Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Filling up at the station issues...

2K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  Mud-n-Beer 
#1 ·
does anybody else have problem while filling up their YJ at the pump? Every time im at the gas station there always seems to be a problem with the angle of the nozzle and it shuts off by itself. im not lazy but it is really annoying having to hold the lever while it pumps out 15gal. has anyone solved this problem?

#2 ·
mine takes at as fast as it can pump, I do have to jam the nozzle all the way in though. you may have a vent tube restriction

#3 ·
because of that issue i turned the license plate holder upside down... so that it opens toward the top.

the plate light doesn't shine on it as strong or directly as before (as if i care) but i sailed thru inspection.

#4 ·
I don't have this problem at all. I can flip the little handle lock on the pump and leave it to run until it's finished.

because of that issue i turned the license plate holder upside down... so that it opens toward the top.

the plate light doesn't shine on it as strong or directly as before (as if i care) but i sailed thru inspection.
That's a pretty good idea... If I still had my plate located there I would run out and do that to mine.

#8 ·
I find that if you stick it in from a left or right angle instead of straight down it works no problem. Yes I am snickering like a 5th grader as I type this:p

#13 ·
I have the same problem. I have to turn the pump at a angle to keep it from cutting off. The few times I have set it on auto and decided to clean my windshield I was rewarded with the entire pump nozzle ejecting itself and landing on the ground(while spraying the back with gas.) I just assumed it was a Jeep thing and it never has bothered me. It was funny the one time my wife decided to fill it up for me.. She raised heck and vowed never to do that again.

#15 ·
Oh yeah, I've got the same problem. I've found that if I put it in all the way it won't work :)rofl: more 5th grade humor right!) but if I only put it in 1/2 way and make sure it's not turned at an angle at all then it will work just fine. But I still stand there the whole time just in case it comes out and sprays gas all over.

I might have to try the 90 degree thing too, but my method works for me.

#16 ·
At the time I did the 4" LED light conversion on my '91, I was only doing it because I like the way it looks.

However, while refueling the very 1st time after installing the lights was enough to sell me on the flush mount lights just to make refueling easier!

I guess I never realized how much the left rear tail light housing interferred with inserting the pump nozzle into the Jeep!

Max

#17 ·
You don't have taillight guards do you? I had them on my jeep and it made it almost impossible to fill up. I ended up doing an oval led flushmount taillight set up and haven't had a problem since.

#19 ·
NY doesnt have the locks on the pump handles, so I get really happy when I go to PA, they have them. Low taxes, handle locks, .99 cent Black and Milds, I LOVE PA

#20 ·
Here in NJ where they figure you are too stupid to pump your own gas (but a couple times a month the 'professional' gas attendant does not put the cap back on correctly) we also have these incredibly stupid compressible rubber (accordion like) fittings on the nozzle. If the rubber is not compressed it won't pump.

Some pumps are almost impossible to use with the YJ, while another one at the same station will work. I've had attendants politely suggest that I buy gas somewhere else.

I often wind up 'illegally' pumping my own gas while he goes off and takes care of other customers.

#22 ·
#24 ·
My jeep does the same thing had to put it in sideways, get some strange looks when you do that. :teehee:

#26 ·
I turn the nozzle clockwise a bit, then pump my gas at half throttle. Takes a bit longer, but doesn't bother me a bit. Sometimes I have to modify how I pump my gas, but it gets done.

Where I live, everyone seems to be in a hurry all of the time. Not me, got plenty of time to do whatever I need to do.

Yeah, I work a full time job, but I just leave a bit earlier, if I got to pump gas into the Heep, but the Heep has been sitting for (8) days now, cause of a needed repair. Thats why I have a second vehicle to drive.

Its nice to have (2) vehicles.

I can have (2) vehicles, cause I have no wife, or kids to drain my wallet.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.