finally a Jeep owner! (long winded) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > finally a Jeep owner! (long winded)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 05-24-2005, 10:40 AM   #1
CityJeep90

finally a Jeep owner! (long winded)

Sorry for the long post, but I now understand the enthusiam of Jeep owners.

Just got back from Illinois, drove the YJ all 250 miles home.

My brother-in-laws concern over top speed of 60 mph was certainly overly precautionary. After several hours of cruising between 55 and 65 (3000 rpm)
the old 4 cylinder easily went up to 70 mph. I feel it will go a little bit faster.

This 1990 4 cyl 5 spd hardtop is amazing fun. My wife is enjoying sending me out for errands and asking what vehicle I plan to take.

Will have to hold off on the convertible for a year because of safety interests. I need to replace all four shocks (originals) and all four tires (kind of look like originals). May look into taller after market rims to get a better gear ratio since this Jeep is not being planned to go off road.

The steering seems a little loose. The steering wheel spokes are positioned at 10 and 4 when going straight, instead of 9 and 3. Will have to look into front end alignment, and what that may uncover.

The oil pressure gauge pegs all the way to the right when just turning the ignition switch to on, and it stays there until the Jeep is turned off.

They had the oil changed before I picked it up and the guy stripped the drain plug and had to put in a replacement. Same shop that the jeep has had oil changes at for years.

Had to invest $7.33 into a new gas cap to pass Ohio’s E-Check.

Do need to clean a very oily engine compartment.

Also I need to use some good paste wax and elbow grease to get the Red paint vibrant again. the factory hardtop is very dirty. It is light tan colored. Any special formulas for cleaners, or just mild soap and hard work?

All in all, for a 15 year old Wrangler, 69,000 mostly city driven miles, and garaged for the first 13 years, this vehicle is in amazing shape. The back seat doesn’t even look like anyone has sat in it. The rear seat was folded up to make for some actual cargo room. The original 50 mph spare tire has never touched the ground. The cigarette lighter hasn’t even lit one single firecracker.

Seeing is believing. My teenages son kind of laughed at me when I told him other Jeep drivers would wave at us. He is not laughing now.

Guess I should go back to working instead of daydreaming about this Jeep.

Have I mentioned I now understand the Jeep feeling?

CityJeep90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2005, 10:48 AM   #2
superjoe

Congrats, and welcome to the Just Empty Every Pocket club.
()_) ()_)----)_)
superjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2005, 10:52 AM   #3
wolf3902

Congrats Rookie YJ !!!!!
I've had mine for 5 years now and I love it. I had a 3 year ongoing problem a while back that brought me to this forum. I had only gone off road a few times...mildly, But after hangin around here I'm gettin itchy!!!
My stock springs are shot..sagging and so, of course,
" Honey, the only springs I can find are a "LIFT" kit!!!"
I see your from Ohio...I'm neer Canton/Cleveland.
Good luck with the new Jeep. You'll find a lot of really helpful people here.

ONE NATION, UNDER G O D
Support It, or Leave It!
wolf3902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2005, 10:55 AM   #4
farmboy1976
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the club, remember if the jeep has problems, think of them as character!!

You will find keeping them running is a labor of love.

Congrats.
Replaces items since purchase: Tires, Top, Radiator, Starter, Slave Cylinder(twice), Clutch Master Cylinder, Lots of hoses, Ring Gear, Clutch, Rebuilt Starter, Water Temp Gauge, MC2150 carb, nutter bypass, Electric choke, TFI Distributor, replaced power steering box, Smittybilt front seats
farmboy1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2005, 02:44 PM   #5
rattletrap

Welcome to the club!!!

Years ago I owned a Land Cruiser and thought it was the coolest thing on wheels. This time when I decided to go find a 4x4 I was hell bent on getting another cruiser. 20 years ago when I had my cruiser, parts were hard to come by and expensive. I knew that they would be even harder now. I checked it out and low and behold I was right.

My brother has a 91 YJ and I drove it some and found that it was far easier to drive that the ol Land Cruiser ever dreamed of being. Parts availability is almost endless for any kind of Jeep and they drive like a car rather than like a truck.

I expected the Jeep to be tinny and filled with plastic. I was wrong again. I decided to look for a TJ because I liked the coil spring suspension, but I found a screamin deal on a 93 YJ that was not so dissimilar to yours. I LOVE MY JEEP!!! There has been very little that I've pointed it at that it hasnt just laughed at and gone right thru.

I live in the high desert of SoCal and have it out all the time. I have found that it is phenominal in the sand and overall is an excellent vehicle.

Just remember one thing that some people tend to forget. It is a Jeep, NOT a sports car!!! it is made for general driving and slow off roading. If you try to drive it too fast it will getcha

Rattletrap
rattletrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2005, 03:19 PM   #6
Goku
1947 CJ2A 

aaaah, a man and his jeep. such a beautiful thing....

congrats on the jeep!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie YJ
The steering seems a little loose. The steering wheel spokes are positioned at 10 and 4 when going straight, instead of 9 and 3. Will have to look into front end alignment, and what that may uncover.
Does it pull to one side when you let go? When I got mine, the previous owner had upgraded to a grant steering wheel, but did not put it back on straight... you may want to check this, it is about a 2 minute fix.
Quote:
Seeing is believing. My teenages son kind of laughed at me when I told him other Jeep drivers would wave at us. He is not laughing now.
This is way cool... although I notice it more with people in YJs and CJs, and much less with TJs... there seem to be a lot of folks in TJs (around here, at least)who are either retired couples, or high shool kids (whose daddy bought them a car when they turned 16), or soccer moms... so they don't understand the wave thing...

When I drive my motorcycle, or VW bug (old style, of course) the wave is there too.
Unread 05-24-2005, 10:32 PM   #7
CityJeep90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goku
aaaah, a man and his jeep. such a beautiful thing....

congrats on the jeep!

Does it pull to one side when you let go? When I got mine, the previous owner had upgraded to a grant steering wheel, but did not put it back on straight... you may want to check this, it is about a 2 minute fix.
The YJ goes straight with hands off the steering wheel. Discovering that the right side tires had 30 lbs of air and the left side had 35 was an intersting find.

I will check the steering wheel installation. The ignition key cylinder was replaced just a couple days before I picked up the Wrangler . Maybe the wheel had to be pulled for that repair.

Thanks for all the support.

My son gets to learn how to wax and rub out a faded paint job tomorrow. This weekend he may get some oil under his fingernails as we clean and replace a few maintenance items under the hood. I am having as much fun teaching him as I am driving this Jeep.
CityJeep90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2005, 11:30 PM   #8
NIUPonyBoy
2013 JK Wrangler 

My old 4banger auto YJ topped out at 68 down hill. lol

Welkommen to the club how you like her.
-'07 Mineral Gray Ford Mustang GT Convertible
-'05 Silver Dodge Ram2500 PowerWagon Hemi 4x4
-'05 Silver Ford Freestar SEL Handicapped
NIUPonyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2005, 09:22 AM   #9
Goku
1947 CJ2A 

Quote:
I will check the steering wheel installation. The ignition key cylinder was replaced just a couple days before I picked up the Wrangler . Maybe the wheel had to be pulled for that repair.
It sure does! sounds like they may have been in a hurry to get that job done so they could sell it...
I just had to replace mine a few weeks back... not the most fun job, but hey, now I can start it!
This is sounding more and more like the culprit.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.