A few YJ ?'s - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > A few YJ ?'s

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 02-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #31
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticRubi View Post
Gotcha. I appreciate the tech info on the 8.8, helps put things into measurable perspective. The only real downside to the 8.8 is the offset pinion. Spare shafts aside it is known that at full droop and compression it can cause some significant binding of the driveshaft.

Ultimately it will come down to what it always comes down to, price and availability. I have a local guy now down to $400 for a matching set HP30/8.25 with 4.10's from a '95 XJ. Since this is definitely a budget minded build, unlike my JK , it's likely this set will find a home under the YJ. I can run them for now, then decide if I'm going to build them or work on another set and sell them later.
I'd like to hear more on this. I've yet to hear anyone else bring this issue to light for not installing an 8.8.

BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #32
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The offset pinion has nothing to do with binding. Its an angle. Doesn't matter whether its up or down or left or right an angle is an angle. With the correct cv type shaft the pinion is going to point upwards toward the transfercase anyway and the offset will not be noticed. Its so slight that the yoke cannot bind unless the angle has been set incorrectly. Like way off.
Unread 02-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #33
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ View Post
I'd like to hear more on this. I've yet to hear anyone else bring this issue to light for not installing an 8.8.
To be honest I'm regurgitating what I've discussed with the guys over at Elias (you're local, I'm sure you know them.) They don't really have a horse in either race so I assumed they weren't just blowing smoke.

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #34
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticRubi View Post
To be honest I'm regurgitating what I've discussed with the guys over at Elias (you're local, I'm sure you know them.) They don't really have a horse in either race so I assumed they weren't just blowing smoke.
And on the same note, I have NEVER heard that arguement from anyone or any forum... I'm with Anti on this one...And although they are not intentionally blowing smoke, but someones misguided personal opinion perhap?

Good luck with the build either way...
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #35
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ View Post
And on the same note, I have NEVER heard that arguement from anyone or any forum... I'm with Anti on this one...And although they are not intentionally blowing smoke, but someones misguided personal opinion perhap?

Good luck with the build either way...
I think it would only happen if you're running extreme angles that would necessitate a SYE and corrected pinion angle anyway.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 06:22 AM   #36
HaskiE
Thread Reviver

1992 YJ Wrangler 

keep it comin' /subscribed
#theneverendingaxe
HaskiE is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 07:33 AM   #37
rd94yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm

I think it would only happen if you're running extreme angles that would necessitate a SYE and corrected pinion angle anyway.
What axles have you ran in your yj?
rd94yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #38
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Made a "decision" on axles, a buddy in my club is putting some 60's in his scrambler and pulling out a set of waggy 44's, already with 4.88's, detroits, warn lockouts, and high steer knuckles. However...front is a passenger drop so I won't be flipping the Dana 300 and it looks like I'll have some interesting exhaust work to do. Reason "decision" gets a set of "*" is I have yet to crawl under there and see if the passenger drop is going to be a viable option clearance-wise. Getting an awesome deal on the axles so I'm going to check every angle to make sure I can accomplish this. If it's doable I think it adds something unique to the build.

Build Thread

Unread 03-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #39
rd94yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hell yea! You can run passenger side drop axles in your yj. You already have the right ideas with the exhaust, other than that you just need to possibly modify or fabricate your own trans/tcase mount/skid plate.
rd94yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #40
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

just keep in mind that the 300 is clocked down a long ways so when making a skid its going to have to have a big low spot
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #41
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494 View Post
just keep in mind that the 300 is clocked down a long ways so when making a skid its going to have to have a big low spot
Thanks for the info, I was looking at the AA or Novak clocking ring, that might help a bit.

To continue drivetrain discussion a bit, looks like the T18 plan is going out the window in lieu of a great deal. A club member just listed a 4.0 complete with ecu and wiring harness for $400 out of an 80k mile XJ and an NV3550 complete for $300. I've been looking at doing an EFI swap but it's stupid money. Never built a motor before but I may try my hand on doing a 4.5 stroker, can do than and have a trans for less than the hesco efi kit costs.

I promise I'm going to start a proper build thread when things get moving, appreciate y'all hanging around and helping out while I'm bouncing ideas around.

Build Thread

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.