A few YJ ?'s - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > A few YJ ?'s

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsLabor Day Sale!

Unread 10-24-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

A few YJ ?'s

What's up old timers? I'm looking at getting into a YJ in the near future so naturally I had a few questions. I'm sure a lot of this could be found by searching, but frankly I'm lazy, and since I'll be web wheeling with y'all in the future this can double as an intro post.

So I've got a pretty built JK that doesn't see the road much any more, mostly due to the comp stickies I'm running. Swapping some one tons in, linking the rear, fuel cell, and atlas are all happening over the next few months while we're covered in snow....moral of the story is the JK is pretty much going to be trailered and beat like it owes me money. Thus the quest for another jeep. Something that will function as a moderate trail rig and something fun to drive around town.

I'll be looking to pick up something fairly low miles and low rust, preferably something that hasnt been wheeled and modified. Tall order I know, mostly focusing my search down south.

Now for the Q&A

Q1: What are the WMS - WMS dimensions on the stock axles?

I'm planning on taking the D44's out of my JK and putting them under the YJ. They're already geared to 4.88, lockers, chromo shafts, ect, I can still use the bead locks that I currently run. Pretty much just have to fab a drag link and weld on some spring over plates. The only concern I have is the JK's are 65" axles...worried they'll be a bit too wide.

Q2: I'm looking to run 33x12.50's, probably just some MT/R K's. A spring over job when I swap my axles will net me just over 3" of lift. Should that be sufficient to clear the tires with good articulation? Should I look at some lifted springs also, maybe just add a bit of a body lift too?

Q3: Spring rates. I'm not planning on adding a ton of sprung weight, basically just a solid flat belly skid, some boat side sliders, and 1310 driveshafts, maybe some rear corners. My gut reaction is to go with a softer spring. Outside of street driving, going to be a lot of fire roads and light to moderate rock crawling. Pretty much all low speed stuff. Thoughts?

Q4: Any thoughts on the general build plan? Think of anything I'm leaving out? Hate my accent?

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...-specs-563403/

I believe SOA gives 5 1/2" so 33's may be small but will fit if you only get 3"

As for springs ask Canman that's his area of expertise.

Hate the Pats and the accent

The problems of owning 2 Jeeps ... I never know which one to work on or which YJ gets the next mod ...
mrmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmark
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...-specs-563403/

I believe SOA gives 5 1/2" so 33's may be small but will fit if you only get 3"

As for springs ask Canman that's his area of expertise.

Hate the Pats and the accent
Cool, thanks for the link. Didn't really think about the spring plate moving from the bottom to the top, just the width of the axle tube, 5 1/2" makes more sense.

I see they have vehicle width at 66" but no info on axle width. Any ideas?

I'm actually a Carolina boy, just moved up to Boston so I could make some MF'ing money!!!

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

Build Thread

Unread 10-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Dana 30 up front is 60.5", I was just looking at some 8.8 info where it referenced it.

D30 - 60.5"
8.8 - 59.25" (when looking at the normal explorer axles)
Unread 10-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdeath2000
Dana 30 up front is 60.5", I was just looking at some 8.8 info where it referenced it.

D30 - 60.5"
8.8 - 59.25" (when looking at the normal explorer axles)
Cool, thanks to the info. Looks like the JK axles will work fine, probably not with my current wheels though, 3.5" backspace and I'll we way too far outside the fenders. I'll add them to the "**** to sell" list and pick up some cheap steelies.

Build Thread

Unread 10-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you are looking only to run 33's SOA is gonna be alot of extra room as already stated... and alot of $$, especially when you take steering correction with a high steer set up...

and as stated SOA with stock springs is gonna be 5.5" lift

For your desired driving and wheeling around here, (I'm just North of you) and the 33's you can go with a 1" BL and quality 2" springs like OME, and some TJ flares (trim the tub a bit). you can also add some 5/8" shackles too...

Or 4" springs with no trimming, like RE springs. Stay away from RC...

Good luck...
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Cool, thanks for the input. Looks like the 2" spring and BL or 4" setup will be the way to go. Probably just end up going with whats most cost effective, already put enough dough into the JK. I was looking at the OME 2" spring and shock setup, anyone have anything bad to say about their shocks? haven't been real popular in the JK world.

Definitely going to beef up the shackle mounts right off the bat too, seems like every time I wheel with YJ's someone breaks a mount Been thinking a Z shackle/revolver setup if I'm going to replace them all anyway. With this setup recommend going with a mid-spring rate?

What clubs do you run with? Baystate here.

Build Thread

Unread 10-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticRubi View Post
Cool, thanks for the input. Looks like the 2" spring and BL or 4" setup will be the way to go. Probably just end up going with whats most cost effective, already put enough dough into the JK. I was looking at the OME 2" spring and shock setup, anyone have anything bad to say about their shocks? haven't been real popular in the JK world.

Definitely going to beef up the shackle mounts right off the bat too, seems like every time I wheel with YJ's someone breaks a mount Been thinking a Z shackle/revolver setup if I'm going to replace them all anyway. With this setup recommend going with a mid-spring rate?

What clubs do you run with? Baystate here.
OME is well thought of in this part of the Jeep world, especially their leaf springs.

Many who go that route prefer the HD springs.

Other good spring options are BDS and RE. Can get a good ride and very good flex/peformance out of any of these three brands.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 09:42 PM   #9
lestes94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I think I fit the criteria for the YJ you want: Fun to drive, no rust, new motor, in the south, and not heavily modified! And possibly for sale here shortly.
Unread 10-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #10
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestes94
I think I fit the criteria for the YJ you want: Fun to drive, no rust, new motor, in the south, and not heavily modified! And possibly for sale here shortly.
PM me some details. I'll be down in NC for a few weeks, about December 20th to January 10th. I can pull an empty trailer if need be.

Build Thread

Unread 10-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #11
lestes94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well, I'm in Arkansas.
Unread 10-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #12
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

With whatever springs you go with, remember that the diameter of the Dana 44's is larger than that of the Yj stock axles so spring under or over will give you less or more lift respectively. Also, most aftermarket perches are not flush with the axle tube so it will accentuate this perk. Build wisely! I can't wait to see how you figure out the steering to adapt it to the Yj.

Unread 10-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #13
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestes94 View Post
Well, I'm in Arkansas.
Hell of a ride, Googled Charlotte to Little Rock...about 800 miles. Right Jeep for the right price and I'll come get it, need some details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
With whatever springs you go with, remember that the diameter of the Dana 44's is larger than that of the Yj stock axles so spring under or over will give you less or more lift respectively. Also, most aftermarket perches are not flush with the axle tube so it will accentuate this perk. Build wisely! I can't wait to see how you figure out the steering to adapt it to the Yj.

Good point. D44 is 3" tube...maybe 3 1/8" (?) and the D30 is what, 2 5/8"? Best bet is probably to go with a 4" spring, should net enough to clear the 33's. Should have also mentioned I'll be trying to squeeze in some 12" travel shocks. Shouldn't have to french them in to the frame with the wider axles....we'll see.

I'm a bit out of my element trying to visualize all this. Looking forward to getting it in front of me and up on some jack stands. Far from anything ground breaking in terms of the build plans, but it should be fun anyway.

Not 100% sure on how the steering setup will go yet. I was hoping to leave the tie rod as is, then run a drop pitman arm and build a drag link out of DOM with one ton ends. That said, I have only a basic understanding of how the stock setup works and if there is even room to follow my plan.

Build Thread

Unread 02-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #14
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Figured I'd bump this thread since I finally found what I'm looking for:

Added another to the stable today. '88 4.2/BA-10 with 98,000 on the clock, almost no rust for a new england vehicle.

Immediate plans are a 2.5" spring lift and 33's on steelies. Once the JK is rolling again I'm going to do a T18/D300 swap and either build a set of 44's or there's always sets of HP30/8.8's floating around. We'll see what I can find on the cheap!

I'm director of trails for one of my clubs where most guys are on 33's or 35's, lets just say my JK has outgrown that scene a bit! This will be the mild/moderate rig

Feeling like a bit of an *** clown for selling the 44's from my JK

Build Thread

Unread 02-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #15
HaskiE
Thread Reviver

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticRubi View Post
Figured I'd bump this thread since I finally found what I'm looking for:

Added another to the stable today. '88 4.2/BA-10 with 98,000 on the clock, almost no rust for a new england vehicle.

Immediate plans are a 2.5" spring lift and 33's on steelies. Once the JK is rolling again I'm going to do a T18/D300 swap and either build a set of 44's or there's always sets of HP30/8.8's floating around. We'll see what I can find on the cheap!

I'm director of trails for one of my clubs where most guys are on 33's or 35's, lets just say my JK has outgrown that scene a bit! This will be the mild/moderate rig

Feeling like a bit of an *** clown for selling the 44's from my JK
Hell yeah! congrats on the Jeep!
#theneverendingaxe
HaskiE is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.