While waiting for time between coats, I decided to go ahead and get my exhaust hooked back up. When I did the rear frame repair, I chose not to put the rear hanger back because I kind of figured I would do something different. Mine was in poor condition and most fixes work marginally at best. I chose to chop the tail pipe and angle it a bit like several others have done. When I bought this Jeep, the PO had done the same thing, but left the down turn right over the rear axle. I didn't like the idea of heating the axle housing any more than it got already, so I tried to angle it in a way that didn't directly heat any one area more than necessary. We'll see how it works.
I used the tail pipe section that I bought several years ago to correct the poor job the PO did that I just mentioned. I took some measurements under the Jeep and found a section that I thought would work well for what I wanted.
I cut this section out with my angle grinder and cleaned up the edges. I also forgot to take any pictures between making my marks and the installation. I ended up keeping the same muffler for now (Cherrybomb
) and clamped in the shortened tail pipe. It works really well from what I can tell. No excess heat noted at the axle housing, inside tire wall, or passenger axle end. Sorry for the poor pics.
Rather than cut off the hangers from the old tail pipe and tack them to this sectioned piece, I used some strapping and fashioned a hanger connecting to the original hanger location on the tub.
Like FFJeep mentioned above, when I first put that muffler in, I could not get any combination to work well that positioned it where it needed to go. Apparently during this tub off project, I moved something right (or just got lucky) and it now fits perfectly like it should. I guess I'll let it ride for a while and then maybe look for something that consumes a little less space. At least this one is up and out of the direct path of damage despite it's larger size.
After finishing the exhaust, I still had several paint coats to wait on, so I gave her a good bath and layer of Carnuba for the summer. Hopefully the mud and grime will wash off easier now.
I hope to get my new shocks in some time this week and then get an alignment done so I can get her back into regular use! Still have quite a few projects in mind and hope to get one or more done this summer. Thanks for lookin'!!!