Few YJ 4.0 Turbo picts - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Few YJ 4.0 Turbo picts

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-01-2009, 10:45 PM   #16
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That is SICK! I'm jealous...

Unread 01-02-2009, 08:57 AM   #17
the_mork
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I would look into getting a top mount intercooler, I believe that some Merkur, Volkswagen, and Volvos had them and it would not take up more space then and would fit directly along your charge piping path.

I was considering doing something like this but I had previously felt like the turbo would end up too low and be in danger of contacting water which would not be a whole lot of fun but after looking at your setup I might consider it more.

What are you using for engine monitoring? Wideband? EGT? Do you have a solution so that you can log data?

It looks pretty good overall but I would carry a fire extinguisher at all times in the Jeep based on how close the hotside is to your distributor, battery, and wiring.
the_mork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2009, 10:18 AM   #18
wranglerswrock
1993 YJ Wrangler 

why do people keep telling him to use an intercooler? he has already backed it up with a logical reason... it wont do squat for him while going slow, so why take up the space? plus isnt water/meth more effective anyhow?

either way, that looks incredible man, im really jealous. my friends and i thought about doing something like that to mine, but decided against it. mainly because i am still learning about turboing stuff. i better learn fast though lol, my vr4 wont wait!
wranglerswrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #19
the_mork
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerswrock View Post
why do people keep telling him to use an intercooler? he has already backed it up with a logical reason... it wont do squat for him while going slow, so why take up the space? plus isnt water/meth more effective anyhow?
Water/meth are great but they should not be considered a straight replacement for an intercooler, usually they are used in conjunction. Certainly you can get away without using an intercooler but a top mount would fit just fine and it would lower CATs even while moving slowly. An intercooler would also create more power and throttle response while on the road as well as adding a huge safety factor for the engine and increased longevity by decreasing knock.

Short answer: he can run it how he likes but I think everyone agrees that if there is an easy way to put on on then that would be for the best.

As for your vr4 are you referencing a Galant or a 3KGT? If it is the Galant then check out dsmtuners.com
Unread 01-02-2009, 11:25 AM   #20
themonkeyman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerswrock View Post

either way, that looks incredible man, im really jealous. my friends and i thought about doing something like that to mine, but decided against it. mainly because i am still learning about turboing stuff. i better learn fast though lol, my vr4 wont wait!

If he uses a liquid-to-air IC it will work just fine at low speeds.

Sweet job though! As mentioned, you're hairdryer is rather close to the accessories/wiring, and Dist. Might wanna add some heat shielding on the front half of that puppy, just to ensure you don't fry your wiring and get stranded.

Just my $.02
themonkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #21
the_mork
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I would also look into relocating the battery to the back seat.

I wouldn't be as concerned about the alt as the battery, I know my alt is a lot closer to the hotside of the turbo on my eclipse than yours is. Relocating would also give you more room to run wiring farther away and let you get a better angle on your downpipe.
Unread 01-02-2009, 01:49 PM   #22
yunkj17
2005 LJ Wrangler 

i would def ad alot of heatwrap to every part of that thing
()_)-()_)--o-)_)
yunkj17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2009, 01:52 PM   #23
Brads_nky_yj

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_mork View Post
Water/meth are great but they should not be considered a straight replacement for an intercooler, usually they are used in conjunction. Certainly you can get away without using an intercooler but a top mount would fit just fine and it would lower CATs even while moving slowly. An intercooler would also create more power and throttle response while on the road as well as adding a huge safety factor for the engine and increased longevity by decreasing knock.

Short answer: he can run it how he likes but I think everyone agrees that if there is an easy way to put on on then that would be for the best.

As for your vr4 are you referencing a Galant or a 3KGT? If it is the Galant then check out dsmtuners.com
That would be his 3000GT. Its gonna be sweet if it ever gets worked on!!
Unread 01-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #24
Jeepsr4me19
1976 CJ5 

Take a pic of the underside to show how the pipe was run,.. Turbos to me are what the factory should have Been doing. I hate how the exhaust and intake are on the same side.
Unread 01-02-2009, 03:49 PM   #25
themonkeyman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I realize it would take some squeezing (as any aftgermarket turbo setup does) but I'd like to see somebody keep the turbo on the drivers side. Lot less piping involved, but lots more stuff in the way...
themonkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2009, 05:24 PM   #26
myyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

this thing is awsome im jealous everything is better with a turbo
myyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2009, 08:08 PM   #27
muddbog
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapinrocks View Post
My turbo is sized really good for the motor, I would say that at normal crusing speed there is no lag at all, and yes it is a home made kit. I was going to intercool it but after thinking about it I opted not to because an intercooler will just take up space and moving a 2 mph on the trail, the IC will not do a thing. Instead I will be running a water/meth injection setup. That way everytime i hit enough boost i will be a nice cool dense air charge. Im running 7psi now, the water/meth will come on a 4psi. no chips or computer mods. just used a 12:1 FMU and a booster pump. jeep pulls really hard actaully and is really nice to drive. Im located in central CT, Newington to be exact. i'll get the numbers up as soon as i get to the dyno
All that matters is that you are Happy with it. I was just putting in my 2 cents I think I would be happy with just my 350! hopefuly this year but I dunno yet I have to build a house this year! and that house note is gonna hurt
[COLOR="red"]l--L --[/COLOR][][COLOR="Silver"]lllll[/COLOR][][COLOR="red"]-[/COLOR]
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
muddbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2009, 09:59 PM   #28
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

video now please!!! kthxbye!

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2009, 11:30 PM   #29
scrapinrocks
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i might do an air to water IC but i would need a heat exchanger pump and fan, that is a last resort. I put the heat shield for the battery in, everything behind it stays surprisingly cool. it is covered with a thermal insulation designed for the high heat. i will be doing a fire sleeve on the starter when it shows up. keeping the turbo on the drivers side, my buddy just turbo'd his cherokee and the turbo is on the drivers side just because there is not enough room in the XJ to have the turbo on the passenger side. his is basically behind the drivers headlight. if he kept it under the manifold, the intake manifold would get heat soaked and you loose whatever power you gained from the boost. the 4.0's have an intake temp sensor, the warmer the air going in to the intake the computer pulls timing. by moving the sensor to the charge pipe like I did and my buddy will be too, it is seeing cooler air and providing more timing=more power. more timing also give you chance for detonation, that is what the water/meth and or IC kit will solve. i still have a lot or fine tuning to do with it.

could somebody make these click free, can't do that yet
scrapinrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2009, 11:58 PM   #30
Turner
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapinrocks View Post
i might do an air to water IC but i would need a heat exchanger pump and fan, that is a last resort. I put the heat shield for the battery in, everything behind it stays surprisingly cool. it is covered with a thermal insulation designed for the high heat. i will be doing a fire sleeve on the starter when it shows up. keeping the turbo on the drivers side, my buddy just turbo'd his cherokee and the turbo is on the drivers side just because there is not enough room in the XJ to have the turbo on the passenger side. his is basically behind the drivers headlight. if he kept it under the manifold, the intake manifold would get heat soaked and you loose whatever power you gained from the boost. the 4.0's have an intake temp sensor, the warmer the air going in to the intake the computer pulls timing. by moving the sensor to the charge pipe like I did and my buddy will be too, it is seeing cooler air and providing more timing=more power. more timing also give you chance for detonation, that is what the water/meth and or IC kit will solve. i still have a lot or fine tuning to do with it.

could somebody make these click free, can't do that yet
click free
1970 Ford Bronco302, dana 30, 9", 3 on the tree, show stopper.
Turner is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.