Finally a wrangler owner some questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Finally a wrangler owner some questions

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 06-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
metalhead
2000 WJ 

Finally a wrangler owner some questions

After 2 years of searching I bought a 94 YJ. Its got the 4 cylinder but with 164000 miles on it it runs great. Its a 5spd. This is my first wrangler and I have a question. I have not driven a stick in a long time but when your in 4th gear will the shift light come on when to shift to 5th? The tach is a 2 grand and I'm doing 50mph and I tried to shift into 5th but It doen't seem like it wants to go into 5th unless I just have to get used to the way the shifter is. I didn't drive it on the highway when I test drove it which I guess I should have. I will post a pic soon.

metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
Mr.ThunderMakeR
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't trusted that shift light since the day I bought my jeep. Its especially wrong if you have bigger tires. Just learn to shift by feel. Normal operating RPM is 2000-3000 RPM for the 4 cylinder.
Unread 06-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Next time I have my cluster out I am going to remove the bulb behind the shift indicator. Stupid, stupid idea to put that in there.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...build-1502848/

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
rykemc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
metalhead
2000 WJ 

Mostly my driving is in the 45 to 50 mph range so do I need to shift into 5th gear in that range or is 5th for 55mph and above? The last time I drove a stick was in a 2000 chevy truck and I always went by the speed. At 50 to 55 mph I would shift into 5th.
Unread 06-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

alot depends on tire size but for stock tires 50-55+ if it still won't go in gear you may have problems with the tranny, the ax 5 is known for breaking a circlip that holds 5th gear.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
Mr.ThunderMakeR
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
The tach is a 2 grand and I'm doing 50mph and I tried to shift into 5th
You shouldn't be shifting into 5th at 2k RPM. The 4 banger does not have enough power at that low of RPM. What size tires do you have? Shifting based on MPH is dependent on your tire size, and gear ratios. Just do what I said earlier and learn to drive by feel, and RPM.

FWIW, I have 33"s and I use 4th all the way up to 70, which keeps me at a little over 3k RPM. 5th gear is basically worthless to me with my tires and 4.10 gearing. The only time my 2.5L doesn't bog down in 5th is going downhill at 75+ MPH.
Unread 06-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
metalhead
2000 WJ 

Should have mentioned the jeep is completely stock.
Unread 06-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #8
sprngrider
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You should be able to shift into 5th at any time, i would get the trans looked at by a good mechanic
Unread 06-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
A_Ninja_Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprngrider View Post
You should be able to shift into 5th at any time, i would get the trans looked at by a good mechanic
I agree that you should be able to shift into 5th gear regardless of the speed you are going. your engine might boug when you let out the clutch if you are not going fast enough but there shouldn't be anything preventing the stick from going into 5th Gear. I also agree that you shouldn't be choosing your gear based on our speed. because speed has nothing to do with the conditions around you. you need to use Feel and RPM's If you are going up a hill in 5th gear and you start loosing speed you don't stay in fifth gear you drop it into 4 Maybe even 3rd?
A_Ninja_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #10
metalhead
2000 WJ 

Here are some pics. Just found out it has a recall that was never done. Glad I work at a jeep dealership.
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #11
RustedWrangler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
Here are some pics. Just found out it has a recall that was never done. Glad I work at a jeep dealership.
great pics
Unread 06-07-2013, 10:28 PM   #12
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Lol yup those are some awesome pictures.

Make sure you hit the upload button, or we will never see these pictures.

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.