Finishing the Nutter Bypass - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Finishing the Nutter Bypass

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 11-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
mefish
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Finishing the Nutter Bypass

Well successfully did the bypass and already feeling better about the rig although I still have a slight miss on 2 and 5 but I can start to now narrow that down as I think there are some big vacuum leaks like on the connection to the catalytic converter.
Couple of questions for those that have done this.
1. Do I need to maintain the connections to the catalytic converter? My assumption is that most of the sensors in this car are already failing or have failed but can I just cap those pipes and get rid of the tubes at this point?
2. What other vacuum connections are actually required? Since essentially bypassing the MCU with the nutter and since it controls almost all of the fuel/air and the various valves which ones are still actually operative? PCV, but remove the switch? EGR appears to run off the temp sensor in the manifold although mine is not connected that way, of course.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am diving into various other components this week including a new valve cover so having this crap out of the way would be great. I have the original repair manual which is great for walking through and making informed assumptions as to what is needed to still be connected but your insights are great.
Thanks

mefish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Look at this page. Anything that is operated by the computer or feeds into the computer can go, it no longer does anything.

http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/control.htm

You need the PCV. The EGR and Vapor Canister will still work and imho there is no good reason to remove them, but you can if you really want. I got rid of my decel valve because it leaked.

Don't just rip everything out. Identify and remove things one by one. There are lots of posts "I did the Nutter and ripped out all my vacuum lines, what do I do now?".

If you have a visual inspection (which at least here we have even though we don't have an emissions test for older vehicles), you may need to hide what you've actually done.
dancytron is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Look for a vacuum and wiring diagram of an early cj5 or cj7 and set up just like they were. I did mine like that and it runs great
Unread 11-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
mefish
1987 YJ Wrangler 

awesome page, thanks!
Unread 11-24-2013, 06:25 AM   #5
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You can get rid of pretty much everything except the PCV and CCV. You can even strip out all ECU related wiring along with the ECU itself. Use the wiring diagrams in the FSM to determine what is needed and what is not. Tedious but cleans up the engine bay really nice,
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

The intake manifold, carb base, and EGR area tend to develop vac leaks. Tighten the intake to spec, check the other areas and repair as necessary.

Do the Team Rush ignition upgrade. Do not run the high dollar spark plugs, the standard Champions listed for the engine work best and are less than a dollar each.
Unread 11-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
mefish
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't think to re-torque the intake, that's a good plan too.
Thanks
Unread 12-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #8
mefish
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Old4X,
You hit that one on the head (no pun intended). Half the intake bolts were tightened like someone used a 1/4 inch drive. Hate to pull the carb again but it seems logical to redo that gasket too since they were so loose and who knows for how long. I guess it will give me a chance to do a serious inspection of the exhaust system too.
Thanks for the heads up to check those.
Unread 12-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
mefish
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, so an update on the 87. I no longer feel it is on life support but the patient has some issues still. Just got my weber to install but the way it mounts is a little hokey with all the controls (adjustments) in the back of the carb against the firewall but then they would say that is a Jeep issue.

I still have a slight miss and when tuning the weber it seems like I have a massive air leak somewhere but even with everything disconnected and plugged I could dial the idle jet in to like half turn out and that was the best tuning. I live at 3200 feet but that seems excessive even for the stock jets. Any other sources of leaks you guys can think of. I already redid the intake gasket and literally plugged off every connection. New EGR, new PCV, pulled the brake booster line and plugged that I mean I closed off everything.
Any thoughts where another leak might be?
I did a compression check on this beast and it is in really good shape 138 to 145 on all cylinders. I am frankly pretty stumped. I mean with compression like that I couldn't have a stuck a valve could I? I've got a little lifter noise which I attribute to sitting for several years and maybe that will work itself out, who knows.
Unread 12-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #10
mefish
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Old 4X can you expand on the team rush upgrade? I thought I saw a reference somewhere to getting the parts for an 81 ford 150 or something like that to have that mid section piece and the matching cap but is that it for the upgrade?
Unread 12-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/i-...nitive-669495/
dancytron is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #12
mefish
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you very much!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.