Troy1, ART did not send me any instructions for the crossmember. Before cutting the original out, I took a cutting wheel and CAREFULLY scored a very shallow line on the frame parallel with each plane of the old member. Essentially outlining it on the frame inners. I also took several frame width measurements at several locations in that area for future reference. Then I cut the bulk of the old member out, leaving about 1/4 inch on each side. I then carefully took each side the rest of the way down with a grinding wheel, being careful to leave my "scribe" marks I had made. Fit the new one in (it did require some grinding to fit exactly) against the scribe marks, and checked my measurements. Tacked in place and checked the fit of the fuel skid when fully mounted. When everything looked perfect, burned it in with .035 flux core at max juice and wire speed around 2 or 3 on my Lincoln Promig 140. I was sure to lay an inch or so before moving to the other end to avoid warping. 2 weeks later after prime/paint, the skid fit like a glove and the bolt holes were perfect. The faint scribe marks were close enough to be included in each weld. I weigh around 250 and have jumped on that new member and it is solid as possible. Have to give ART props for creating an exact match for this piece. Feel free to ask any questions while you do it if you think I could help!
My YJ Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.