Finish my education on budget lift solutions, shackles and body lift for 31s - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Finish my education on budget lift solutions, shackles and body lift for 31s

New Product Release: Flowmaster CA Legal Direct-Fit CatalyPartsHubDirect: Hella LED Lighting, HID Xenon, Headlamps, Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic Halog

Unread 06-20-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
01TJfuntime
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Finish my education on budget lift solutions, shackles and body lift for 31s

My cousin just picked up a 1995 wrangler with a 4 cyl and 5 speed. Its his DD and has to remain reliable as it will likely be his transportation for the next 5 years.

Hes looking to do a small lift and run 30-31" tires but is on a budget of $700. It not going to do any crazy off roading; moderate trails, some mud and lots of mall.

I have been "searching" for ideas over the past few days but meeting this criteria seems more convoluted than in the TJ world. It also appears as many of the budget lift methods (i.e. shackles and AALs) are frowned upon for various reasons.

Right now were thinking of going with 1-1.5" lift shackles and a 1" body lift. From my understanding this setup is common, its cheap and should not make the ride unbearable. Is there any opposition to this setup, any reason to avoid it? Most importantly is it safe to run? Any ill-effect to the vehicle? Are new shocks required?

And, of course, the tire size issue. Will we be able to stuff 31s in the wheels wells with the 2-2 1/2" of lift. Once again, no crazy flex just basic Michigan off roading. Were likely going to use the stock steelies but can add some wheel spacers if required.

Sorry if I hit a lot of dead horses with this one lol. Thanks for your help.

01TJfuntime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I ran 31's with a 3/4" shackle lift only. There was slight rubbing but only when flexed. The 1" body lift would most likely solve any rubbing issues if you stay 31 or smaller.

What you will find is most only recommend no more than 1" shackle and 1" body lift. Your in this range so it shouldn't be frowned upon. These are both cheap and as far as safety I never had any ill effects with my setup. And a 1" body lift shouldn't pose any problems either.

93' YJ 4.0L AX-15, 4" Pro Comp lift, 3/4" shackles, 1" BL, 33x12.5x15 BGF MT's, and some other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones
Catch me on the highway or about to tear the mall up.
Leans93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
YeepieJeepie
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I ran 31s on mine for about 5 years with nothing but cutting the fenders, TJ flares, a 1/2" shackle lift and 4.11 geared axles from a 4cyl YJ. Since he already has a 4cyl though, he can't get the cheap gearing upgrade.

[ ]||||||[ ]
||||||

YeepieJeepie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.