Finally completed the Howell install. Lots of pix. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Finally completed the Howell install. Lots of pix.

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-10-2010, 07:53 AM   #16
jth0033
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome write up... I have to do this myself some day, enjoying the carburetor for now though. Question, where did you get the attachment on the air cleaner, plastic piece that goes for square to round on the end? Thanks and great job!

jth0033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 12:17 PM   #17
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth0033 View Post
Awesome write up... I have to do this myself some day, enjoying the carburetor for now though. Question, where did you get the attachment on the air cleaner, plastic piece that goes for square to round on the end? Thanks and great job!
same as the air cleaner. I think it was an astrovan or an s-10. something with a 4.3 in it.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011, 09:42 PM   #18
tommbstone
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Is there anyone in the central valley or close willing to help me install this kit on my 89 wrangler. Pm me details price etc
tommbstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 08:20 AM   #19
TheSmanman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Excellent write up! Enjoyed the read.
TheSmanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #20
csrguth
1990 YJ Wrangler 

For anyone with an airconditioner beware the relay box (for the stepper motor) and the diode box next to it are still necessary. I found out the hard way when I dicided to finish cleaning up my working Howell TBI wiring. I also did something that resulted in the Jeep going dark when I turn the ignintion - still trouble shooting that.
csrguth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #21
mncdriver
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I started my install tonight, stripped all old wires out, working on ECM mount, your pictures is what I needed. Im sure I will have to keep refering to your writeup as I go along.
mncdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #22
mncdriver
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Question, what source wire did you use for the 12 power and switched under dash?
mncdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #23
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mncdriver View Post
I started my install tonight, stripped all old wires out, working on ECM mount, your pictures is what I needed. Im sure I will have to keep refering to your writeup as I go along.
Just an option. When I did the ECM on mine I used a big hose clamp (like for dryer ducting) it was couple dollars at the local hardware store and clamped it to the stock mount. Similar to Jeff's setup, but I didn't have any strapping laying around and saw the clamp first at the store.

Quote:
Question, what source wire did you use for the 12 power and switched under dash?
Mine could be different, but there was a yellow wire under from the column that is the switched 12v, I ran that to trigger a relay that feeds a solid 12v direct from the battery to the system.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #24
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just answered a question today about where the wires attach to the starter and figured it might be good to add to this FAQ.

Here's where the wires attach to the starter assembly:

Quote:
Here's a diagram to help locate the 12V switched wires in the computer harness:

Per the instructions provided by Howell, you can retain either the #1 or #57 (yellow) wires to power the TBI computer. This is how I wired up my 12V power. If it doesn't provide enough direct voltage, it can be still be used to trigger a relay as like what timatoe did with his setup.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #25
johnpainter
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I consulted this post before I did the Howell kit on my 1990 YJ--so, thanks! I made a video of my process to try and help the next guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvHvOyFNQvQ
johnpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2014, 09:56 PM   #26
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Just bumping this thread because I want to do this mod when you have time Jeff. (hint for your help lol)
I have the ECM and throttle body. I need to put together the rest of the parts.
Great write up. Your Jeep runs great, I'm a witness.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2014, 05:11 PM   #27
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpainter View Post
I consulted this post before I did the Howell kit on my 1990 YJ--so, thanks! I made a video of my process to try and help the next guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvHvOyFNQvQ
John, I have this kit ordered and I've been referring to your video. Thanks for taking the time to shoot that. I'm wondering about the air cleaner. Did you change that to something else? How did you tie the crankcase breather line into the intake?

Jbolty, thanks for your thread. Hoping to get something ordered for the air cleaner so it will be here when I start the install. I guess I don't want to go with the junkyard style.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2014, 03:32 PM   #28
johnpainter
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
John, I have this kit ordered and I've been referring to your video. Thanks for taking the time to shoot that. I'm wondering about the air cleaner. Did you change that to something else? How did you tie the crankcase breather line into the intake?
You know, I ended up getting that generic 10" open air cleaner thinking that I would replace it, but I ended up keeping it. The Jeep passed NJ state inspection with it, and the crankcase breather goes into the base of the open unit. There's a hole there designed for it. Someday if something better comes along I'll swap it out, but it's really been fine as it is.
johnpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #29
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply, John. Last night I ordered a Moroso 8.5". It is the same as one of the ones Howell recommends, but I got a black powder coated model instead of the chrome. Supposed to come with the connector for crankcase vent line. Cost about $75. A bit expensive, but at this point what's an extra C note or two.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2014, 10:20 PM   #30
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Doubt it. Those plugs a pre obd-1, as far as I know.

I don't think I have ever heard or read about anyone plugging anything into those. Dealer only maybe?
Check out this link for the diagnostics. http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm

One thing i think is missing is pics of the vaccuum hose connections. The install instructions arent too clear. Subscribed.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.