Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Finally did a short flick of the poping I get when in 4x4.

618 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  doug_1994 
#1 ·
Just a short run because my camra sucks.

You can hear the pop when I crash into the log (It came sooner than expected) and when I slid off the log. Nothing hardcore, just a little giggle. But you can hear the pops.

I'm told a loose chain will have more of a ratchet sound instead of a pop. I also checked out the T case by seeing if the yokes were in sync with one another. The slack is very minimal to where I would say it probably came off the line like this.

I have in mind that my locker is on it's way out. Or, perhaps a ujoint?

#4 ·
I assume your front locker is an EZ or a Lockrite? If so, it sounds like the teeth are slipping on the front locker. Second choice would be the chain in the transfer case. You should open the front diff and inspect the locker. You might be able to see the teeth being slightly rounded off.

#6 ·
Are you talking about the pop at 22 seconds?

I would inspect the t-case. I had a 231 go bad over some time. When I opened it up there was obvious signs of wear.

Have you opened the t-case yet?

Check the fluid also. There is a magnet in there check it. If something is outta whack, the metal shavings will tell.

Doug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.