Few YJ 4.0 Turbo picts - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 112 Old 01-01-2009, 10:45 PM
ritjobbie
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,283
That is SICK! I'm jealous...


1995 YJ Rio Grande, 2.5L Low Output Engine
My Jeep Worklog
ritjobbie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 112 Old 01-02-2009, 08:57 AM
the_mork
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 448
I would look into getting a top mount intercooler, I believe that some Merkur, Volkswagen, and Volvos had them and it would not take up more space then and would fit directly along your charge piping path.

I was considering doing something like this but I had previously felt like the turbo would end up too low and be in danger of contacting water which would not be a whole lot of fun but after looking at your setup I might consider it more.

What are you using for engine monitoring? Wideband? EGT? Do you have a solution so that you can log data?

It looks pretty good overall but I would carry a fire extinguisher at all times in the Jeep based on how close the hotside is to your distributor, battery, and wiring.
the_mork is offline  
post #18 of 112 Old 01-02-2009, 10:18 AM
wranglerswrock
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: lexington ky
Posts: 430
why do people keep telling him to use an intercooler? he has already backed it up with a logical reason... it wont do squat for him while going slow, so why take up the space? plus isnt water/meth more effective anyhow?

either way, that looks incredible man, im really jealous. my friends and i thought about doing something like that to mine, but decided against it. mainly because i am still learning about turboing stuff. i better learn fast though lol, my vr4 wont wait!
wranglerswrock is offline  
post #19 of 112 Old 01-02-2009, 10:55 AM
the_mork
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerswrock View Post
why do people keep telling him to use an intercooler? he has already backed it up with a logical reason... it wont do squat for him while going slow, so why take up the space? plus isnt water/meth more effective anyhow?
Water/meth are great but they should not be considered a straight replacement for an intercooler, usually they are used in conjunction. Certainly you can get away without using an intercooler but a top mount would fit just fine and it would lower CATs even while moving slowly. An intercooler would also create more power and throttle response while on the road as well as adding a huge safety factor for the engine and increased longevity by decreasing knock.

Short answer: he can run it how he likes but I think everyone agrees that if there is an easy way to put on on then that would be for the best.

As for your vr4 are you referencing a Galant or a 3KGT? If it is the Galant then check out dsmtuners.com
the_mork is offline  
post #20 of 112 Old 01-02-2009, 11:25 AM
themonkeyman
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerswrock View Post
why do people keep telling him to use an intercooler? he has already backed it up with a logical reason... it wont do squat for him while going slow, so why take up the space? plus isnt water/meth more effective anyhow?

either way, that looks incredible man, im really jealous. my friends and i thought about doing something like that to mine, but decided against it. mainly because i am still learning about turboing stuff. i better learn fast though lol, my vr4 wont wait!

If he uses a liquid-to-air IC it will work just fine at low speeds.

Sweet job though! As mentioned, you're hairdryer is rather close to the accessories/wiring, and Dist. Might wanna add some heat shielding on the front half of that puppy, just to ensure you don't fry your wiring and get stranded.

Just my $.02
themonkeyman is offline  
post #21 of 112 Old 01-02-2009, 11:34 AM
the_mork
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 448
I would also look into relocating the battery to the back seat.

I wouldn't be as concerned about the alt as the battery, I know my alt is a lot closer to the hotside of the turbo on my eclipse than yours is. Relocating would also give you more room to run wiring farther away and let you get a better angle on your downpipe.
the_mork is offline  
post #22 of 112 Old 01-02-2009, 01:49 PM
yunkj17
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ramstein
Posts: 70
i would def ad alot of heatwrap to every part of that thing

l ______
/l ,[____],
l---L –OlllllllO-
()_)-()_)--o-)_)
yunkj17 is offline  
post #23 of 112 Old 01-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Brads_nky_yj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northern Kentucky/Cinci Area
Posts: 3,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_mork View Post
Water/meth are great but they should not be considered a straight replacement for an intercooler, usually they are used in conjunction. Certainly you can get away without using an intercooler but a top mount would fit just fine and it would lower CATs even while moving slowly. An intercooler would also create more power and throttle response while on the road as well as adding a huge safety factor for the engine and increased longevity by decreasing knock.

Short answer: he can run it how he likes but I think everyone agrees that if there is an easy way to put on on then that would be for the best.

As for your vr4 are you referencing a Galant or a 3KGT? If it is the Galant then check out dsmtuners.com
That would be his 3000GT. Its gonna be sweet if it ever gets worked on!!

93 YJ - SOLD
Brads_nky_yj is offline  
post #24 of 112 Old 01-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Jeepsr4me19
Registered User
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: parts house
Posts: 1,541
Take a pic of the underside to show how the pipe was run,.. Turbos to me are what the factory should have Been doing. I hate how the exhaust and intake are on the same side.
Jeepsr4me19 is offline  
post #25 of 112 Old 01-02-2009, 03:49 PM
themonkeyman
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 527
I realize it would take some squeezing (as any aftgermarket turbo setup does) but I'd like to see somebody keep the turbo on the drivers side. Lot less piping involved, but lots more stuff in the way...
themonkeyman is offline  
post #26 of 112 Old 01-02-2009, 05:24 PM
myyj
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: wilkes barre
Posts: 104
this thing is awsome im jealous everything is better with a turbo
myyj is offline  
post #27 of 112 Old 01-02-2009, 08:08 PM
muddbog
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Kronach, Germany
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapinrocks View Post
My turbo is sized really good for the motor, I would say that at normal crusing speed there is no lag at all, and yes it is a home made kit. I was going to intercool it but after thinking about it I opted not to because an intercooler will just take up space and moving a 2 mph on the trail, the IC will not do a thing. Instead I will be running a water/meth injection setup. That way everytime i hit enough boost i will be a nice cool dense air charge. Im running 7psi now, the water/meth will come on a 4psi. no chips or computer mods. just used a 12:1 FMU and a booster pump. jeep pulls really hard actaully and is really nice to drive. Im located in central CT, Newington to be exact. i'll get the numbers up as soon as i get to the dyno
All that matters is that you are Happy with it. I was just putting in my 2 cents I think I would be happy with just my 350! hopefuly this year but I dunno yet I have to build a house this year! and that house note is gonna hurt

1991 YJ 2.5l
, ___
/l ,[___],
l--L --[]lllll[]-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
muddbog is offline  
post #28 of 112 Old 01-02-2009, 09:59 PM
provinT13
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 4,631
video now please!!! kthxbye!

2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline  
post #29 of 112 Old 01-02-2009, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
scrapinrocks
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 146
i might do an air to water IC but i would need a heat exchanger pump and fan, that is a last resort. I put the heat shield for the battery in, everything behind it stays surprisingly cool. it is covered with a thermal insulation designed for the high heat. i will be doing a fire sleeve on the starter when it shows up. keeping the turbo on the drivers side, my buddy just turbo'd his cherokee and the turbo is on the drivers side just because there is not enough room in the XJ to have the turbo on the passenger side. his is basically behind the drivers headlight. if he kept it under the manifold, the intake manifold would get heat soaked and you loose whatever power you gained from the boost. the 4.0's have an intake temp sensor, the warmer the air going in to the intake the computer pulls timing. by moving the sensor to the charge pipe like I did and my buddy will be too, it is seeing cooler air and providing more timing=more power. more timing also give you chance for detonation, that is what the water/meth and or IC kit will solve. i still have a lot or fine tuning to do with it.





could somebody make these click free, can't do that yet
scrapinrocks is offline  
post #30 of 112 Old 01-02-2009, 11:58 PM
Turner
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cleveland, TN
Posts: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapinrocks View Post
i might do an air to water IC but i would need a heat exchanger pump and fan, that is a last resort. I put the heat shield for the battery in, everything behind it stays surprisingly cool. it is covered with a thermal insulation designed for the high heat. i will be doing a fire sleeve on the starter when it shows up. keeping the turbo on the drivers side, my buddy just turbo'd his cherokee and the turbo is on the drivers side just because there is not enough room in the XJ to have the turbo on the passenger side. his is basically behind the drivers headlight. if he kept it under the manifold, the intake manifold would get heat soaked and you loose whatever power you gained from the boost. the 4.0's have an intake temp sensor, the warmer the air going in to the intake the computer pulls timing. by moving the sensor to the charge pipe like I did and my buddy will be too, it is seeing cooler air and providing more timing=more power. more timing also give you chance for detonation, that is what the water/meth and or IC kit will solve. i still have a lot or fine tuning to do with it.





could somebody make these click free, can't do that yet
click free

--Turner--
2006 Jeep TJ
1982 Toyota Pickup 20r/22r Hybrid, 5.29s, Lockrite frt/spool rear, Longfields, Hysteer, discs, armor, dents, smiles.
1970 Ford Bronco302, dana 30, 9", 3 on the tree, show stopper.
Turner is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Doorless, with top - picts and impressions jeepers3 JK Wrangler Technical Forum 25 03-16-2007 02:37 PM
what do you think of this? picts. lucasinpsj TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 19 10-11-2005 10:30 PM
White on red? Any picts? Skool4life? TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 6 04-02-2003 02:04 PM
rubicon kit installed. picts. CETROV TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 6 08-23-2002 09:26 AM
playing in the mud today- picts. CETROV TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 2 02-04-2002 10:49 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome