Few Questions From a Newbie - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Few Questions From a Newbie

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 01-19-2014, 06:17 PM   #1
duff13
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Few Questions From a Newbie

I posted this over at wranglerforum and got no answer after 54 reads so I figured it'd try here. Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and a new jeep owner. I bought a 88 Yj about two months ago with the 4.2 ba-10 Sahara Edition. I recently did the 4.0 head swap from my 94 Cherokee donor but have a few questions that I can't seem to find the answer on.

1. Which crossover pipe will work to match up my factory exhaust to the Cherokee stock header?

2. What are people getting to block off the EGR hole on the underside of the carb intake manifold?

3. There is a tube that was connected to the right side of the exhaust manifold (4.2) that ran on the inside of the stock crossover to the passenger side and back over again. I cut that pipe to get the stock manifold off the jeep. What is that pipe and can I block it off?

Thanks for the help you guys provided in your head swap write ups.

duff13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 06:30 PM   #2
GrEmLiN
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If your 4.2 down pipe doesn't connect to the 4.0 exhaust manifold then you're looking for a downpipe from a 4.0 equipped YJ. What's different, just the flanges? I think the 4.0 used a ball style but I'm not sure.

Check Summit Racing or Clifford Performance for an EGR block-off plate. Depending on the shape, AutoZone or Advance Auto etc may have a universal-ish plate hanging in one of their go-fast-goodie isles.

If you're handy you can grab a small roll of rubber gasket material from the above stores and make a gasket and form a piece of plate steel into a EGR delete.

Lastly, those tubes were part of the air injection system, for smog/pollution control. It would inject recirculated intake air into the exhaust to aid the catalytic converter in doing its thing.

I found a big bolt in my junk bin and hammered it in there. And it was in there for a LONG time. One night though I was horsing around and took a buddy for a womp around the block with some WOT blasts. One of them blew the bolt right out. Two nights later I drove around the area it happened and eventually found it in the street. Put it back in with a hose clamp for good measure. Lol no more problems. (You could maybe tack yours in)
GrEmLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 06:55 PM   #3
duff13
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Now the question is do I need the air injection. I know I don't need the egr but there is a lot of stuff that goes along with that air injection.

I will look into the egr block off plate. But I'll see what others have to say before I make a move.

Thanks for the reply.
Unread 01-19-2014, 07:53 PM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

What are the emissions requirement there? That will becide how to modify your fuel delivery.
Unread 01-19-2014, 08:23 PM   #5
duff13
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My yj is registered in a non emissions county. So I don't have to worry about any of that. I just wanna get everything fixed so I can get this back in the road. So if I gotta cut chop plug, I'll do it. Less stuff in the engine bay the more room to work.
Unread 01-19-2014, 11:40 PM   #6
GrEmLiN
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Rip out all the air injection and air pump crap. All smog should go, a better carb and hotter ignition should be added, all ports in and out should be port matched as well as the gaskets and maybe a header. The stock cam is pretty torquey and with better fuel metering and exhaust it's a great performer.

There's miles of hoses, tubes, smog devices and extra wiring that can be taken out of these things.
Unread 01-20-2014, 07:47 AM   #7
duff13
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah since this is my first jeep I'm not sure what can go and what has to stay. I'm currently running a motorcraft 2100 carb and I'm gonna be getting a comp cam with new lifters. If anyone has a diagram of what can pulled that would be awesome.
Unread 01-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #8
GrEmLiN
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you're doing a cam then definitely go for a Holley 350 two barrel carb upgrade, a header would be suggested, and I would say why not do the water pump and timing chain while you're in there?? That leaves bearings and rings as original and pretty much everything else is new.

Also after all that, a switch to better oil (like Rotella-T 15W40) is also good for added protection.
Unread 01-20-2014, 11:50 AM   #9
duff13
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well not sure about the carb setup right now. I have a brand new rebuilt MC2100 on it and I like it. If I do upgrade it would be for the Holley truck avenger carb.

No on to the air injection system. There are hoses on the passenger side that that tube runs into. Can I remove that mess?
Unread 01-23-2014, 02:47 PM   #10
GrEmLiN
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry for late reply- yes. If you have even a basic Chiltons or Hanes manual it should tell you with enough detail to explain what those tubes do and what can be safely removed.

I took it all out... ALL if it lol.
Unread 02-04-2014, 05:09 PM   #11
duff13
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Finished. Well I ordered the 94yj head pipe. Used a drain plug to block the O2 sensor and then used another drain plug to block the egr hole on the underside of the intake Manny.

After a couple hours of cutting fitting and welding I finally got everything together. Not the prettiest, but for a temp exhaust job it works great. I still have yet to block the egr valve. But if nothing is hooked up to it does it still operate?

Thanks for the help
Unread 02-04-2014, 05:10 PM   #12
duff13
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Oh and I took all the extra crap out. Looks much better in the engine bay.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.