ago to correct the poor job the PO did that I just mentioned. I took some measurements under the Jeep and found a section that I thought would work well for what I wanted.

I cut this section out with my angle grinder and cleaned up the edges. I also forgot to take any pictures between making my marks and the installation. I ended up keeping the same muffler for now (Cherrybomb ) and clamped in the shortened tail pipe. It works really well from what I can tell. No excess heat noted at the axle housing, inside tire wall, or passenger axle end. Sorry for the poor pics.

Rather than cut off the hangers from the old tail pipe and tack them to this sectioned piece, I used some strapping and fashioned a hanger connecting to the original hanger location on the tub.

Like FFJeep mentioned above, when I first put that muffler in, I could not get any combination to work well that positioned it where it needed to go. Apparently during this tub off project, I moved something right (or just got lucky) and it now fits perfectly like it should. I guess I'll let it ride for a while and then maybe look for something that consumes a little less space. At least this one is up and out of the direct path of damage despite it's larger size.

After finishing the exhaust, I still had several paint coats to wait on, so I gave her a good bath and layer of Carnuba for the summer. Hopefully the mud and grime will wash off easier now.

I hope to get my new shocks in some time this week and then get an alignment done so I can get her back into regular use! Still have quite a few projects in mind and hope to get one or more done this summer. Thanks for lookin'!!!
Unread 05-25-2011, 08:00 AM   #157
firefighter315
I got a brain sneeze....

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just checked the tracking number and my new shocks should be waiting for me at home this afternoon.

Scheduled an alignment for Friday. FINALLY, I am going to be able to get this thing back on the road! And hopefully, back OFF the road very soon too!

Some time in the near future, I hope to also get it into the stealership to have the e-brake recall work done before hooking the new 8.8 cables up.
Unread 05-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #158
Boss_hog
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Just subscribed... wish I would have found your thread earlier. I'll be watching your build closely.

Boss_hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 10:17 PM   #159
Boss_hog
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter315 View Post
I didn't get any pics of it, but before doing the passenger rear frame, I cut out the fuel skid front crossmember and welded in a replacement. I got the new crossmember and rear frame repair section from Autorust Technicians. I read quite a bit about them before buying and thought about making my own, but believe me, the price wasn't bad and it was well worth it. These replacement pieces are beefy and easy to work with. Their welds were very well done and solid. I finally remembered to get some pics after welding in both replacement pieces.

Here is the new crossmember. Don't bash on my welds too bad, I've only been "practicing" for a couple of years. I did have a seasoned and skilled welder buddy check them out for me and he said they were very solid and would work just fine. Whew.....got lucky.

I thought I had some pics of the rear frame after welding in the new piece, but I guess I forgot to get those. I do have some after prime and paint, but I'll get those on here in a bit. After getting the frame and crossmember done, I did a little work on the body mount tabs. Most were in perfect shape, but a couple had a bit of cancer and the mounting holes were no longer round. I thought that might eat up the new Daystar body mounts I have waiting to go in them, so I came up with a solution. I cut some flat stock to mount to the top of the tabs and cut the appropriate sized hole. I then welded these to the top of the body mount tabs. Even though the flat stock isn't incredibly thick, I thought it would be best to have all the tabs at the same level so to speak.

This is how two of them looked before adding the flat stock.

Here is how they came out.

This is one of the good ones, but they got new plates added too, to make all the tabs uniform.

Just finished reading your thread. Its coming along nicely. Keep up the good work. I had a question for you tho. My front grill mount was rotted out like yours and was wondering if you knew the size of the hole. Is it the same as the other frame body mount holes or is it a different size?
Unread 05-26-2011, 12:19 AM   #160
firefighter315
I got a brain sneeze....

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Boss! I am actually done with the major stuff for now. I still have a few projects planned for the summer, but want to have time to enjoy driving it again too. I've had it in pieces for several months now and I'm having withdrawal. The front mount is smaller IIRC. I'll try to remember to put my caliper on it tomorrow and get the hole size for you. I may have to remove the bottom of the bushing to get you the actual hole size. No problem though. Thanks again! Stay tuned, I hope to get to some more "fun" stuff this summer and not just repair work.
Unread 05-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #161
Boss_hog
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks Boss! I am actually done with the major stuff for now. I still have a few projects planned for the summer, but want to have time to enjoy driving it again too. I've had it in pieces for several months now and I'm having withdrawal. The front mount is smaller IIRC. I'll try to remember to put my caliper on it tomorrow and get the hole size for you. I may have to remove the bottom of the bushing to get you the actual hole size. No problem though. Thanks again! Stay tuned, I hope to get to some more "fun" stuff this summer and not just repair work.
I know exactly what ya mean. I really want to get my jeep ready for this summer. I going to start having to go all out and stop playing around to get it ready. It'll be a shame to not have the top down this summer.. especially since this is my first jeep
Unread 06-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #162
firefighter315
I got a brain sneeze....

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just realized I haven't taken time to post here lately. I've been too busy driving my Jeep!!! It had been too long! Finally got the gate done and back on and the shocks got here finally. It rides soooo much better and I have absolutely NO driveline vibrations, which is a big change for me. It may be my imagination, but it also seems like the new rear end responds "quicker" coming off the clutch. I'm thinking it is probably eliminating any torque lost in the old worn out springs by having the new springs and the traction bar. Now I just CAN'T WAIT until I can get a re-gear done. The 4.10s are killing me still! I'll try and get some new pics in here over the next few days.

Please post up any suggestions, changes, ideas etc. I can use all the help I can get!

I have another project for her that I hope to get going in the next month or so. I'll keep quiet about that until I get some progress to show.
Unread 06-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #163
firefighterjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Haven't forgotten about that front light. I'm going to find that gremlin when I get back from vacation.
Unread 06-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #164
firefighter315
I got a brain sneeze....

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighterjeep View Post
Haven't forgotten about that front light. I'm going to find that gremlin when I get back from vacation.
I've been trying to keep my hands off of it. I know you have a personal vendetta to settle with it. Y'all be safe!
Unread 06-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #165
firefighterjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I know you have a personal vendetta to settle with it.
Got THAT right!!!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.