fiberglass vs. oem steel windshield frames? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > fiberglass vs. oem steel windshield frames?

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-19-2001, 04:03 PM   #1
junger

fiberglass vs. oem steel windshield frames?

Does anyone have some good or bad stories that might help me to decide upon either buying a fiberglass windshield frame or an oem, Mopar one? The price difference doesnt matter that much since I think I can get them for about the same price... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanx.
-Josh

junger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2001, 05:17 PM   #2
IBjeepN4mud

Well the fiber one wont rust, and if it gets damaged all you have to do is a layup on it.
It should be less heavy than the metal one.
4th jeep ??????????? Still looking
IBjeepN4mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2001, 08:11 PM   #3
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Might not be an issue in your case, but my windshield frame gets smacked by too many tree limbs and what not to use fiberglass. I also live in Socal so rust isn't an issue.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2001, 08:43 PM   #4
Darko

I just bought the steel windshield frame for $100 from quadratec. I wouldn't get the fiberglass becuase of the durability. If money wasn't a issue, I would buy a kevlar frame. BTW if you plan on a light bar, you cant use a fiberglass, this is why I bought the steel. The steel replacemen uses heavier guage steel, and I like the quality. Up here in michigan Rust is a huge issue, I wouldn't spend my money on something I wasn't confident in. Good luck
Unread 12-20-2001, 06:30 AM   #5
battlestar

Excellent! I was wary of buying a replacement frame becuase I heard a horror story from a guy who bought one from JC Whitney. He said it was flimsy and thin and his wipers kept bending the frame when he turned them on. I usually shop at quadratec and your info is good news. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Darko:
I just bought the steel windshield frame for $100 from quadratec... The steel replacemen uses heavier guage steel, and I like the quality.
Unread 12-20-2001, 08:14 PM   #6
Bob K

I bought an excellent windshield frame out of a salvage yard. I prefer used OEM to new aftermarket for parts such as this. If you're lucky the glass might still be good. I painted it myself and clear coated it. It all looks good as new.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.